The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do You Think a Late Fee Is Fair?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it is not fair (please explain why)

0 0%
  • Yes, it is fair.

49 92.45%
  • Yes but only if the braider has tried to contact me/find me the last day of the show a time or two.

4 7.55%
  • yes but only if the braider has tried repeatedly to contact me over the course of a week or two.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Same here, I don't think $10 is much of a deterrent.
    And worse, it's doesn't really pay for your anxiety about not being paid.

It's one thing if these are people in your own barn that you will see again, but when you're braiding at a show, it's just so easy for them to stiff you and not even realize it's a hardship for you.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

True.

I'd be leaning towards payment in advance or, as someone suggested, no cheque no final day plaiting. (Still wanting payment for the previous work of course, but a little sharing around of the inconvenience).

True.

I'd be leaning towards payment in advance or, as someone suggested, no cheque no final day plaiting. (Still wanting payment for the previous work of course, but a little sharing around of the inconvenience).
    This is an idea. I might try it.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

The idea of allowing people to pay by credit card, and then surcharging the fee, is not legal in all areas. Something to check into if you decide to go that route.

I would likely go with e-cheques before credit cards.

Late fees make sense, although a percentage makes more sense to me than a fixed dollar amount.

Already checked I'm in WA

http://www.ibtimes.com/new-credit-ca...t-fee-1042384#

"Also, it is illegal to charge the fee in 10 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas. The remaining 40 states will charge the new “checkout” fee."
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Instead of late fee, you could offer an early payment discount. Works out to the same thing, but it encourages people to plan ahead.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If you have a smart phone, have you thought about using square so you can swipe credit cards?
    I was thinking the same thing. Or consider taking paypal. So many folks no longer keep a checkbook with them routinely.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Instead of late fee, you could offer an early payment discount. Works out to the same thing, but it encourages people to plan ahead.
    This is what I would do.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

This happens occasionally and it's one thing when it's regular customers you see in the next week or two. It's another when it's a stranger or an occasional customer.

It's annoying because it is extremely disrespectful of your time and effort. After all, you can't just braid their horse at noon when it shows at 8.

You probably have repeat offenders. The first time you see them remind them that you would like to be paid on time so you can leave when you are done working. When you see them the next day, remind them that the bill and envelope is up. If you have to chase them down, they are not worth having as customers. Don't braid for them.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

I like this idea. If there's no payment by whatever day (1st, middle, last), then you just don't braid. That'll teach them when they show up that morning to show and their horse isn't ready.

Absolutely fair! You put envelopes on the stall doors, what more do people need?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

What carp said...

I voted that it is fair to charge a late fee, but I think a better idea would be to offer a significant prepayment discount which would end up being the same thing. So if you normally charge $100, notify all of your customers that your prices are going up $25 to $125, but you will be offering a $25 discount for payments paid before the show (or by the end of day, whichever you prefer.)
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Jun. 17, 2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added quote

3 members found this post helpful.