The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Well Can I Just Complain Some?

My sister has three kids, an 8 year old girl and two 6 year old twin boys. They get to pick one activity a season/year (summer/school). My niece chose gymnastics, one boy chose basketball and one chose horseback riding! HURRAYY!!! I immediately did what any good horse loving long distance aunt should do and sent him some super cute boots (and cute shoes for the others to be fair). He loves western. The only thing I know about western is I really, really adore those hopped up blinged out bright shirts the ladies wear. I doubt a 6 year old boy would dig that?

They are in the Phoenix, AZ area and I am in the Tacoma, WA area. Anyhoo, I was thinking of fun things for him to do that he would enjoy, stuff I could tell his mom about and she could suggest it or not. So, I go on Facebook to a group that clinics with a certain trainer/clinician who is known for his outstanding horsemanship, roping, and western riding. I have been to his clinics and learned oodles, it really transcends riding discipline.

So, I post about what clinicians, trainers, and events might be in the area down there that a 6 year old boy might enjoy watching/hanging out at. Well dang almighty! I guess I am just the next horrifying stage mom?! Comments like "you need to keep it light and fun" and my personal favorite "Just let him be a little kid with a horse. Don't ruin it."

People were messaging me good info on fun events like roping, etc., but sheesh! Are people just asshats? Lord forbid anyone try to get info for a little kid to go have fun watching some cowboys!

Okay, rant over.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't !!!!!!!!!
    I've suffered this syndrome often in dealing with the grandchildren.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Syndrome? It's a syndrome? Mercy!
    The Knotted Pony

Yeah, it is a syndrome. Mostly because anyone putting structure on children's activities, can EASILY turn into a "show mom" like the baseball, tennis, dancing moms found managing their children's careers.

I do think kids going into horse things at his age, should be directed a bit, kept SAFE, not over-faced with "better" horses so they can win. But what you suggested in spectator sports, watching older MALES doing fun-looking horse things would be quite beneficial. Lots of excitement, which boys LOVE.

Main thing with the young kids, is to allow fun time, not setting expectations of skill to ride very high yet so kid CAN achieve the goals. Good pony grooming, safe catching it in the paddock, some easy parts of the horse and saddle. Be sure to mention Cowboys who win, have been doing this for a long time, may have started learning as nephew's young age, but had to keep learning to improve.

Boots sound like a wonderful gift, can be worn anyplace, cool with shorts or jeans, makes him recognizable as a young Cowboy to EVERYONE! He will probably enjoy the attention when someone notices his boots and comments.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh I hope everyone does notice his boots! So cool

The things you said, the learning good horsemanship, grooming, the hard work to win and be good, I thought I was going to the right place to get info. I did get a lot of messages from folks who did not want any part of the rudeness ( it got bad, one guy, the main jerk, called all english or show people "snarky b!tches" and told me to shut up until I stopped cleaning other peoples horses and actually won something. I offered him a tri-color I won when I was a child LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Honestly, I think they probably want the same thing you do -- kids just out having fun -- and read your question differently than you intended it. I don't know that I would assume someone asking about clinics and trainers for a six year old was looking for "go out and have fun" events, for example. I'd have the same concerns they apparently did.

The whole thing just sounds like massive miscommunication to me.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was specific that I was looking for those folks in the Phoenix area so he could go watch the roping, cattle work, etc., and participate if appropriate. I know plenty of H/J and Arab folks down in Phoenix but no western sorts. I am not looking to toss him into a full service Arabian Western Pleasure Show Barn I had hoped to get connections to be able to introduce his mother to the people who would not only be good horsemen and women but also know where fun events took place.
    The Knotted Pony

I will check with some friends in Arizona, not sure how close they are to Phoenix, but all great people.

Have you sent him the "In the Stable" video series? They've expanded it and put it on DVD. It is definitely worth his owning, so it can be rewatched. The first couple videos are basic behavior around horses, which the whole family will inevitably need to know. That would be a good start, and my 13 yo DD has already flat out told her friends they have to watch the videos before they can come out and meet our horse, even though all of them SWEAR they know all about horses

ETA: www.inthestable.com
    (want to avoid brokeback moments if at all possible )
    Last edited by 2horseygirls; Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: to add link!

2horsey, you are awesome! Thank you for the idea
    The Knotted Pony

UH! Don't Google "in the stable". It went all Brokeback Mountain on me.
    The Knotted Pony

4 members found this post helpful.

