The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    When we bought a house in a little neighborhood right next to a dressage facility in Arizona, we had to sign something saying that we understood there were horses next door and that there might be dust, smells, noise, etc.

Nothing could be worse than the apartment we rented next to the golf course! In the summer they started *backing* the golf carts out of the parking area before 5am. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    My whole county has a "Right to Farm" section in the County Code that you have to sign off on when you buy property in the county:

"D. An additional purpose of this law is to promote a good neighbor policy by advising purchasers and users of property adjacent to or near agricultural operations of the inherent conditions associated with such purchase or use. These conditions include, but are not limited to, noises, odors, dust, flies, chemicals, smoke, vibration, and hours of operations that may accompany agricultural operations. It is intended that, through mandatory disclosures, purchasers and users will better understand the impact of living near agricultural operations and be prepared to accept attendant conditions as the natural result of living in or near rural areas. However, this law shall be effective regardless of whether disclosure was made in accordance with ยง 149-6 herein ("Right to farm notice and real estate transfer disclosure"). "

We also have a zoning thing that says that you can't split more than 5 (or maybe 4) lots off of an existing farm...

4 members found this post helpful.

I found this handout years ago - perhaps if you live in an area where subdivisions are encroaching - or you just have new from-the-city neighbors - it might be worth a share.

http://www.granitehillsdesign.com/ru...ralHandout.pdf

I live outside Chicago, and you always hear about someone who knows someone who is complaining because their condo backs up to the El tracks.

Like, seriously? Did you think the elevated train tracks were a modern art installation - across the whole city???

God bless the realtor or developer who asked their buyers to sign the release acknowledging those things that come with living near horses -- and how sad that our country has come to spelling out common sense.

And for the wingnut in the article who came up behind the riders honking and waving -- I'm thinking her actions could induce serious physical harm to person and property, and a few temporary restraining orders should be issued. If she had done that behind my Percheron gelding, she'd have been in for a big surprise when he kicked out her radiator or smushed the front end of her precious white Mercedes!

2 members found this post helpful.

I found this handout years ago - perhaps if you live in an area where subdivisions are encroaching - or you just have new from-the-city neighbors - it might be worth a share.

http://www.granitehillsdesign.com/ru...ralHandout.pdf
    I'm keeping that link, it's useful and amusing!
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
    I'm keeping that link, it's useful and amusing!
    Though I do find the obsession with outdoor lighting a little odd---EVERYONE here has a security light. Otherwise you're in pitch black, with no nearby homes, and no way of seeing anyone outside. Farther out in the country my parents have motion-detector lights and a drive alarm, too. (The water-wasting stuff tipped me this must be from out west. On the list of things we don't generally worry about around here....)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Though I do find the obsession with outdoor lighting a little odd---EVERYONE here has a security light. Otherwise you're in pitch black, with no nearby homes, and no way of seeing anyone outside. Farther out in the country my parents have motion-detector lights and a drive alarm, too.
    I think that pamphlet describes the new house around the corner from us pretty well though. We jokingly call that the shopping mall. They installed fixtures all along their horse shoe driveway on both sides. Each fixture has four lights in it. There are four fixtures right next to the road, four more up the drive some and a few more near the house.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think that pamphlet describes the new house around the corner from us pretty well though. We jokingly call that the shopping mall. They installed fixtures all along their horse shoe driveway on both sides. Each fixture has four lights in it. There are four fixtures right next to the road, four more up the drive some and a few more near the house.
    ....They have night-vision problems? (Given the way my power company keeps raising charges, mostly to cover "optimization", they must be RICH or have really efficient lights.)

I actually don't mind our McMansion neighbor's outdoor lighting too much. All the better to see their bratty little kids sneaking along our fence line and yes, I've caught their kids screwing around on our fences and gates a couple times by the glow of their own lights.

Doesn't happen so much now that we've got double strands of hot wire juiced up around the perimeter of our regular fencing (which also has hot wire around the top).

Their outdoor lighting is one of the things I find least offensive about those people.

The riding arena at my lesson barn is close to the road, and we don't have a week go by that someone doesn't drive past, blaring their horn. Luckily the horses have grown so used to it that the driver never gets the reaction they're hoping for. It's so frustrating, there's nothing you can do but keep your fingers crossed that karma acts swiftly.

Hopefully the jerks in the article will just end up with a huge bill for attorney's fees and not much else.

1 members found this post helpful.

I DETEST "light pollution." I believe night should be dark, for the sake of the wildlife and migrating birds, not to mention my horses' night vision and mine, since I frequently feed after dark in the winter.

Two bunches of our New Neighbors had it explained to them as graciously as I could muster; one family I bribed with wine on Christmas accompanied by a note (twice), the other found out "through the grapevine" that That Simply Isn't Done Here, Dear--"that" being a house that looked after dark like a 787 had just landed in the front yard. Bad enough we have to look at their wack-architecture McM's in the daylight, never mind all night too!

4 members found this post helpful.

Our cross country team back in high school was in high spirits one day during a run and a woman came whipping around the corner and almost hit us while we were running single file on the proper side. She, of course, started blaring on her horn and screaming at us. We turned around and run right at her. She panicked and stopped and we ran past on both sides while one runner ran right over her hood, LOL! If only we could do that with a horse.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

6 members found this post helpful.

