The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wearing hind boots 24/7????

My horse is now at a new barn where he is going to be on 24/7 turnout. I noticed that he is cutting himself of the inside of his rear fetlocks. I am not sure when he has done this, wether out in the field at the old barn or in the stall. He does track straight so not sure how he is knocking himself. Can I put boots on him 24/7? I don't like this idea but that was my first thought. What else can I do to prevent him from cutting himself? Thanks

I would talk to your farrier to see if there are hoof issues that need to be addressed, for why he is now hitting himself. A chat with your vet may not be a bad idea, to make sure he doesn't have soreness somewhere causing him to not move straight (my mare does this in front).
    If you need to leave something on 24/7, I'd be inclined to try something like the Kensington fly boots, that will breathe and still give some abrasion resistance. Make sure to take them off and reapply every day.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't put boots on and leave them on for any longer than a work takes - you will end up with loads of problems, the least of which is going to be dirt and scald; same with bandages. If you absolutely feel compelled to put boots on, use two pair of bell boots, one on upside down and the other rightside up. This is going to sound weird and cruel but sometimes they learn not to hit themselves if they whack themselves a few times - I'm not talking conformational defects but just inattention to where they place their feet.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Don't do it! A "barn manager" once left boots on my horse for a week when I had to go away. When I got home, I had to soak and peel the boots off. Along with the boots came all hair and most skin. Those legs took months to heal and could only wear real sheepskin-lined boots for the rest of his life.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Don't do it! A "barn manager" once left boots on my horse for a week when I had to go away. When I got home, I had to soak and peel the boots off. Along with the boots came all hair and most skin. Those legs took months to heal and could only wear real sheepskin-lined boots for the rest of his life.
    OMG. fdjsaklfdjskla I would have JFKLSJF KSLDFSK LOST IT!!!!!! So sorry for your poor guy, and you! OY.

Yeah, I wouldn't put boots on 24/7. My last horse needed fixes to his shoeing, and a shorter schedule to not catch himself behind. My current 4yo just needed a few good, hard knocks to remember where to place his feet. Most of the time.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I agree-check with the farrier. Also, give him a thorough once over. Have you cleaned his sheath recently? Good insect protection? He may be kicking at something uncomfortable and catching himself.

His sheath has been cleaned, and he gets Equispot every 2 weeks and Endure fly spray daily. He did not do this for the first 2-3 months that I owned him. It could have been caused by my other farrier which I was having trouble with. I have since switched, but the injuries did occur while he was the farrier so that could be the problem. I will mention something to my new farrier. I did put on some desitin and Vaseline to prevent more injuries and maybe the hooves will just slide off and not cut him again.

Where exactly is he cutting himself?

I had a gelding that I leased that would whack the inside pastern area of his hinds and when shod, would tear up that skin with nicks and cuts. His owner gave me some modified boots he'd wear during turnout...it was a cheap pair of neoprene splint boots cut into three little bands (one for each strip of velcro). I would put that on his pastern and it was enough to protect him.

Basically something like this:

Yep, I would take a close look at the heels of the hind shoes and see what is going on with them.

As far as boots - like others have said, do not put boots on the legs. But I think soft pull on bell boots behind would be ok - might protect his legs from the heels of his shoes.