The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommend a misting system; my mare is a delicate flower!

Well, that's IT. I just came in from the paddock where my TB/Oldenburg mare is standing under a tree, just sweating. Her Arabian pals are flitting about like it's Christmas, but this mare just can't take Texas in June. So I just decided I'm gonna install a misting system in the run-in shed. My question to those with experience in these matters:

Should I spring for the kind with a pump (these seem fairly complicated), or would the do-it-yerself kits from Home Depot -- they apparently attach directly to the garden hose -- suffice? If I have to get the pump kind, it will mean building a whole little enclosure to keep horses away from the machine, which I hope to avoid if possible. And when I say "I," I of course mean "my handyman"; I myself cannot tell a ball from a peen.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

2 members found this post helpful.

I used to board at a barn with a misting system. It was never used, because while it did cool, it also made a HUGE MESS as it wound up SOAKING everything within about an hour.

No clue on the quality or type of the system (although I do think it hooked up to a hose) but if misters just resulted in a whole lot of wet here in super dry Colorado, I would worry about the mud puddle potential for you in humid Texas installing it in your run in.

Perhaps big fans in the run in would be less mess and cooling enough? Hell, maybe you could use those misting FANS, as that might blow the wet over enough of an area as not to soak one spot?

I appreciate the cautionary tale. As far as the mess, my shed's got great drainage, and I only plan to run the thing for a few hours in the afternoons. Besides, it's so hot out there the mist will almost surely evaporate before it hits the sand. And if it doesn't, well, it might keep the run-in dust under control.

I use this
    http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-10060-Arizona-Outdoor-Professional/dp/B0 00A1A914/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371416216&sr=8-4&keywords=orbit+misting
    in my 12 x 20 foot greenhouse with about 10 extra misters. It is on a timer and runs for 4 hours
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I used the ones from Farmtek and they worked ok, but none of my horses would stand under them :/

Someone on here a while back talked about installing the mister up in the large shade tree that the horses stood under all afternoon. Not sure if horses would voluntarily go into the run in if that's not their normal "shady spot".

When it's uber hot here, I just have to appear and the horses come up for their twice daily hosing (from over the fence). It does relieve them for awhile
    as they look miserable before the shower.

FWIW, it's hotter in the run-in shed here than outside. (I should have put in a ridge vent...) I'd stand under a tree, too.

I would start with one of the garden hose attachments and see if they will even *use* it before you spend more on a fancier system.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Do you have stalls? I always found (in VA and now NC) that the horses prefer to sit in front of a box fan in their stalls in hot weather.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

I am a little pissed at my system right now! ;(

But I will tell you what I have.

I bought a 30 foot plastic mister set up for $30 on Costco.com

I hooked it to my hose and ran it up the side of the barn into the I side stalls that I have. For some reason during the day the horses walk I to the stalls so I also have fans set up to keep the misters moving arou d the stall. I don't have too many issues with puddles, but it is 110 here with no humidity.

So here are the issues, plastic end that hooks to the hose melted so I had to buy 3 pieced to re-do end and a clamp so it doesn't blow off the end. Then each side of where the misters go has to be zip tied tight.

For some reason in my heat they blow right off the ends and flood the area!

I now have it a rigged properly! So it has cost me over $50 to maintain, but they love it and I put it on twice a day for 3 hours.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems. I consider myself a cheap mister system pro!

wsmoak, your wisdom has enhanced my grasp on this quandary. I have ordered the cheep (comparatively) hose-based system from Amazon recommended by carolprudhm. Of course my high hopes that the horse will stand under it willingly -- which hopes are based on the fact that she loves both lounging in the run-in and being wet -- will probably be dashed by some unforeseen twist of fate. Unforeseen twists of fate are the prevailing force out here in the country. Stay tuned for pictures.

Cross-posted, Samotis!

What you describe is precisely the sort of unforeseen twist of fate I'm talkin' about! You'll be hearing from me for sure. My kit -- which I ordered despite mixed reviews on Amazon including reports of flagrant leakage -- arrives in 2 days. Until then I can be found down at the paddock hand-misting Miss Thing.

