The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Little Pony? Too Sexy???

CAUTION! Swallow your coffee and bump the sleeping cat off of your lap before clicking here.

(The program airs at 1 AM, so that should tell you something.)
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

They aren't THAT bad sheesh! Those Bratz dolls (I call them Slutz dolls) and monster high dolls are WAY more 'sexy' than that!

3 members found this post helpful.

They have to trash up everything don't they!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

The brony community hates the movie already....so there.

They look like a million other animated chicks. I guess Obama went to play golf so Faux News had to find something to air....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

It would be nice to see more diversity in body type, but honestly those don't look that bad. There's not cartoon cleavage hanging out or anything. I've seen worse in the toy aisle.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well geeze i grew up with spice girls as role moddls and im not a hooker... Its up to parents to teach morals and discretion!

Oh and ninja turtles!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

As an unashamed pony fan and artist what bothered me the most was that they all wore essentially the same thing despite their personalities being so different. Way more than this 'sexy' concept. Kids know cartoon characters are not like real people in that aspect. BUT they also know that Applejack in a skirt (rather than jeans which are much more practical) and Rainbow Dash looking so girly are NOT congruent with their personalities.

The ponies different personalities were developed to make them relatable to every type of girl and now they all look the same.

ETA: I suppose they all looked the same before, but there was a whole episode devoted to how what they wore was so different to each of them even as ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    Oh and ninja turtles!
    you mean to tell me that pizza is not a major food group?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you mean to tell me that pizza is not a major food group?!!!
    It is for college people... With ramen noodles

But but people tell me it isnt? Come on even can get whole wheat crust! I love pizza and poutine, think they should have their own group!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Really now....I've seen much worse in the toy section of Target! I don't watch the show or have any opinion on it really, but any outrage over this seems....silly.

1 members found this post helpful.

I grew up with the Flintstones, Bugs bunny etc.
    All the cartoons are bizarre to me today.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Please, even Rainbow Brite got a hoochie-mama makeover a few years ago: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=embedwebsite

Not even poor Strawberry Shortcake was immune: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e6o0h1auSr...yshortcake.jpg

I think it's meant to appeal to the "bronies". I'm sorry, but no one will ever convince me that there's nothing creepy about grown-ass men getting all "squeeee" over cartoons targeted for 4-8 year old girls.

5 members found this post helpful.

The current incarnation of the My Little Pony series (which is the 4th) is from Lauren Faust, who also known for The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Her shows are always creative and entertaining to both children and adults and I think Fox News is probably just miffed by female lead characters.

With the horse buying public aging and little new blood coming in I wonder if the industry will start courting the Brony crowd?

The Bronies I saw did look like Steve Wozniac and I would not one to see one in breeches* until they tone up and slim down but the industry is shrinking and if a trainer who specializes in beginners set up a booth they could make a fortune.

If the Bronies hauled their hineys away from the computer and onto a living horse they might shape up into real horsemen in a couple of years.

From what I see Bronies are young college educated men who are not out to prove how macho they are and seem to have empathy for horses.

* note to self- invent human blinker/goggles so the rider can't see the new students, maybe to keep them from looking down too. Its better than having riders stab their eyeballs out with hoofpicks after seeing a breeched Brony in a first lesson
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    With the horse buying public aging and little new blood coming in I wonder if the industry will start courting the Brony crowd?

The Bronies I saw did look like Steve Wozniac and I would not one to see one in breeches* until they tone up and slim down but the industry is shrinking and if a trainer who specializes in beginners set up a booth they could make a fortune.

If the Bronies hauled their hineys away from the computer and onto a living horse they might shape up into real horsemen in a couple of years.

From what I see Bronies are young college educated men who are not out to prove how macho they are and seem to have empathy for horses.

* note to self- invent human blinker/goggles so the rider can't see the new students, maybe to keep them from looking down too. Its better than having riders stab their eyeballs out with hoofpicks after seeing a breeched Brony in a first lesson
    LOL, not all of the bronies are the stereotypical looser, living in mom's basement!
    They might not be buff with butts you could bounce quarters off, but often enough slender enough to pull off the tights thing rather well.

