The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    What are you gonna do? Waddle over me?
    Sit on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Pick your battles IMHO , if you want people to NOT send their animals off to other ends then perhaps other less heinous things like dealing with alternatives to help find solutions for carcass disposition are in order.
    I'm betting in this case the buzzards will take care of it, actually . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, but as long as they patted them on the head before blowing the horses brains out, all's good ....

I would feel just as sad over dogs or cats...

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Is this area close to the Mexican border? I've heard of drug smugglers using horses to smuggle drugs across the border and then abandoning them. Maybe these horses were used in a drug deal and were shot when they were no longer needed.
    This is pretty far from the Mexican border. About a 5 hour drive w/very rough country between. Very unlikely the horses were used to transport drugs across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Oh, but as long as they patted them on the head before blowing the horses brains out, all's good ....

SV..sorry to burst your bubble...but euthanization has been your mantra....don't send to slaughter ... kill them...don't use chemicals...bullets are better. Well..that was what appears to have happened.

Or was that NOT what you truly ment.......????

Maybe you still just want forever homes...which will clearly demonstrate to new possible horse owners that they do not want to become involved...Best way for the radical groups to win...stop one owner or new owner at a time

The truth will always out...glad to help others see what you are all about

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Here we go...Bled to Death? Are you kidding me...?

If they had, as was described..a shot to the head..THEY DIED and this is, by all those who are anti slaughter..THE VERY BEST WAY TO KILL A HORSE.

But then, don't let medical facts get in the way of a Terrible people poor horse story
    LEARN TO READ, Fairfax. I said that the only reason it would be a cruelty case would be if they'd been gutshot, not head shot. I didn't say they WERE. (I do not bother opening news-site links as they take forever on dial-up because of all the extraneous crap on their sites, so I don't know exactly how they died.) Otherwise the only reason law enforcement is involved is they were on public land. I was AGREEING WITH ALAGIRL. READ FOR CONTEXT.

And no, Lady Eboshi, it wasn't necessarily a 'crappy thing to do.' Honestly, horse owners can't win--shoot them and you're horrible, sell them at auction and you're Satan...not everyone has the money to waste on chemical euthing and absurdly overpriced disposal. Personally I'd ban disposing of animals with barbituates unless they're small enough or in a situation where they can be incinerated as it's unsafe for disposal, but that's me.

3 members found this post helpful.

"Blowing their brains out" is a lot faster and less cruel than shooting them full of drugs (I can't wait to see what happens when the anti-death-penalty lawsuits get use of the same drugs banned for human execution as painful, cruel and unusual, as the states that use lethal injection are having to switch to them--if it's cruel to humans, what does that mean with animals?) Heck, a GOOD shot could put them down behind the shoulder (but that's not as easy and more for trying to drop a moving animal quickly.) And a lot less ecologically dangerous. If the carcasses are in water, yes, that's a problem, but otherwise a mechanically-killed carcass is just going to get eaten by scavengers. Better than being stuck with 1200lbs of toxic waste and spending hundreds of dollars to have it removed, if you're lucky enough someone will come and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Pick your battles IMHO , if you want people to NOT send their animals off to other ends then perhaps other less heinous things like dealing with alternatives to help find solutions for carcass disposition are in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    . Better than being stuck with 1200lbs of toxic waste and spending hundreds of dollars to have it removed, if you're lucky enough someone will come and get it.
    There is a program available in NM to help owners with disposal of their horses, as well as provide assistance with feed for people who have fallen on hard times.

http://equineprotectionfund.org/programs.php

Trail's End

The Trail's End program covers some veterinary fees and disposal costs for humanely euthanizing suffering horses and other equines. To qualify, low-income horse owners must have verification from a licensed veterinarian. Law enforcement and horse shelters licensed by the New Mexico Livestock Board are also eligible for this assistance.

http://equineprotectionfund.org/programs.php
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Was there not a thread not that long ago from sick animals due to eating a euth'd horse? Maybe a gun shot is better.

It is still sad

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Was there not a thread not that long ago from sick animals due to eating a euth'd horse? Maybe a gun shot is better.

It is still sad
    Actually the lead in the bullets pose a potential for poisoning other animals as well. I doubt that the shooters are concerned about the wildlife in the area.....

Actually the lead in the bullets pose a potential for poisoning other animals as well. I doubt that the shooters are concerned about the wildlife in the area.....
    Yes, it would have been safer for wildlife if they had removed the heads and buried them.

Or they could have used wildlife-safe copper bullets which are readily available.

No comparison with a half ton of chemically toxic flesh resulting from a chemical euth.

3 members found this post helpful.

Conversely, isn't it a horrible waste of 2 tons of perfectly good meat that could have been used one more time?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Conversely, isn't it a horrible waste of 2 tons of perfectly good meat that could have been used one more time?
    Yes, but buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

What if someone shot 4 animals of another species and left the for dead in the river bed? Would everyone have the same reaction?

What if it had been 4 cows, dogs, deer....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant