The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Stupid people, not doing their research *Mini Rant*

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-parkl...,2209811.story

I mean, really, if you buy a property near horses, especially an active equestrian center, you should be expecting to see horses! The smells and activities that go with them should also be expected!

Causing reckless endangerment for riders because of a decision YOU made.....ugh, just sad

An old friend of mine (we lost touch years ago) rides there, so now I'm worrying.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

3 members found this post helpful.

If the barns were there first, then these people "moved to the nuisance." It's their problem.

And if someone deliberately spooked a horse i was riding on a legal right of way, and i were injured as a result, i would end up owning that person's house by the time i and my lawyers were through with them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

40 members found this post helpful.

Its happening everywhere. I live in a subdivision where horses are allowed on the 3 ac. properties. So far, I've gotten along well with all of my neighbors, but I'm super picky about fly control and manure management. I understand that I'm in a neighborhood and need to be as considerate as possible. There were 3 of us in the neighborhood with horses, and the other 2 horse owners had lots of problems with their neighbors, I'm now the only one left, and my biggest fear is that the HOA will re-write the rules to not allow more horses in once I'm gone, which will kill my resale value when Mr. Trev and I eventually retire and move out of the area.

There are 2 farms on the main road right outside my neighborhood who have been there for the last 50 years or so. They're great people, but since the little country neighborhoods have been popping up, they've been having lots of problems with the citiots on the road honking and spooking their horses when they're in the ring, yelling at them, etc., including one of my own neighbors. They used to bring their beginner kids to ride on the small trail in our neighborhood, until one of our neighbors decided to be an a$$ and start trouble with them because he wanted to run his ATV on the trail. Ticks me off no end - they were good people who helped keep the trail maintained and were good neighbors. Now they won't even come to visit me because of my jerkface neighbor.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

From the linked article
    One nearby resident, Laura Laramee, 47, was cited for screeching her white Mercedes to a halt next to four Pine Hollow riders on May 31, including two girls, ages 7 and 5. Police said she honked her horn and shouted, "Get off my street" and "Go back where you belong."
    Real class act, that one.

Of course we've all had similar things happen. It's one of the reasons I never applied for a permit to carry a weapon. I don't trust myself not to blast the back windshield out of a vehicle that did some of the things described in the article. My luck, the asshat would have a toddler strapped in the backseat.

Although if I rode in that neighborhood, I think I'd be teaching my horse to let me fire a paintball gun off his back.

10 members found this post helpful.

It happened where I board several years back. I could tell stories all day about those yuppie citidiot assholes and the headaches they have caused us, especially their adderall-fueled, spastic, rude trespassing yuppie crotch-spawn. I've never felt such a hatred in my soul for my fellow man until they built the McMansions by our barn.

Those people in the news article, I feel their pain. Acutely.

25 members found this post helpful.

Never changes, Many years ago I boarded at a barn that had been built a few years before a fancy subdivision went in across the street.. Mind you at one time the whole area was horsey. Lesson and boarding barns all up and down the road. Not a year after people started buying did the owner of this barn start getting complaints.. Flies, REally?? Stinky?? Kids are riding in the front field early in the morning.. Horse shows, yup they had schooling shows.
    The barn was big and as large as life when those people looked at houses.
    People want to say they live in the country but lord help us if their are really country farms and animals. Rrrrrr.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    It happened where I board several years back. I could tell stories all day about those yuppie citidiot assholes and the headaches they have caused us, especially their adderall-fueled, spastic, rude trespassing yuppie crotch-spawn. I've never felt such a hatred in my soul for my fellow man until they built the McMansions by our barn.

Typed mine before I saw this.. But you put it better than me!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

What an accurate description!

I think I would become VIOLENT if some yuppie was BANGING on their car door just to get me hurt, simply because they are too ignorant to buy a McMansion that isn't next to a farm.

Farms smell, get over it. Animals stink. This isn't just happening to horse farms. Do these type not realize that their food comes from FARMS??? I cringe when I see some jerk face in a small car swerve around a tractor going down the road and then have the audacity to flip the tractor driver off.

Is it widespread ignorance? Or widespread selfishness?

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

8 members found this post helpful.

Sort of like the nimrods who buy land at 80 cents an acre at the end of the airport runway and then complain that the aircraft noise is keeping their baby awake. Well duh.

11 members found this post helpful.

I think all their whining about smells and flies is in their head. Properly maintained manure piles do not stink, not to any extent that can be smelled from a distance. Properly maintained barns do not have fly problems, not to any extent that would affect nearby properties.

They just see a farm and big animals, and automatically it's "Ehrmagerd! There must be poop and flies and I just can't have that in MY back yard!!!"

Somewhere on the Inter-Webz is a photo of a sign erected by a farm owner stating the obvious to the citiots...I'm paraphrasing badly...

This is a working farm with livestock who make poop/smells. They also make animal noises and have animal sex. If you don't like those things, you shouldn't have moved out to the country next to a farm.