However....girls are not above hormonal rages, especially when a drop of testosterone is put into the shark tank of the barn!

But seriously, girlyfied ponies will not drag guys to the barn. It will only drag them to the toy store. besides, the hard core fans do not like what they did with their ponies! Yep, Applejack in a mini skirt? Totally out of character!

But seriously, girlyfied ponies will not drag guys to the barn.
    Not even a arab barn?
    How are shetlands/minis selling nowadays?
    We could see the return of the mid-90s colored tack.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Bronies aren't gaga over MLP because of the horse factor.

Straight from a brony's mouth, why they like MLP:

1. nostalgia - a lot of watched other cartoons such as the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's and this show is from the same producer.
    2. character - the ponies in G4 aren't the flat, boring characters from the previous generations. They're relatable, endearing ponies that have meaningful developments and the creators show that in a very entertaining way.
    3. wonderful, meticulous animation and voice acting - a lot of studios these days are lazy, but the guys working for mlp slave over these episodes. rarely do they rely on still frames and blurry motion effects. and the voice actors bring out each personality well.
    4. a staff that reaches out to the brony community (they give the bronies a nod every once in a while ex. making derpy hooves canon)
    5. humor - it is no understatement to say the show is very funny. it's full of good, clean laughs that you don't see much more these days.
    6. adorableness - you knew this word was going to come up, but it's no lie.
    7. music - daniel ingram, the composer of the show, makes really nice musical theatre and acoustic pop songs.
    8. rejection of stereotypes - there are a bunch of things you'd expect to see in a girls show such as the excessive amount of pink or nonsensical drivel about boys and clothing. the show is much more gender-neutral than one would expect.
    9. fanbase - possibly the biggest factor of them all. we love being a part of something bigger, and the fanbase offers moral support, an audience for your own creative pursuits, people to laugh with and talk to, and so much entertainment. I mean there is so much talent I can't even begin to list all of the artists and composers I love.

ETA: Good info here from KYM about the brony/pegasister subculture: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcul...dship-is-magic

It has virtually nothing to do with love of real horses.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Bronies aren't gaga over MLP because of the horse factor.

Straight from a brony's mouth, why they like MLP:

1. nostalgia - a lot of watched other cartoons such as the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's and this show is from the same producer.
    2. character - the ponies in G4 aren't the flat, boring characters from the previous generations. They're relatable, endearing ponies that have meaningful developments and the creators show that in a very entertaining way.
    3. wonderful, meticulous animation and voice acting - a lot of studios these days are lazy, but the guys working for mlp slave over these episodes. rarely do they rely on still frames and blurry motion effects. and the voice actors bring out each personality well.
    4. a staff that reaches out to the brony community (they give the bronies a nod every once in a while ex. making derpy hooves canon)
    5. humor - it is no understatement to say the show is very funny. it's full of good, clean laughs that you don't see much more these days.
    6. adorableness - you knew this word was going to come up, but it's no lie.
    7. music - daniel ingram, the composer of the show, makes really nice musical theatre and acoustic pop songs.
    8. rejection of stereotypes - there are a bunch of things you'd expect to see in a girls show such as the excessive amount of pink or nonsensical drivel about boys and clothing. the show is much more gender-neutral than one would expect.
    9. fanbase - possibly the biggest factor of them all. we love being a part of something bigger, and the fanbase offers moral support, an audience for your own creative pursuits, people to laugh with and talk to, and so much entertainment. I mean there is so much talent I can't even begin to list all of the artists and composers I love.
    You are a BRONY!

But I think you are right on. I can't get my resident brony to wake up and weigh in.....

You are a BRONY!

But I think you are right on. I can't get my resident brony to wake up and weigh in.....
    No, sorry I should have clarified. I pulled that off a brony microblog. Besides I'm a chick so I'd be called a pegasister. Love MLPFiM though, I cannot lie. Not so sure I'm going to dig Equestria Girls but I'll give it a shot.

2 members found this post helpful.