The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My apologies, Fairfax. Lady Eboshi, the wild west is gone. The crazies are everywhere.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

7 members found this post helpful.

I wish I had been smart and moved out West!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry if that came off as a "dig" against the West; my point was you'd never get away with that in a more populated area, if only because the smell would be tremendous. Whatever.

In reference to the showjumper murders back in the 90's, what's the difference, FF, between killing them for a hundred thousand or killing them like you advocate, for a hundred bucks? It's cruelty to animals for profit either way.

But don't let's start THAT thread up again . . .

Is this area close to the Mexican border? I've heard of drug smugglers using horses to smuggle drugs across the border and then abandoning them. Maybe these horses were used in a drug deal and were shot when they were no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Sorry if that came off as a "dig" against the West; my point was you'd never get away with that in a more populated area, if only because the smell would be tremendous. Whatever.

In reference to the showjumper murders back in the 90's, what's the difference, FF, between killing them for a hundred thousand or killing them like you advocate, for a hundred bucks? It's cruelty to animals for profit either way.

But don't let's start THAT thread up again . . .
    method of disposal matters, not the motive.

And the jumper cases were probably so outrageous, because they were insurance fraud, more than the matter of electrocuting the animals.

And I dare say the fact that the animals were dropped in a riverbed weighs more than the fact that and how they were killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Hi!
    I am off today and haven't gotten an update. Here's a great contact: officer Wolf, County Animal Care (505) 314-0287.
    Let me know if I can help.
    Have a great day
    Regina Ruiz

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:08 PM, "ltm" <ltm@telus.net> wrote:

From your article on the dead horses it would appear they were shot in the head. Is this correct? Have you found out any additional information?

Thank you

Leo Maxwell

I phoned and left a message for Officer Wolf to give me a call

My request to the newseditor was referred back to the writer of the article, Regina and this is her answer

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    method of disposal matters, not the motive.

And the jumper cases were probably so outrageous, because they were insurance fraud, more than the matter of electrocuting the animals.
    Also, because the only thing "wrong" with the horses was apparently they weren't winning or something. Not the owners couldn't afford them and no one wanted to buy them and the owners couldn't afford to put them down. Plus, you know, insurance fraud is illegal.

And yes, the key here is, unless they're stolen, not that they were shot unless they were shot with deliberate cruelty (ie gutshot and left to bleed to death, not in a way which would put them down fast), but that they were dumped on public land. Even that's somewhat understandable given how absurdly expensive disposing of large dead animals can be.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Also, because the only thing "wrong" with the horses was apparently they weren't winning or something. Not the owners couldn't afford them and no one wanted to buy them and the owners couldn't afford to put them down. Plus, you know, insurance fraud is illegal.

And yes, the key here is, unless they're stolen, not that they were shot unless they were shot with deliberate cruelty (ie gutshot and left to bleed to death, not in a way which would put them down fast), but that they were dumped on public land. Even that's somewhat understandable given how absurdly expensive disposing of large dead animals can be.
    Here we go...Bled to Death? Are you kidding me...?

If they had, as was described..a shot to the head..THEY DIED and this is, by all those who are anti slaughter..THE VERY BEST WAY TO KILL A HORSE.

But then, don't let medical facts get in the way of a Terrible people poor horse story

Like, you can't even admit it was a crappy thing to do? As in, "Not Quite Nice?"

I do not know any circumstances regarding it...would rather wait until facts emerge. This is what all of you have been stating is the best thing to do. Shoot the horse in the head. Quick death..instant.... probably they broke a law regarding WHERE they did it as per disposal..but maybe they are in a county where it costs a fortune to get to rendering..maybe water table laws...etc

Maybe they read COTH and were afraid their horses would go to Mexico or worse..a horsey feedlot.

If the economy in the U.S. keeps on tanking (which every indicator says it will) this might become the norm...you wake up..with a dead horse on your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

If they had, as was described..a shot to the head..THEY DIED and this is, by all those who are anti slaughter..THE VERY BEST WAY TO KILL A HORSE.

But then, don't let medical facts get in the way of a Terrible people poor horse story
    I think danceronice would be one of the many here (right up at the front of the line) to agree that a gunshot to the head would be "the very best way to kill a horse". Very humane, in fact. I'm pretty sure that rather than trying to spin a "Terrible poor horse story", she is agreeing with the position that the "outrage" lies in the fact that the animals were disposed of on public land, not that they were shot; unless, that is, they were shot for the sole purpose of being cruel--in a place on the body that isn't immediately fatal and would cause them to die a slower, conscious death. You know, like someone with an extreme case of psychopathy would do.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    So again here is the problem we don't know ANYTHING about the circumstances.

Isn't the anti slaughter group always carrying on saying people should be responsible for their own horses and its ok if a person Euthanize or shot there own and its FAR better then slaughter?

Until we have more facts its just 4 dead horses ...not 4 dead horses / man is so evil / poor things suffered etc etc.

"If they didn't want them for whatever reason they should have just given them away or sold them or whatever, but not just come out here and shoot them,” Janowski said."
    Give them away to whom..sell them to whom. Perhaps there was no alternative ...and even if there was as long as it was their legal owner ?

Yes terrible if it was illegal or not by the animals owners.
    I'm guessing it's illegal to shoot horses and leave the bodies for someone else to dispose of.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You know, I am on central ground on this, but Fairfax's arguments are just tiring...

Maybe they read COTH and were afraid their horses would go to Mexico or worse..a horsey feedlot.
    REALLY? You think that COTHers think that the feed lot is worse than a one way trip to Mexico.

What do you think we think that feed lot is for? Here in CA, it is to fatten them up for that one way trip to a loosely controlled slaughter plant.

Its not worse, its just one more step on a one way trip that I do not think horses deserve (under the current often inhumane conditions which they are transported and slaughtered).

I would rather the horses be shot in the head.

6 members found this post helpful.

Fairfax is just looking for an argument. It's his idea of fun...it's really best to just ignore.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I think that was her point, might have missed the part, it was a bit obscured.
    (I am thinking that it would be rather unpleasant being shot in the head with a shotgun, and not necessarily instantly lethal, Re: Cheney's hunting party)
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

By all means, don't let reading comprehension get in the way of your faux-outrage.

5 members found this post helpful.

I think that was her point, might have missed the part, it was a bit obscured.
    (I am thinking that it would be rather unpleasant being shot in the head with a shotgun, and not necessarily instantly lethal, Re: Cheney's hunting party)
    ^^
    Right. What duck butt said.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    ^^
    Right. What duck butt said.

watch it, Sista, or you will meet a fowl end!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm guessing it's illegal to shoot horses and leave the bodies for someone else to dispose of.
    Pick your battles IMHO , if you want people to NOT send their animals off to other ends then perhaps other less heinous things like dealing with alternatives to help find solutions for carcass disposition are in order.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

watch it, Sista, or you will meet a fowl end!
    What are you gonna do? Waddle over me?