Good luck! I have tried three times with kids and horses after having been begged by their parents ad nauseum. Three strikes and I'm out now. I have some good friends, a mother with her teenage daughter, that I connected with in another interest and we just don't even "go there" per my wishes.

IMO if you're using the word transcends to describe an experience it's probably beyond a 6 year olds comprehension or enjoyment. One of my grandsons took riding lessons at 6. What I think they need at that age are age appropriate lessons, a day camp experience and fun, fun, fun. I agree that showing them men who ride is a good idea because the lesson programs are mostly girls and women. I think that's where my grandson lost interest. He's all into baseball and group (boy) sports.

Transcends? What are you talking about?
    The Knotted Pony

I have a 7 year old boy... he has been helping me lead one (of two) ponies in and out when we do turnouts. He learned how to safely hold the slack leadrope and is very focused and careful about getting it right before we walk. I also had to lecture him about not saying "whoa" when he wanted to pony to just slow down- that whoa needs to mean stop, and to not use the word if you don't really mean it. Now he tries really hard to say "easy" instead. This week he learned how to put the halter on himself and is delighted when the pony actually helps by lowering his head.

I think that you may be a little out of touch with what 6 year old boys are all about and I totally understand what his mom was trying to tell you by saying, "Let's keep it light."

I do think it's great that he has an Auntie who will be encouraging and informative. But really- trust his mom to know just how into it he, where he is developmentally and emotionally and just how involved *SHE* can be as well. (what's her budget and what's her time... three kids in three different activities is A LOT) If the kid likes dinosaurs- it might be a good time to get a plastic set for the sandbox... not to arrange a dinner with the director of palentology at the university. ... or maybe the middle ground is a plaster casting set to make your own "fossils"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Transcends? What are you talking about?
    In your OP, you said:

They are in the Phoenix, AZ area and I am in the Tacoma, WA area. Anyhoo, I was thinking of fun things for him to do that he would enjoy, stuff I could tell his mom about and she could suggest it or not. So, I go on Facebook to a group that clinics with a certain trainer/clinician who is known for his outstanding horsemanship, roping, and western riding. I have been to his clinics and learned oodles, it really transcends riding discipline.
    Good luck with it, though. My two uncles were instrumental in my life with horses.

My sister has three kids, an 8 year old girl and two 6 year old twin boys. They get to pick one activity a season/year (summer/school). My niece chose gymnastics, one boy chose basketball and one chose horseback riding! HURRAYY!!! I immediately did what any good horse loving long distance aunt should do and sent him some super cute boots (and cute shoes for the others to be fair). He loves western. The only thing I know about western is I really, really adore those hopped up blinged out bright shirts the ladies wear. I doubt a 6 year old boy would dig that?

So, I post about what clinicians, trainers, and events might be in the area down there that a 6 year old boy might enjoy watching/hanging out at. Well dang almighty! I guess I am just the next horrifying stage mom?! Comments like "you need to keep it light and fun" and my personal favorite "Just let him be a little kid with a horse. Don't ruin it."

People were messaging me good info on fun events like roping, etc., but sheesh! Are people just asshats? Lord forbid anyone try to get info for a little kid to go have fun watching some cowboys!

Okay, rant over.
    That's facebook for you, PEople are not to be believed anymore!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Um Yeahhhh. .. mom never said to keep it light. Someone on Facebook did. Mom is not that into horses besides knowing which end the halter goes on I will have to disagree that watching roping and cattle work is "out of touch with 6 year old boys". He wants to see and learn, how else would I know 1000 miles away? I never suggested he ride with Buck Brannaman. I reached out to folks who clinic with him to see what activities are available in the area involving western riding.

The word transcends was MY description of MY experience as an English rider clinicing with a western clinicisn, not describing my nephews experience or words.
    The Knotted Pony

Um Yeahhhh. .. mom never said to keep it light. Someone on Facebook did. Mom is not that into horses besides knowing which end the halter goes on I will have to disagree that watching roping and cattle work is "out of touch with 6 year old boys". He wants to see and learn, how else would I know 1000 miles away? I never suggested he ride with Buck Brannaman. I reached out to folks who clinic with him to see what activities are available in the area involving western riding.

The word transcends was MY description of MY experience as an English rider clinicing with a western clinicisn, not describing my nephews experience or words.
    To be fair you did say you were complaining. So nix my unrequested input.