The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It definitely happens the world over! I agree with Dream* above, it happens here in little NZ which is basically one big farm. I used to ride my horses down a small very narrow, winding rural road very close to Wellington (our capital city).
    1) the idiot that thought, if he tooted, I would get out of the way? Oh well, I explained the Traffic Regulations when my very steady eddy booted out his headlights on his sportscar ... okay, the second kick was probably unwarranted, Jess old man
    2) the gang of predatory cyclists that bunched around my 3 year old out for her first road ride yelling abuse and for me to get off the country road 'cause they wanted to use it. Thanks to the farmer who kindly opened the gate onto his farm (he didnt allow riding over it at all) to get me out of harms way - my mare was shaking and I had seen the ground come close a few times . His language was very colourful. Their language was slightly more colourful, when they came back down this dead-end road to find the stock truck parked completely across the road. And, oh yes, the cop waiting for them on the other side - we had just got mobile coverage that week and they didnt know it.
    3) another (slightly smaller) gang of cyclists who were having a lunch break right in the front paddock and with the gate open! Oh yes, my old horse Jess liked food -only things he didnt like were brussel sprouts and lemons - oh yes, and he was rather persistent and you really did need to know how to deal with him .... and Harry the Hairy Hereford Bull ... and the farmer coming over with all his dogs - about 9-10 of them - all big lab-sized dogs except for that nasty heading b*tch.

Now, where I live in a very "still farming" rural area, your horse is supposed to be able to cope with milk tankers, stock trucks, large tractors towing noisy trailers or carrying large rounds of hay on the front forks and cars driving on gravel roads and .... but we think it is "rush hour" when we meet more than 6 vehicles on a 2-hour hack

Even here, I had a visitor complain about how noisy the country was - well, she did come when we were baling baleage which is basically done in a 24 hour period and, yes, the tractors are going all night and ...
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

9 members found this post helpful.

OMG this thread...my blood pressure...I just want to sit out at the barn and wait for a trespassing yuppie to saunter up and start complaining about flies or manure so I can give him/her a chainsaw enema.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Sort of like the nimrods who buy land at 80 cents an acre at the end of the airport runway and then complain that the aircraft noise is keeping their baby awake. Well duh.

Yup. Here at my base we've had first T-37s, then T-6s, flying the exact same pattern at 500' and 1000' since the early 70s. There are two separate homeowners at the corner of one runway's pattern who moved there about a decade ago. One of them spends his time sitting on his dock taking photos of every single tail number and reporting them for "making excessive noise".

The other guy bought some signal flares that are advertised to go to 500' and started shooting them at the planes overhead. His logic was that we're not supposed to fly lower than 500', so if one hit a plane, not his problem because it was flying too low The FBI had a little chat with him about that one.

People are insane.

13 members found this post helpful.

I grew up in the area they call "the Ranches" in the article. In the 70s it was 5-20 ac farms, lots of horses and orange groves. We rode all over, day, night..... Then in the 80s the market began to boom, taxes went up, ag exemptions were lost (My dad was told flat out that no one raises horses for profit in Broward County - he had TB mares and stood a stallion..... wound up moving them to Ocala), investors came in and the 10AC parcels were divided into three lots with an access drive..... the houses were as big as the lots, almost all of it under roof or patio or tennis court. There are still some farms there, but for the most part, it's houses. The various Ranches areas have consolidated into the town of Southwest Ranches, but...... It's real close to Weston (which, of course, was Everglades in the 70's).
    How can they get away with it? Easy. $$, politics, and more $$.

3 members found this post helpful.

How can they get away with it? Easy. $$, politics, and more $$
    Exactly, that's what my parent's said. They aren't "horsey" people at all, but they don't like stupid people. My mom is kind of worried the horses will eventually be removed, she doesn't want the stupid people to win.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not horses, but I live near a refinery. I'm not fond of it but it was built a few years before I was born (~1956-57). When I bought my house I knew it was close.

Now we have a bunch of McMansion dwellers up the road who want to shut the refinery down.

I just want to see the 5 square mile tarp they covered it with when the dwellers came to look at the houses because obviously someone must have hidden it from them.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Farm where I used to ride sold off some property into big lots (most 7-11 acres) for fancy homes. The deeds included a riding easement so we could continue to hack across the very edges of the properties, over away from the houses, and access other trails and remaining non-contiguous portions of the farm property.

It was IN THE DEEDS. These people knew they were allowing occasional horse traffic across the edge of their property at the time when they purchased it.

Well, after being yelled at, honked at, and having dogs set loose on us by various new landowners, we pretty much had to stop going over there, even though it was specifically allowed. Not worth the danger.
    Same situation where I used to board. Most everyone was like ohhhh horsey how cool, but there was one lady who used to scream, yell, tell us to leave etc. She used to go so far as to get logs, branches , shrub and BLOCK the exit from the barn to the trail. I used to get so mad that I would tear that down every single time whether i planned to ride off property or not. What a nut.
    The oddest part though was I got dumped one day and couldn't catch my at that time, young, green horse and she not only called the barn for help but came out with an apple to catch her. Bizarre. lol

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    When we bought a house in a little neighborhood right next to a dressage facility in Arizona, we had to sign something saying that we understood there were horses next door and that there might be dust, smells, noise, etc.
    Who made you sign that document?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have to say, at least the authorities in the linked article were citing people and realizing their dangerous behavior for what it is.

There was a situation near me where a neighbor got into a feud with a barn owner and began harassing the BO's clients, speeding by them in her vehicle, blaring the horn. One day, she pulled up beside a group of children out riding their ponies and backfired her truck.

