The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do You Think a Late Fee Is Fair?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it is not fair (please explain why)

0 0%
  • Yes, it is fair.

49 92.45%
  • Yes but only if the braider has tried to contact me/find me the last day of the show a time or two.

4 7.55%
  • yes but only if the braider has tried repeatedly to contact me over the course of a week or two.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Thoughts on Late Fees?

I know I was thinking of this last year and it seems to have come up again. I am thinking of assessing a late fee for those who do not pay by the last day of the show and I would like your thoughts and opinions on it please

Each show I provide an invoice in an envelope for each horse (I know some folks do track expenses for budget and/or tax needs as well as a good bookkeeping record for me). I do expect that there be payment in the envelope by the last day of the show in the morning. In the circumstance that there may be a hickup or lack of time, I have no issue just giving my address to send a check. This happens rarely and of course people I know or am friendly with and see/speak to frequently it is absolutely fine to mail it although most do not.

Here's the scenario that has me cranky-

Three day show. I put envelopes on stall doors Friday morning (like 4 or 5 am). I know one barn is leaving Saturday, so I check yesterday morning for the two who have not paid, no envelopes, no payment, no text, no note, no call. So this morning I stop by again, empty stalls, nothing there.

I do not feel like I need to chase people around the warm up ring, coffee stand, or track them down for payment. In fact, my goal is to not be running around after people who are trying to focus and do well showing their horse! That is why I provide an envelope and they can text or call anytime so it is at their convenience.

So, I am thinking I will add to the invoice this line-

Payments made after 8:00 am the last day of the show will be assessed a $10.00 late fee. Please contact me if you need to make special arrangements for paying.

I am just too busy working my full time "real" job, studying for school, and trying to enjoy a few rare hours of downtime to want to have to play receivables collections!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

we prepay for our braiding, probably because of this very issue.

5 members found this post helpful.

Hhhm. I hate to require prepayment but I suppose if a select few folks were constantly an issue there may be no choice?
    The Knotted Pony

1 members found this post helpful.

You could require prepay for a select few. But yes, for those that abuse the payment terms, by all means charge a late charge.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Do you want to operate as a business? If so, most businesses have a contract and in that contract they define the payment schedule. Some are fine with 30 or 60 days. Some want it before the time of service.

Seems to me that what you need to do is make your expectations clear in advance. So maybe make a contract. Else ask for the fee up front.

You deserve to get paid. Make it happen but communicate your expectations as well.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

I believe it is fair. You might want to do a one time notice to everyone you provide services to that as of such and such date a late fee of $10 will be added for non payment by 8 am last day of show or something to that effect. However, if you did that would the non payers find someone else?

Oh they can use someone else then Keep in mind, this is my "hobby job" and while I appreciate added income after buying my little house, it won't make or break me in any way

Buddy I think you are right, it is just business. The expectations do need to be clear though!
    The Knotted Pony

Totally fair. I understand that a horse show is a busy environment, but when people have multiple days to find you and pay, there shouldn't be excuses. Horse world is weird anyway. Pretty much every other service on earth, you are expected to pay for at the time it is rendered. You wouldn't make a human hairdresser or mechanic or doctor chase you down for payment.

Good point furlong. And they don't even need to find me, I provide a place and if that isn't to their liking they can leave it wherever, the show office, anywhere convenient. They can leave a note, or text, or anything.
    The Knotted Pony

Late fee is totally fair. Make it clear they can pay in advance too. In fact, although the late fee is fair, IME the hassle in collecting may be such that the late fee is not enough for your hassle, worry, angst. It is completely legit and probably wise to say, "no check, no braids." Suddenly they figure out how to make it happen.

It frosts me when people are sloppy about paying the braider. I've been the braider, up all night, and there have been times when I couldn't have lunch until someone bothered to pay me.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If you have a smart phone, have you thought about using square so you can swipe credit cards?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I love Square Up! I know so many folks that use it, it is just wonderful. If I remember correctly it is a 2.75% fee per use which to me is fine. I would, of course, require the payer to take care of it. I think it is a good option.
    The Knotted Pony

About the square's 2.75% service charge.

Go into the app on the phone.

Click on the 'gear',
    click 'settings'
    click 'tax'
    click 'add new tax' pop in 2.75%.
    DONE!
    Charge your customers the 2.75%, tell them its there so there are no surprises. If they balk they can pay cash or check.
    When people buy things on line they pay for shipping and handling, why should they not pay the surcharge for the convenience of using a credit card?

And I am all for a late fee. Have a little paper drawn up that states when payment is expected that you give to each customer and have them sign it. Keep paper for your records. Carbon copies may be?

Love the tax idea Munching!
    The Knotted Pony

If it was me. I would let everyone new and those that you are having problems with know that payment is required up front . Those that you have worked with that are good at paying keep as status quo.

If there is no check at the stall the morning you show up to braid then you just move on to the next horse. This way you are not working for nothing.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

4 members found this post helpful.

I vote Eleanor's answer.

In the farrier business, there is a saying: "Work hard, but be sure you get paid." You have to.

My old farrier (Otis for those in the area) never, ever let anyone not pay at time of service. He said it avoided hassles If you or someone in lieu of you were not there with payment ready then he did not do your horse, simple as that.
    The Knotted Pony

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    My old farrier (Otis for those in the area) never, ever let anyone not pay at time of service. He said it avoided hassles If you or someone in lieu of you were not there with payment ready then he did not do your horse, simple as that.
    Yep, I had to go that way as well. What made it worse, it was a friend of mine who started that way of doing things! She was late, bounced checks, left her horses in the field for me to go play "keep away" with, etc...any rules that farriers or vets have in place for client conduct were put into place because of people like her! (No, I no longer speak with her.)

I think it's fair but I don't think it will be effective. $10 when you are spending hundreds or thousands for the show is nothing. I would say pay in full before braiding the last day or they don't get braided the last day.

6 members found this post helpful.

Same here, I don't think $10 is much of a deterrent.