Even if they don't stand directly under it they are still cooler if they stand in the immediate area. I rigged one up along a corner of my pasture and they definitely stuck to that area of the pasture when it was super hot. The higher up you can get it, the better within reason of course. I had to put mine on the top rail of the fence but along the top of a run in or overhang of a barn would be better.

We used the $20 one from Walmart several years ago, the one with the extra length to about 50' total, the one summer it was 100F+ most of the summer, for our two old horses mostly, although we also had some youngsters then.

We ran it for several hours in the afternoon and in our heat and desert country, it rarely even got the rubber mats under the shed wet.

Horses didn't seem to care, came and went the same as they did before or after, so we have not used it this year, but it has not been that hot yet.

We didn't have any problems whatsoever, but we don't turn the water on full force.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Cross-posted, Samotis!

What you describe is precisely the sort of unforeseen twist of fate I'm talkin' about! You'll be hearing from me for sure. My kit -- which I ordered despite mixed reviews on Amazon including reports of flagrant leakage -- arrives in 2 days. Until then I can be found down at the paddock hand-misting Miss Thing.
    IME if you get leaks around the brass fittings they are not tight enough. If you have hard water the nozzles will clog.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Can you put the misting system on the tree? Trees not only make shade, the air that is cooled by the shade from their leaves circulates, so they create their own breeze. I'm sure the tree would love the extra water and the manure.

There is a TB farm down here that has the mister sticking up in the middle of the pasture. It goes from the ground (underground sprinkler system?) up about 8-9 feet and mists from there. It is a decent heavy mist and I have seen the horses standing around it close enough to get a good soaking. They look very happy to have this in effect. I think it goes off for an hour every few hours or something like that.....
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

My BIL calls a "delicate flower" a different term.

Tender.

He calls my older sister that. She is tender. Same thing, she is not tough, doesn't like too hot too cold too windy too buggy too rugged her shoes too tight the car a/c blowing on her the car a/c blowing in her face, etc.

Your mare is tender.

I think I would let the mare toughen up. Sorry, but I would.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    Can you put the misting system on the tree? Trees not only make shade, the air that is cooled by the shade from their leaves circulates, so they create their own breeze. I'm sure the tree would love the extra water and the manure.
    Trees have part of their root system in shallow roots that cover about the area of the canopy.
    That area you want to protect from horses standing there stomping, if you are careful that the tree has a good long life.
    That is part of good pasture management we followed in the East, for their horse paddocks.

Just more to consider.

When my horse was suffering from anhidrosis one summer, it also happened to be the hottest summer on record, of course. I installed a misting system in his run-in shed. I bought from this place: http://www.mistymate.com/misting-sys...o-systems.html

Installation was a breeze and I never had any melting issues. The unit is still hanging to this day, though its been a few years since I've used it.

I had to tinker with the water pressure to get a very fine mist... too much pressure made drips.

It did dramatically cool the area. I had to convince the horses to enjoy it by hanging their hay there. It took them a couple days to warm up to the idea. They liked standing just outside the mist zone.

We are very humid here, and it did soak my mats in short order. I had to throw down a thin layer of shavings to keep it from puddling.

I made a big mistake though, I didn't put a screen or filter on the water source and bits of debris made their way in clogging the misters which then caused them to jet streams of water, not mist. Had I taken care with a good filter or screen I probably wouldn't have had the problem. Our water isn't hard here.

eta: When I bought my misting system, I bought it directly off their website and the very next day my credit card number was stolen. Could be just a coincidence, but its always made me go "hmmm.'. I was clicking around their site just now and it behaved goofy for me. I suggest, if you do buy from here, call your order in or buy the brand from another dealer. Something seems wrong about their site. The product itself is very good though.

I even bought some of their personal misters for applying fly spray and they work nicely, though don't drop them off a shelf. I broke both of mine.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

I used misters and tubing that were leftover from a watering system I put up for my hanging plants. I think it is from Rainbird, but don't remember for sure. Just black tubing we attached to the top beam of the barn overhang, then added the misters every few feet, pointed down. Whole thing runs off a garden hose and I put a timer on so I can set it to run periodically. I can't let it go continuous here as we don't get hot enough so the water makes a mess...if it was really hot and dry, especially if there is wind, it would dry faster and I can run it longer. It does help cool things down. We disconnect the whole thing and drain it in the winter, so it can stay up and haven't had issues with freezing.