BO (who was loath to escalate the situation) finally called the police. The officer who came out was horsey, and sought a warrant for the harasser for assault with a deadly weapon. Unfortunately, the citified magistrate dropped it down to breach of the peace. It did solve the harassment, though, since the harasser was in danger of losing her job upon a criminal conviction, even for a misdemeanor. She worked a deal to do pre-trial intervention, which would leave her with a clean record, so long as she had no other charges.

5 members found this post helpful.

Road rage comes in all forms. Sadly, I am trying to buy the woods next door to ensure I have some place to ride when the road is no longer safe....
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

I know the noise and animal complaints have been happening for years, but I think a big reason it's getting worse is entitled idiots. People who were raised as the center of the universe, never heard the word "No", and always get whatever they want. Helicopter parents, and overindulgent parents have raised generations of kids who think whatever they want should and will happen. The Citiots who move to the country and expect it to turn into a big manicured suburb are the result of that.

I got a kick out of the Washington Post article about the people who moved to Loudon Co., into the huge house on the big plot of land, and lasted I think, about six months before moving back to the city. They complained to the paper about the lack of services (I guess that was the fact that no one shoveled their driveway for them for free, you had to stroll to the gate with garbage, or for mail pick up, there was a lot of maintenance, strange animals and noises made their life hell, and their kids had to ride the bus or be driven to school, and it was miles away. People don't do research about what it will be like to live out in the country, and I'm sure some realtors make out very well from people moving to the country, and moving right back to the city.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Who made you sign that document?
    I bet it was the developer (it was new construction). It was part of the pile of closing documents, with the acknowledgement that we had received the CC&R's, etc.

It probably served to protect the developer from buyers wanting a refund because they moved into their shiny new house and discovered that a horse was pooping on the other side of the block wall.

There were housing developments going up next to *dairies* (and we are not talking grass fed cows) and I can only imagine what those buyers were asked to sign!

-Wendy
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

1 members found this post helpful.

We can always tell when someone from the city moves out here. They install a ton of exterior lights around their farm, LOL!
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

6 members found this post helpful.

Okay so I think the thing to do is when these citifolk move the the country, the farms need to put up signs saying, "Welcome to the Country!"

And that should be repeated over and over when people complain.

The "country" is not as quiet as you think it is--there is farm machinery working all the time. This is where the food comes from that you buy at your grocery!!

Duuh!

Near where I grew up there is a dive of a farm in the middle of one of the very popular suburbs. The guy who runs the farm makes sure to spread his cow manure close to the fence line associated with the neighbor who complained most recently.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Not horses, but I live near a refinery. I'm not fond of it but it was built a few years before I was born (~1956-57). When I bought my house I knew it was close.

Now we have a bunch of McMansion dwellers up the road who want to shut the refinery down.

I just want to see the 5 square mile tarp they covered it with when the dwellers came to look at the houses because obviously someone must have hidden it from them.
    In my neighborhood, it's the concrete plant on the river. The water access lets the plant barge in materials. I think they make the huge preformed pieces. The ultimate county plan is to have it redeveloped into something pretty on the riverfront. In almost the same breath someone will say we need to bring manufacturing back to this country. Hello, this place is actually MAKING SOMETHING, not selling trinkets on some made up Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Farm where I used to ride sold off some property into big lots (most 7-11 acres) for fancy homes. The deeds included a riding easement so we could continue to hack across the very edges of the properties, over away from the houses, and access other trails and remaining non-contiguous portions of the farm property.

It was IN THE DEEDS. These people knew they were allowing occasional horse traffic across the edge of their property at the time when they purchased it.

Well, after being yelled at, honked at, and having dogs set loose on us by various new landowners, we pretty much had to stop going over there, even though it was specifically allowed. Not worth the danger.
    If memory serves...LOL...and Lord Helpus could likely weigh in on this...When So. Pines was "developed" back in the day, Pappy Moss was instrumental in making certain all the farms had easements, hunt access, something to that effect. I can't remember all the terms as they were explained to me but I many of the older farms have coops and post & rails built into the fence line. Can't count the times the hunt or carriages came past my little cottage...not to mention people just out for a hack. EVERYTHING down there seems to be connected by fire lanes, trails, paths...something. I loved living down there even though it was on a Ramen-noodles-every-night budget b/c I could ride without having to worry about ATVs, mountain bikers coming out of nowhere, etc. The only jackasses we had to worry about were the turnout buddies!

4 members found this post helpful.

If someone did something to spook a horse ridden by me or my theoretical children, I would hunt them down and kill them. Preferably by drawing and quartering. Seems like a fitting technique.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

7 members found this post helpful.

Yep. Deliberately and intentionally trying to get someone hurt crosses a line. And anyone that would do that to child, well there is a special place in hell for them.

I don't particularly care for my neighbor's five children flying up and down the sidewalk in front of my house on their bicycles all the time, scared to death I'm going to hit one backing out of the drive or one is going to crash into my new car in the drive (they've come close a couple times). Would I kick their bikes out from under them or aim at them with my car and possibly get them hurt? Absolutely not. I live near the city in a subdivision back on a residential street, kids on bikes come with the territory.

The yuppies around here are so busy trying to juggle their latte, their texting and their screaming kids in the back seat, that I can no longer expect their eyes on the road. It isn't worth it to risk my nice horses; I'm such a wuss I now load them up and trailer 2 miles to the trail-head.

Pathetic, but there it is.