Our big sodium vapor security light is wired direct to the power on the pole, by the power company and they charged a fixed sum per month. We don't have here the same kind of atmospherics that you got out in the desert where the stars are in your lap, I think it's the humidity in the air, but I never had the power company turn mine back on either, (it was disconnected by the previous owner) even though one neighbor asked if we would, he used it to tell when he had to come inside - when our light went on.

I love the pamphlet but it cracks me up that here in KY the ATV crowd are the country people who have been here forever as well as the new people. The pamphlet mentions San Diego county so that makes it desert southwest/CA.

I think that using one's car for a weapon goes past honking at horses, as a bicyclist I had people shout at me and disrespect my right to be on the road, not to mention try to lean out of the car and touch me, toss bottles and cans etc..

People nowadays don't really understand the difference between public and private property, what an easement really is and all that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post

People nowadays don't really understand the difference between public and private property, what an easement really is and all that.
    Amen to that. The president of the HOA next to us swerved up on to the curb in his BMW trying to hit/spook a girl from our barn, she had to drag her horse into a yard to avoid him. Poor woman had been back in the woods riding and her horse threw a front shoe, started limping so she got him on the subdivision street dismounted and was walking him back to the barn.

She called the police and pressed charges on him...his defense? She had her horse on *his* roads, the roads that belonged exclusively to the subdivision. Nice police man explained to him they are not a gated community, the roads belong to the county for everyone to use, the county paid to have the roads put in, pays to keep them clean and pays to keep them repaired. Then he arrested the guy for attempting to commit vehicular assault. If I recall correctly he got a week in county pokey over the whole ordeal, smarted off to the judge if the story I got was correct. I still see that a-hole from time to time, any time I have to cut through the subdivision in my big diesel truck I make sure to drive past his house. Rumor has it idling diesel engines at the stop sign on his corner makes him furious, he can't stand the noise.

15 members found this post helpful.

More on the story, including more asshattery by Laura Laramee. http://www.myactsofsedition.com/2013...laura-laramee/
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

WOW!!! I hope the officers asked to interview the "blind friend".

We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Y'know, I read these things and marvel at the difference in how some folks live.

Around here, just as soon as she heard somebody messed with her young'un, little Britney Taylor Courtney's mama woulda yanked Ms. Laramee out the window of that Mercedes by the roots of her highlighted hair and y'all, it woulda been on.

Not that we have any McMansions here where the likes of Ms. Laramee would deign to live. I'm in the only house on my dirt road that has never had wheels on it - and that's only because my house was probably built before they were invented.

Reading this thread, though, I am very grateful for my uncivilized little corner of the world.
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; Jun. 18, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

11 members found this post helpful.

It looks like in this particular situation, there is more to it than idiot newbies getting upset about an existing barn. Read those links (and more contained within).

Oh, and in this police report, Mr. Laramee claimed that he was using the airhorne to "train his Brahma steer". Errrr, ok. http://www.myactsofsedition.com/wp-c...s/0554_001.pdf

Geez. All I had to worry about in Alaska were the grizzlies, and I could shoot them if they charged me or went after my horses. :-)

This whole thread makes me want to punch kittens.... and I LOVE kittens. People are ridiculous, these are the reasons I want to live somewhere that I can theoretically do the barn chores naked and never see a sole (in actuality naked hay handling would be terrible!!) I hope they total their cars texting and driving one day.

I have actually been chased by a pick-up truck BACKWARDS on a trail. The asswaffel was a trail maintenance committee member who didn't know his own trail use regulations. When I finally managed to stop my bolting terrified TB gelding who had at that time broken the rules and ran on the "improved surface" I came completely unglued (I was pretty terrified too) I was probably 16 and less than 90 lbs and said very VERY un-lady-like things and if I can recall I think I got off my horse and tried to grab him by his neck before being intercepted by my mother and a fellow rider. It was uncouth of me and probably not the best way to handle things but I was livid at his stupidity.

I also try to educate people about horses/ bikes on roadways in a kind way because they will always choose the incorrect way to act if given the opportunity. Example being when I was riding a relatively green arab on the roads around my farm and of all people my boyfriends cousin comes FLYING past me and lays on his horn. Poor pony about did a split and leapt forward but reacted pretty well considering. We had a chat when I got back to the barn (his aunt lived next door) and he explained that he didn't want to scare the horse or injure me he just thought it would be safer if he passed faster so there would be less time for the horse to jump out and the horn was because he just didn't consider it might scare a horse and he was merely saying hi. To me it was like DUHHH but he really was like "you mean to tell me that wasn't the right thing to do??" people really are just un educated sometimes.

When I moved into that barn there were no horses there and I went to all of the close neighbors gave them a plate of cookies, my contact info, and told them to call me if any of the horses ever ended up in their yard or if they ever wanted to come over and learn more about them. I also ask that they stay out of the fields and never handle them without permission. (really unnecessary but hey I'd rather cover common sense) I never had issues they smiled and waved and I only had one neighbor call me a handful of time to tell me hudini horse was in his yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post

Oh, and in this police report, Mr. Laramee claimed that he was using the airhorne to "train his Brahma steer". Errrr, ok. http://www.myactsofsedition.com/wp-c...s/0554_001.pdf
    oh myyyyy lmao... sureee