The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Trottingbred Pony??? Anyone heard of them?

I was window-shopping on craigslist tonight and came across something listed as a "registered Trottingbred". At first I thought she looked like a chubby Hackney but after doing some googling it looks like they are a crossbreed pony with Standardbred? Is anyone familiar with them...is it a "legit" breed?

Asking purely out of curiosity as I surely don't need a pony. I did drive a lovely little mini this week at a friend's farm (my first time ever driving) and will admit I'm a little smitten hence the reason I'm perusing CL with a Sailor Jerry's and Coke for driving ponies...but I really don't need a pony. Would be totally cool to have a pony and cart to tool around with the nieces and nephews when they visit but I certainly don't need one.

Here's the pony if anyone is curious...isn't she flipping cute as a button? Please somebody stop me before I call the guy
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/3860421178.html

So does anyone know anything about these Trottingbred ponies?

I did a story about Trottingbreds several years ago for Horse News.
    http://www.ahdcracing.com/horsenews.htm

Just wanted to add: Harry Landy, profiled in that story, is now pursuing a career as a harness driver 11 years later.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know much about them other than they are usually a combination of Shetland, Hackney, Welsh, and STB. And I think the racers are small ponies. There was very little information out there about them back when I was attempting to do some research 15 or so years ago when I got curious..I had a pony who is 1/2 Trottingbred. Cutest darned thing you've ever seen. The other half was Welsh. The trotter came out when he was worried or excited. He would rather do the mega hackney/STB pony knee action trot than slip into a canter when he gets excited. Otherwise, if you kept his head low and trot regular he could fake it as a hunter and had a super cute jump. Oh and he showed successfully through 2nd level dressage

She's a cute little mare!

Was drooling over them some years ago, although in my family, anything below 15h and not TB is a critter of lesser means...

There seem to be few up for sale, and as I recall (I might have read the above lined story) they were meant to introduce harness racing to the younger set.

Alas, racing in general, harness racing in particular are not popular sports in the South where I am (eek, gambling! )

stinking cute...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post

Asking purely out of curiosity as I surely don't need a pony. ...but I really don't need a pony.
    Hmmm...you sure about that?!

That pony is really cute!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

The Harness Horse Youth Foundation holds annual summer camps featuring trottingbreds. http://www.hhyf.org/

If you've got middle-school aged horse-crazy kids, this is a great one-week program held at various venues around the country.

I hadn't either, until I moved to my current barn. The barn's neighbor breeds them, has a mini racetrack in his back pasture, and every once in a while I see them flying around the track in harness. They are really solid, super moving ponies. He's got a yearling that I have often thought would make a good dressage pony.

When I first moved to the barn, I could not figure out what breed of equid they were!

Sadlly, they are moving, so I won't get to see them any more - but I have enjoyed watching them and learning about the breed.

You guys are killing me. I really DO NOT need a pony. But OMG that face, and they sound so cool, and I had such a blast driving that mini and it would be so cool to have a driving pony...

2 members found this post helpful.

I was window-shopping on craigslist tonight and came across something listed as a "registered Trottingbred". At first I thought she looked like a chubby Hackney but after doing some googling it looks like they are a crossbreed pony with Standardbred? Is anyone familiar with them...is it a "legit" breed?

Asking purely out of curiosity as I surely don't need a pony. I did drive a lovely little mini this week at a friend's farm (my first time ever driving) and will admit I'm a little smitten hence the reason I'm perusing CL with a Sailor Jerry's and Coke for driving ponies...but I really don't need a pony. Would be totally cool to have a pony and cart to tool around with the nieces and nephews when they visit but I certainly don't need one.

Here's the pony if anyone is curious...isn't she flipping cute as a button? Please somebody stop me before I call the guy
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/3860421178.html

So does anyone know anything about these Trottingbred ponies?
    Actually Yes, Growing up on Long Island as a Child I had a neighbor down the road who had them, He did a local circuit of harness racing .
    I used to go with him on the weekends and groom for him. I was 12 , I had so much fun, even learned how to drive them. They were fast little devils.
    This was years ago, I mean YEARS, back in the 60s, I have not ever seen or heard of them again till you posted this.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Hmmmm. My daughter has a pony that she uses for mounted games. Pony was pulled off a slaughter truck (possibly in New Holland) probably a year and a half to maybe two years ago. Folks that bought her tried to use her for little kids, pony is *not* a kids' pony. She has a trot you would not believe. She also has a gallop, but those are her two only gaits. She is an incredible games pony. I wish I could post a picture. We thought she was a Hackney, but I wonder if she might be a Trottingbred. She has had at least one foal, she has a big udder and scars from a caslick. Never thought about her being anything other than Hackney. She is about 13.1, big boned but not drafty, with feathers and lovely curved ears. We loff her.

You guys are killing me. I really DO NOT need a pony. But OMG that face, and they sound so cool, and I had such a blast driving that mini and it would be so cool to have a driving pony...
    Oh, Dear!
    Every girl needs a pony!

So you are a little more mature than your average pony girl....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

That pony isn't too far from me... If you don't go get her fast...

One thing that does concern me just a little is that her handler is wearing gloves. Which I know is sensible and safe - it's the right thing to do. ...it just makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Actually Yes, Growing up on Long Island as a Child I had a neighbor down the road who had them, He did a local circuit of harness racing .
    I used to go with him on the weekends and groom for him. I was 12 , I had so much fun, even learned how to drive them. They were fast little devils.
    This was years ago, I mean YEARS, back in the 60s, I have not ever seen or heard of them again till you posted this.
    My first pony was a registered Welsh foaled in 1968 whose first owners had raced him in a local circuit in Delaware and New Jersey. Ponies raced a quarter mile (QMT) and his racing papers show that they had to qualify with certain times. At the time the racing ponies had to be under 12.2 hands, and he raced for three seasons before growing too tall. Wish I had a photo of him from that time in his life. It certainly laid a wonderful foundation for fitness. He taught kids to ride until he was 39.

http://www.trottingbredhorse.com/ This a website for racing in Indiana and Ohio, maybe other states as well.
    When I was working at Vernon, they had a day or two of exhibition races with the Trottingbreds. Cute as heck, and a lot more color variation than the Standardbreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    That pony isn't too far from me... If you don't go get her fast...

One thing that does concern me just a little is that her handler is wearing gloves. Which I know is sensible and safe - it's the right thing to do. ...it just makes me wonder.
    The guy has a bunch of ponies listed, mostly Section A Welsh mares if I remember correctly. Same outfit, same pose, same background for all the ponies (and same gloves). I'm guessing they took the pictures for all of them at the same time and he happened to be wearing gloves?

All the ponies the guy had listed are stinking cute. That little bay really caught my eye though.

Cute pony!! But equally interesting... what is a Sailor Jerry's & Coke???

Uh huh very cute...So when are you getting her?
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    Cute pony!! But equally interesting... what is a Sailor Jerry's & Coke???
    Sailor Jerry's is delicious, delicious spiced rum. Really livens up Sunday night pony shopping on craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    Uh huh very cute...So when are you getting her?
    Dammit stop I don't need a pony!!! ENABLERS!