The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Four horses found shot to death in New Mexico riverbed

It’s hard to know exactly what happened to the horses. Beer bottles and several gunshot shells were found in the same area.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/...#ixzz2WUvTJ9FZ

WTF is wrong with people?! The horses all look to be in healthy weight and as far as I can tell, their hooves were in good shape, so these weren't neglected horses...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Man...the superior species.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Man...the superior species.

So again here is the problem we don't know ANYTHING about the circumstances.

Isn't the anti slaughter group always carrying on saying people should be responsible for their own horses and its ok if a person Euthanize or shot there own and its FAR better then slaughter?

Until we have more facts its just 4 dead horses ...not 4 dead horses / man is so evil / poor things suffered etc etc.

"If they didn't want them for whatever reason they should have just given them away or sold them or whatever, but not just come out here and shoot them,” Janowski said."
    Give them away to whom..sell them to whom. Perhaps there was no alternative ...and even if there was as long as it was their legal owner ?

Yes terrible if it was illegal or not by the animals owners.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

10 members found this post helpful.

The hooves look rounded nicely. I don't think they were wild.
    “Human dignity is the same for all human beings: when I trample on the dignity of another, I am trampling on my own".

-Pope Francis

Until we have more facts its just 4 dead horses
    It's "just" four dead horses.....

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Isn't the anti slaughter group always carrying on saying people should be responsible for their own horses and its ok if a person Euthanize or shot there own and its FAR better then slaughter?

Perhaps there was no alternative ...and even if there was as long as it was their legal owner ?
    Why are you so quick to get caught up about the "anti slaughter group always carrying on..."

I'm pretty sure pretty much everyone is okay with people choosing to shoot their own horses on their own property. However, to shoot the horses on public or someone else's property and not dispose of the bodies properly is irresponsible.
    Last edited by jenm; Jun. 17, 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo

7 members found this post helpful.

Maybe because the anti slaughter group demanded the employee be fired for shooting his own horse..doing it humanely and yet..that was not good enough..I think your comment was it looked cute (alive) as if that should make any difference.

Another from your group demanded he be charged...and so on.

That is why it is all connected

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    [I]
    WTF is wrong with people?! The horses all look to be in healthy weight and as far as I can tell, their hooves were in good shape, so these weren't neglected horses...

Were the horses stolen?
    I ain't voting for Monica Lewinski's ex-boyfriend's wife!

Most likely some lickered-up jackwagons with guns who were going to shoot the first thing they saw to prove to each other they really have balls.

Y'all can have the Wild West . . .

5 members found this post helpful.

Out west they might lack sophistication so they would not know they should insure the horse and then analy electrocute it so they can collect on the policy.
    Last edited by Fairfax; Jun. 17, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

I am in the wait and see and need details boat -

Let say it was an owner who could no longer care for the horses, or find them suitable homes - then I would not be opposed to shooting them (but I am opposed to dumping them on public property).

If they were wild horses (in my experience, wild horses in desert environments DO have well rounded hooves) - Then, while I do support feral horse population control, I do not support people just shooting horses.

And if they were stolen, belonged to someone else, or otherwise shot without the owner's permission - then this is a crime.

To me, it doesn't look like the horses suffered at all and I TOTALLY disagree with this quote from the article:

“If they didn't want them for whatever reason they should have just given them away or sold them or whatever, but not just come out here and shoot them,
    A quick death is more humane that neglect that may result from dumping a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Out west they might lack sophistication so they would not know they should insure the horse and then anally electrocute it so they can collect on the policy.
    Electronically anal, in your case . . .

Beer bottles and several gunshot shells were found in the same area
    This part bothers me, makes me think someone was trying to prove themselves, so they killed something just to kill it. It may be unrelated, but if they match the shells to the wounds...

I'm assuming there's going to be an investigation?
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
    This part bothers me, makes me think someone was trying to prove themselves, so they killed something just to kill it. It may be unrelated, but if they match the shells to the wounds...

I'm assuming there's going to be an investigation?
    There are lots of beer bottles in the desert. People go out and target shoot. I kind of doubt they are related. Most likely they shot and killed the horses there, rather than bury or have them removed. Drunks would have not shot them once thru the head cleanly. There would have been a blood trail and eveidence of struggling if it were a bunch of drunks..
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Out west they might lack sophistication so they would not know they should insure the horse and then anally electrocute it so they can collect on the policy.
    That was rude. I'm from out west.
    “Human dignity is the same for all human beings: when I trample on the dignity of another, I am trampling on my own".

-Pope Francis

Rude????? Rude????? I AM out west...so what if you are from there and live back east. Ever hear of Calumet Farms...After they broke the leg on Alydar there were a couple of other stallions that hit the switch.

Anyway...just enjoy the ride these ladies provide...

5 members found this post helpful.

Then Fairfax you may have want to re-write your statement:
    Originally Posted by Fairfax:
    Out west we might lack sophistication so they would not know they should insure the horse and then anally electrocute it so they can collect on the policy.

it is unclear to the rest of us that you are out west as you don't post your location. As someone who lives out west - your statement was rude. I live out west and know quite a bit about insurance and the ways people have tried to cheat.

As to the beer bottles and shot gun shells, they are every where. There is a geochache not far from us called "shells in the desert". The hint isn't referring to sea shells but shot gun shells. It gets old to see it and I hate it but at least glass does turn back to sand.

I think it is terrible that the horses were shot. However, there may be no abuse - except the abuse of leaving the bodies on public lands. I'm of the wait and see what the investigation reveals type. Nothing says that the horses were shot multiple times and left to die in agony.

The "unsophisticated" are everywhere.

-Pope Francis

Uh, I think y'all are confused and are unfairly attacking Fairfax. I know reading for comprehension is hard, but come on...

Lady Eboshi posted:
    Y'all can have the wild west...
    Which, to me, is a pretty clear attack on those that live in the west.

Fairfax replied to Lady Eboshi with:
    Out west they might lack sophistication so they would not know they should insure the horse and then analy electrocute it so they can collect on the policy.
    As in, y'all back east have your own demons and aren't exactly innocent of killing horses. Excuse us out west for not also committing insurance fraud, which would have been the "sophisticated" and "non-wild-west-esque" solution.

It wasn't a dig at people who live in the west, or an implication that those that live in the west don't know about insurance (weirdest interpretation ever...), it was a response to Lady Eboshi's dig at those who live in the west. She was the one who implied that those who live in the "Wild West" are unsophisticated, gun toting heathens. Fairfax was just responding.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

8 members found this post helpful.