The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have a few more Sailor Jerry's & Coke and you'll think you need a whole fleet!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I had such a blast driving that mini and it would be so cool to have a driving pony...
    She is sound, fast and broke to drive.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

I grew up watching them at a local fair! (North Haven). They had races at least annually and I loved going into the stables and seeing all the cute little horses. There were various races and conditions. Outfits ranged from really homespun to quite professional, but it seemed like everyone knew everyone else and they all had a good time. Lots of different colors and types. And some grew the tails really long and had different strategies for getting it out from the wheels and flowing past the driver and out behind

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    My first pony was a registered Welsh foaled in 1968 whose first owners had raced him in a local circuit in Delaware and New Jersey. Ponies raced a quarter mile (QMT) and his racing papers show that they had to qualify with certain times. At the time the racing ponies had to be under 12.2 hands, and he raced for three seasons before growing too tall. Wish I had a photo of him from that time in his life. It certainly laid a wonderful foundation for fitness. He taught kids to ride until he was 39.
    OH yeah, He even had a few pacers, it was a big deal, and yup they were under !2.2
    Ask me sometime about my bad streak trying to ride them in the back field where the old man could not see, 8 yr olds will do anything to show off.. I must have been bucked off 10 times. LOL Thank goodness he never caught me. I figured they should be easy to ride. They were sure smaller than the horses I rode.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

We had one when I was a teenager. She was bright bay and about 13 hands. She had been a driving pony, can't remember if we broke her to ride or if she was broke to ride before she showed up. She gave lessons and went to some local shows.

We had two ~20 years ago that had been raced. They were supposed to be a pair, but didn't get along when hooked together. We broke both to ride and soon resold one as a riding pony. That one looked like a 13H TB and was a natural jumper. The second, that looked like a 13H STB, we showed pleasure driving very successfully for a few years before reselling her as a event pony.

Funny story with the second pony. I was showing her in pleasure classes at the local fair where there were also some STBs and I was giving her a bath in one of the washracks. She looked enough like a small STB that one of the trainers asked if I was planning on racing her. I told him I thought she was little small .

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I had such a blast driving that mini and it would be so cool to have a driving pony...
    I started driving a couple of years ago. I still event big horses, but had a full season of combined drives with my little (10:2 hh) guy this year. Driving is AWESOME fun!!!! Lots of thinking to do, control and precision in dressage and cones, speed in marathon. This looks like a great pony for driving. Go on, what have you got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    I started driving a couple of years ago. I still event big horses, but had a full season of combined drives with my little (10:2 hh) guy this year. Driving is AWESOME fun!!!! Lots of thinking to do, control and precision in dressage and cones, speed in marathon. This looks like a great pony for driving. Go on, what have you got to lose?
    Lol, I'm seriously giving it some thought. Getting ready to put the house on the market this year so I can get some land and a barn...I doubt that particular pony will still be available when I'm ready but the more I think about it, the more I see a pony and a cart in my future. Luckily I've got a pretty good friend who has been driving for years that can show me the ropes. I was surprised at how quick I caught on to harnessing, got it done by myself and got everything right on the second try. I think if I take some lessons, keep it simple and get myself a well trained pony it is something I could catch onto fairly quickly.

I can't justify paying board on a pony where there is no place to really drive...but once I've got a barn I could definitely swing it.

Hi Everybody...Just wanted to come on board to say that I maintained the AHDC Trottingbred site that you were referred to on an earlier post. I'm am still in contact with many folks that still race Trottingbreds in Central Pennsylvania and in Florida during the winter months. If you have any other Trottingbred related questions, I'd love to hear from you....it is really so sad that such a thriving, "do-it-yourself" form of Harness Racing has all but disappeared...I tried my best to revive it in NJ about 12 years ago, but it just didn't work out as some of the key players had other motives and loftier goals...

Welcome to the funny farm!

I am looking forward to hearing stories about these little guys.
    growing up we were 'hands on' racing people, but not harness racers. I know of people who took pony racing extremely serious, but again, not in harness.
    The trotter circuit was very much a family affair at that level though.
    But gosh, so much has changed in the last 20-30 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Like Sannois, I drove them a little bit in the 1960s, up in Mass. My neighbor had three.