GaitedGloryRider - you are brilliant...yuppie crotch spawn...can't stop LMAO

Exactly right Mara. People will buy in a subdivision in farm country, or under the airport takeoff and landing areas, and then they want the 'nuisance' that existed when they bought the house to leave so they can have peace and quiet. Unfortunately, many times there are so many restrictions put on airports, horse farms, or other agricultural businesses that they do eventually leave.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

It happens here in NZ too. It's the main reason I choose to live in a small rural area where people still ride their horses through town I think we can also up our game on being better ambassadors too.

However, I do wonder if people who don't know about rural life literally don't see what we see. For us seeing horses and barns means flies and people riding at weird hours as well. We see the whole package.
    I've pondered this over the years. A couple of examples: my sister gave me long and involved directions to get to her new home. When I arrived I asked why she just didn't tell me she lived opposite the town stockyard? She didn't know what it was and was horrified to discover that weekly, stock trucks delivered animals (loudly) then the auctioneer started up (loudly) then the trucks took them off to their new home (loudly) and course the flies, animal noise and the increased traffic on what she had assumed was a quiet road. She'd seen the yards but never thought to inquire as to what they were. My other example was a cowshed my husband worked in. People bought property adjoining the dairy farm. They came and talked several times to people working in and around the cowshed but never when the cowshed was actually milking cows. You can imagine their horror after they moved in to discover the cowshed starting up at 5AM every morning. They didn't know...as in had no idea... that cows are milked twice daily, seven days a week. No one had thought to tell them either, it was assumed they had done their due diligence before they bought the property. They complained bitterly for many years to whomever they could get to listen. We were stunned, for us cowshed=cows getting milked, how could you not know that? But as people are becoming more urban basic information has just disappeared. Don't get me started on the girl who loftily informed me that she wasn't a murderer because she bought meat from the supermarket instead of eating dead animals

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    It's one of the reasons I never applied for a permit to carry a weapon.

good decision, that.

Stuff like this really chaps my butt. There are "right to farm" laws, but often real farmers get screwed, anyway
    http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/righttofarm/

Near me a 150 yr old farm got destroyed b/c they needed a new highway ramp, for all the sh*t mCmansions built nearby. It makes me want to become an ecoterrorist. Hand me a flame thrower & I can take care of that for you.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Sort of like the nimrods who buy land at 80 cents an acre at the end of the airport runway and then complain that the aircraft noise is keeping their baby awake. Well duh.
    This is literally my brother's job: dealing with people who complain about airport noise. The airport does take complaints seriously, they do monitor noise, but ultimately..the airport has been there since the 1940s. It wasn't exactly a secret.

Of course, then I saw the show "Chasing Tail" (about deer-removal), realized these "clients" were a lot of the same general type/area my brother was dealing with, and was like..."Your job sucks even more than I realized."

And some farms DO smell (we are not thrilled when across the road fertilizes with liquified manure--it stinks to high heaven. Pigs stink if you're downwind.) That's life in the country. Don't like it, move to the city and smell the garbage.

4 members found this post helpful.

Farm where I used to ride sold off some property into big lots (most 7-11 acres) for fancy homes. The deeds included a riding easement so we could continue to hack across the very edges of the properties, over away from the houses, and access other trails and remaining non-contiguous portions of the farm property.

It was IN THE DEEDS. These people knew they were allowing occasional horse traffic across the edge of their property at the time when they purchased it.

Well, after being yelled at, honked at, and having dogs set loose on us by various new landowners, we pretty much had to stop going over there, even though it was specifically allowed. Not worth the danger.

2 members found this post helpful.

What do these yuppies and their lawyers exactly hope to accomplish? The city officials even state that they can't do anything because of the Florida Farm Act. What are they going to do? Muscle the city into illegally shutting down the farm mafia style?

4 members found this post helpful.

These people are just ignorant asshats. Not understanding is one thing, but being rude and dangerous just because they don't get their way is ridiculous.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

7 members found this post helpful.

When we bought a house in a little neighborhood right next to a dressage facility in Arizona, we had to sign something saying that we understood there were horses next door and that there might be dust, smells, noise, etc.

Nothing could be worse than the apartment we rented next to the golf course! In the summer they started *backing* the golf carts out of the parking area before 5am. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

2 members found this post helpful.

They just see a farm and big animals, and automatically it's "Ehrmagerd! There must be poop and flies and I just can't have that in MY back yard!!!"
    This is exactly what happened in the CA community that sprawled up around the barn where I once had horses. The closest most of the people in the ticky tacky houses on the hillside had ever been to horses was on some nose-to-tail tourist trail ride in Cancun, and they thought of horses as smelly, poop-producing vehicles more than sentient creatures. The fact that we riders were middle-class urbanites who ran a tight ship was lost on them -- we may as well have had Pigpen-style halos of dust and flies once they had associated us with filthy livestock!

We never had any real noise, odor, or insect complaints, but we had quite a number of "stay off our roads" notes taped to our gate and calls asking us to turn our tractor off (not when we were using our little tractor but when neighbors' landscaping companies were running leaf blowers and mowers!).