The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rita Mae Brown books- can't remember what happened in previous novels!!!

Now reading The Hound and the Fury. I've read the first four,

• Outfoxed (2000)
    • Hotspur (2002)
    • Full Cry (2003)
    • The Hunt Ball (2005)

and the Christmas one, The Tell-Tale Horse, which I did not realize I was reading out of order.

Now that I'm reading book 5, (and am very happy to discover that there are two newer books that I also have not read!!) I can't remember what happened in the other five!! I remember basics, but only enough to leave me really really confused. In addition, I've read a bunch of the Mrs. Murphy series also, which involve the same characters but aren't in the same series.

I think I remember that the Yankee did something awful, but I thought he died? There was some kind of huffle over who was going to be co-master with Sister just in case she dropped dead and she ended up picking her late husband's son from another woman.

ARGH! I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to remember what happened without actually reading the first four over! How do people keep up with series? I feel like I've forgotten everything by the time a new one comes out.

First world problem, I know, but seriously I'd love some help.

somebody gets killed, Sister Jane solves the mystery.

Hunt Ball is the one where Crawford gets kicked out (rather leaves in a huff)
    The tell tale horse is interesting, rather late.

I forgot the order in which the came out, I always have to check the front to get them right. That's especially important for the Ms Murphy stories.

I have not finished the last one, Fox Tracks, but not because the COTH review was terrifying, but because I can't finish books much these days....

But really, since they are out now, read them all in order, one after another....if you can do without sleep.
    I know I was at the time up til 3am, until DH came by, reminding me to come to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I tend to just reread the previous books.

I do have the worst memory so......

They are great in audio version - I have them all, and listen to them repeatedly while I work around home, go for walks, etc. In Itunes you can number them in the listings so that you can somewhat keep track of who goes where and when, but I have quit worrying about it. I just go with what's there. I wasn't very happy with Foxtracks, though. There was such a lag on a new Sister Jane --- and I didn't really take to this one when it did come out.
    Hunt Ball wasn't a favorite at first, but I truly love Crawford's escapade at the ball, which I'll not ruin for those who haven't read it yet.
    I also love the Mrs. Murphy series, and again, I don't sweat the order. After you've read them all a few times, it doesn't matter.
    I used to obsess about re-reading the prior books in any series before reading the new one, but there just aren't enough hours in the day, and too many new books, now that I have kindles.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

I think the real problem here is that I've read random books from the Mrs. Murphy series. I could've sworn one of these books involves a vineyard and wine making, but I'm now thinking that is one that is not part of the Hunt Series. ARGHGHHGGH! I hate not remembering things correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    I think the real problem here is that I've read random books from the Mrs. Murphy series. I could've sworn one of these books involves a vineyard and wine making, but I'm now thinking that is one that is not part of the Hunt Series. ARGHGHHGGH! I hate not remembering things correctly.
    Yes, harry Harristeen is getting into vine making, def, a Mrs Murphy book.

Not sure wich, though, but it's later, after she quit the post office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I feel the same way about Dick Francis books. Sometimes I'm right into one and remember I've already read it, but cannot remember the rest of the story, so just continue reading..!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    You're thinking of Sour Puss, a Mrs. Murphy.

You can always look them up on Amazon and read the plot summary. Might jog your memory.