The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse not eating his hay

Earlier this afternoon, I put a pad of hay in my miniature horse's nibble net and when I came back a couple of hours later, I noticed almost all of the hay was sitting in the nibble net right where I left it. Otherwise, he ate all of his grain, will graze out on the grass when turned out, drinking water, has normal vital signs, etc. The hay is a timothy low alfalfa mix, smells great, and my other horses are eating it just fine. Should I be worried??

How much grass is he getting?

My horses have a good amount of grass in their fields and are not eating their hay at all. They're getting everything they need from the fields.

If he's grazing, he's just not hungry. Not unusual at all for horses on grass to not eat hay that's offered.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    How much grass is he getting?

My horses have a good amount of grass in their fields and are not eating their hay at all. They're getting everything they need from the fields.

If he's grazing, he's just not hungry. Not unusual at all for horses on grass to not eat hay that's offered.
    Same with mine, once they get some really good grass they don't eat their hay as well. Much like us being offered a fast food fish sandwich after eating well prepared fresh seafood. Both technically fish, but after the fresh fish, the fast food 'fish' is yuck.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Is it a new/different hay than he's had? I have one who did not like the fescue hay I had from the feed store but Hoovers up the grass/fescue mix from my new hay guy.

Do you have cats or anything that might have peed on the hay before you put it in the net?

My horses stop eating their hay when the grass really comes in after spring rains. SO, I stop putting it out......I figure no one throws wild horses hay during the summer! (and have NOT had a colic or other issue, either)