One thing I'd be curious to know from dekhands and Sannois - the ones I drove were trained such that an increase in rein pressure made them go FASTER: the harder you pulled the faster they went. Are they still trained like that? I could definitely see that being a complete deterrent for someone who wanted to do carriage driving with them.

Cute pony though!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Like Sannois, I drove them a little bit in the 1960s, up in Mass. My neighbor had three.

One thing I'd be curious to know from dekhands and Sannois - the ones I drove were trained such that an increase in rein pressure made them go FASTER: the harder you pulled the faster they went. Are they still trained like that? I could definitely see that being a complete deterrent for someone who wanted to do carriage driving with them.

Cute pony though!
    YES! That was true WA, I remember I was only allowed to go out on the track when they were just Breezing.. Or whatever they called it. I stayed to the outside, out of the mens way, I am pretty sure He warned the other drivers who were ALL men, to leave the kid alone. I also remember him telling me do not take a strong hold on him. Just a light line. The pony I drove.. ACK If I thought about it I could remember his name, OH wait.. Hi Bid. Was a little Liver chestnut stud pony, but very sweet. My word that brings back memories!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'm sorry to say I can't remember the names of any of my neighbor's three. But I did have the impression all 3 were pure Hackney. I never went to the track, but when I started my farm-sitting business the neighbor became a good client. I would take care of the pony or ponies left at home when he did go to the track. He had a home-made track at home as well, which went through the woods, and generously allowed us to ride our horses on it too.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'm sorry to say I can't remember the names of any of my neighbor's three. But I did have the impression all 3 were pure Hackney. I never went to the track, but when I started my farm-sitting business the neighbor became a good client. I would take care of the pony or ponies left at home when he did go to the track. He had a home-made track at home as well, which went through the woods, and generously allowed us to ride our horses on it too.
    Boy Talk about memory lane. I adored going with my neighbor. I rode And took lessons At the long Gone Cherry Meadow Farm, But having the ponies down the road and being able to go and Help with them was truly Great. It was the closest thing to having my own horse, and when your a horse crazy girl any thing with 4 hooves and a tail is good.
    The neighbor had a full sized track and he had Meets there. That was REALLY fun. I> never got to race but just getting to drive now and then, heck even cool them off was a treat. My mom trusted the men as she was friends with the owner, and my lord he was probably 60 when I was 12. I was semi afraid of him, and had the utmost respect for him. There was also a young teenage boy who lived on the same street who had three pacers, He was a snot to me, I am sure I was just an obnoxious little girl to him, but once the old man started letting me help at the races he got nicer to me, and let me harness ones for him. That I learned how to do. He has 3 pacers, with hobbles and the whole bit. Boy that was so long ago. But a very fun time in my child hood. I Think it was very big on the east coast back then. Or so it seems.
    That is something I would think would be a blast to do in my old age. Drive!

The showed off a bunch of Trottingbred ponies at the 2010 WEG here in Lexington, they were really cool!

Talking

Cute pony though!
    Hi There,

I would offer that its all in the way those horses(and by the way, Trottingbred folks tend to refer to them as Horses, rather than ponies...) were trained...I've driven a bunch of them in races and each one was different...some, you needed to take a good tight hold of going around the turns or they'd pace or trot right off the track...or break stride...some don't like being touched with the whip...but, mostly, a loose line would relax them...and off they'd go...

Here is something fun....Trottingbred Racing...Cajun Style

http://www.fox8live.com/story/223798...NtZzI.facebook

Scroll back to older entries on my blog (in sig file) and you'll see a palomino pony Lucky boarded with. Dom was a trotting pony who used to race. IIRC, he was part Welsh and part Standardbred (no idea how the color thing works there.) He was rather chubby in his retirement, but he apparently was very fast when he was racing. His trot's actually pretty smooth to sit, you just have to get used to it being really really fast....

I had one about 10 years ago. I had never heard about the breed until I got his papers. He was stunning! Jet black, looked like a litte 12 hand Arab.
    DAILY THOUGHT:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.