The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    If the barns were there first, then these people "moved to the nuisance." It's their problem.
    You'd think, but this is absolutely not how the world works.

The way the world works is this: land will be used in the end for the greater good. Of course our idea of what constitutes the greater good is the horses. But for the majority of people it's no horses, and the philosophy is that although there were farms and horses before, times have changed, and now the majority of people don't like the horses and therefore the horses must go. I've seen this happen again and again, and been told flat out that's how most people feel: that was then, this is now, and it's time for the horses (cows/dogs/chickens, whatever) to go elsewhere.

I know a woman who has a boarding kennel, properly licensed and inspected. It's been there for probably 20 years, maybe longer, and the place has been a farm since the 1700's, with a 1700s house she lives in. The zoning where she lives has changed since she's been there - she couldn't get a kennel license today, but no matter, she's grandfathered in. Adjoining land has been sold over the years and there are now houses nearby. Of course her farm (horses, sheep, chickens) and boarding kennel have been there since before these houses were built, but the people who live in them now have complained to the township because they now live near a boarding kennel and they don't like it. Guess who lost? The township has agreed that her properly licensed facility, grandfathered in, must be shut down. Why? Because she's one household saying YEA while there are 5 households saying NAY. Majority rules, the neighborhood has changed and the boarding kennel is no longer acceptable to the new people.

\

I find it even more appalling the guy owns a steer. You expect your fellow livestock owners to be a little more tolerant.

I'm utterly astonished that one person listed in the article, "Mark Caputo, emergency room chief at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale" would be OK with Ms. Laramee's actions that could cause injury to others. Or at least, I'm assuming that he is, considering his name is listed right along with hers. I guess as long as Dr. Caputo isn't doing the harm himself, he thinks that it's OK.

Additionally, I love that when you do a Google search of the properties (which I did, because I was curious as to how the layout of the land looks), if you look at the street view, the Laramees have two posts outside of their driveway with statues of rearing horses. Street view also gives an idea of just how narrow that street is, how close the paddocks and such are to the road, and how dangerous it could be for riders if some jerk came screeching along in their car.
    Last edited by see u at x; Jun. 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Not horses, but I live near a refinery. I'm not fond of it but it was built a few years before I was born (~1956-57). When I bought my house I knew it was close.

Now we have a bunch of McMansion dwellers up the road who want to shut the refinery down.

I just want to see the 5 square mile tarp they covered it with when the dwellers came to look at the houses because obviously someone must have hidden it from them.
    perhaps they had something like this?
    http://twistedsifter.com/2012/01/cam...-netting-wwii/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    People want to say they live in the country but lord help us if there are really country farms and animals. Rrrrrr.
    Oh yes, this sums it up so well!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Quote Originally Posted by 2horseygirls View Post
    I found this handout years ago - perhaps if you live in an area where subdivisions are encroaching - or you just have new from-the-city neighbors - it might be worth a share.

http://www.granitehillsdesign.com/ru...ralHandout.pdf

I live outside Chicago, and you always hear about someone who knows someone who is complaining because their condo backs up to the El tracks.

Like, seriously? Did you think the elevated train tracks were a modern art installation - across the whole city???

God bless the realtor or developer who asked their buyers to sign the release acknowledging those things that come with living near horses -- and how sad that our country has come to spelling out common sense.

And for the wingnut in the article who came up behind the riders honking and waving -- I'm thinking her actions could induce serious physical harm to person and property, and a few temporary restraining orders should be issued. If she had done that behind my Percheron gelding, she'd have been in for a big surprise when he kicked out her radiator or smushed the front end of her precious white Mercedes!

Ah! Yours is better than mine.... many moons ago this was linked on COTH and I've saved it to give folks moving out to live in "nature"....

http://www.gallatin.mt.gov/Public_Do...bdocs/codewest
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    It happened where I board several years back. I could tell stories all day about those yuppie citidiot assholes and the headaches they have caused us, especially their adderall-fueled, spastic, rude trespassing yuppie crotch-spawn. I've never felt such a hatred in my soul for my fellow man until they built the McMansions by our barn.

Those people in the news article, I feel their pain. Acutely.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    but being rude and dangerous just because they don't get their way is ridiculous.
    Welcome to America....
    I am the humanist, atheist, liberal, pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, outspoken, science-loving feminist that your parents warned you about.

Last night I read Carl Hiassen's new book "Bad Monkey" All of his books take place in Florida and I always find them hilarious and just slightly over the top. After reading some more on this, maybe he is more spot on than over the top.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    Is it widespread ignorance? Or widespread selfishness?
    In answer to your question: YES

I am a former "citiot" who relocated to my farmette 9yrs ago so I could have my horses at home.
    Now I'm glad the county redid the zoning laws so less than 10ac (I have 5) cannot be subdivided.
    This assures me that once past the 5 new subdivisions that sprang up after I moved here, but prior to the rezoning, there is no danger of the small acreages surrounding me turning into the housing equivalent of Cube Farm offices.

So far I have understanding neighbors, many of whom have horses too.

The funniest story I've heard was the subdividers who moved in to the development that bordered a forested area and were scandalized when hunting season opened and people were shooting BAMBI! right at the end of their backyards.
    Oh, the horror.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I'm utterly astonished that one person listed in the article, "Mark Caputo, emergency room chief at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale" would be OK with Ms. Laramee's actions that could cause injury to others. Or at least, I'm assuming that he is, considering his name is listed right along with hers. I guess as long as Dr. Caputo isn't doing the harm himself, he thinks that it's OK.
    ....It's been slow at the hospital and he's trying to drum up business?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post
    Ah! Yours is better than mine.... many moons ago this was linked on COTH and I've saved it to give folks moving out to live in "nature"....

More brutal perhaps, but I personally don't think we've done our citizenry any favors by making these invisible issues, and then people b*tch about their taxes and local government doing "nothing". Nutcases like these FL people would be too busy dealing with their own lives and not harassing the neighbor if they had to sort their own recycling and trash and take it to the center and then the dump, mow and maintain their own common areas on a work share basis, and deal with the water being off for part of the day or the power being off for days. Even if they had to pay for someone to do these things for them they would still (maybe) understand.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
    Exactly, that's what my parent's said. They aren't "horsey" people at all, but they don't like stupid people. My mom is kind of worried the horses will eventually be removed, she doesn't want the stupid people to win.
    Then, they should be sure and stay informed of any actions the city/county might take, show up at meetings, and SUPPORT the equine community. I am sure if they asked the farm's owners to keep them informed, they would!!

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Last night I read Carl Hiassen's new book "Bad Monkey" All of his books take place in Florida and I always find them hilarious and just slightly over the top. After reading some more on this, maybe he is more spot on than over the top.
    He's pretty funny. However, I prefer to think that most of the nutcases live way down in southern Florida. You know, where those knotheads are screaming at child riders and whackos are butchering other people's horses for meat. Too far south for the oak hammocks and pine trees to grow. That must be it. Not enough shade fries their brains.
    “Time and time again he bears us on his shoulders. No one can strip us of the dignity bestowed upon us by this boundless and unfailing love.".

-Pope Francis

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I prefer to think that most of the nutcases live way down in southern Florida. You know, where those knotheads are screaming at child riders and whackos are butchering other people's horses for meat. Too far south for the oak hammocks and pine trees to grow. That must be it. Not enough shade fries their brains.
    That, and the fact that in Northern Florida, acting like that would get a person shot in short order.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Chase the trouble. - Buck Brannaman

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post

That is fantastic! Have bookmarked it