The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Accidental pet training

Somewhere along the line, I accidentally trained my dog to back up when I mimic the back-up beeper of a truck. I did not realize I had done this until my SO pointed it out to me. Dog is extremely large and extremely clingy, so through the years there have been many moments when he has trapped me in a tight spot in his efforts to be right-there-at-all-times-in-case-I-need-help. I'm guessing I started beeping at him out of frustration around the 100lb threshold, and simply didn't notice that it was actually working.

What have the rest of you accidentally trained your pets to do?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

2 members found this post helpful.

LOL!

I just say "back!" but I am giggling at your description.

What I've noticed is that I say "hup HUP!" to my dogs when I want them to move on much I like I do with my horse(s). But I didn't realize what I was doing til my husband made mention that I do it to him and the kids as well. "hup HUP" I chirp when I want them to move on.

I also do a lot of "whoa!" Which for me means stop right now.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Somehow I've trained a lot of my cats to deliberately claw the furniture when they want out. I mean we all know that clawing the furniture gets the cat tossed outside, I just wish they'd go to the door and meow instead.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.

Rubyfree,

If you can get that on video that would be awesome! I realized that I accidentally taught my dog the word "Nap". When ever I say, "I am going to take a nap" he runs to the bedroom and waits to be invited onto the bed. I guess I take a lot of naps!

2 members found this post helpful.

I took my sheltie in a short walk around the neighborhood one day. We had been outside all afternoon so I wasn't expecting him to poop and did not have a poop bag along. When he hunkered down I very quietly sort of moaned "nooooo." He pooped in the house exclusively for the next few days! Apparently that one no meant I had changed the rules and it is no longer ok to poop outside which naturally means he must poop inside from now on. Had to go back to square one for a few days.

Oh yeah, every dog I've ever owned or worked with has moved on when clicked at, knows "whoa" means stop, and understood the basic principle of the half-halt when applied through a leash.

I can totally get a video. He's a very obedient truck.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

4 members found this post helpful.

My dog sniffs everything when we walk and it gets on my nerves. Sure if you want to sniff then pee thats fine, but he would sniff one spot for what seemed like 5 mins then just walk away. I got fed up waiting for him, but hated pulling on him all the time. So without realizing it, I started counting down from 3 and by the time I got to 1, he either needed to pee on it or we were walking on. I didn't realize I did this till I was walking at my friends and they were laughing at me, but hey it works!

When I say 'time for bed', my gal heads for the bedroom, jumps up on the bed, and goes to sleep. Doesn't matter what time of day or night!

My dog trained himself to go stand in the crate and wait for me to leave whenever I blow-dry my hair.

3 members found this post helpful.

when I turn off my computer at night, my dog runs to his crate!

My dog has started to remind ME of bedtime. If I'm running late, she gets restless and stands by the bedroom door. If I'm running really late, she'll throw whining into the mix. Guess she gets tired, too. (She has beds all over the house, but I suppose the dog couch in the bedroom is preferred?)

My husband has trained them that when he takes off his glasses in the evening, it's time for dinner. He takes on his glasses and put them on the desk, and they're up and at the top of the stairs.

My mom gives me my depo shot, and meeko thinks that since hes good he gets treats and i dont, raw deal i tell ya!!

Miloe i can tell to go in bed and he goes to his kitty bed
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Back when I lived by myself, my dog quickly learned we were about to go somewhere when.... I put pants on.

What- I liked walking around pantsless a lot! Plus it's a pain to stretch out the rear of your favorite jeans....

6 members found this post helpful.

I say beep beep to get the dogs out of my way when I'm coming through. They tend to scatter. My nephew, not a dog person, saw me do this on a visit and thought it was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Back when I lived by myself, my dog quickly learned we were about to go somewhere when.... I put pants on.

What- I liked walking around pantsless a lot! Plus it's a pain to stretch out the rear of your favorite jeans....
    That brought back a great memory! I had a lab who tore her acl when she was about a year old. She had surgery but it healed with calcium all over the place and she was in tons of pain. Sometimes not even weight bearing for years. We tried all sorts of stuff but finally I had enough. I medicated her to the gills and suddenly she had a life. LOVED going to the barn so much that she would wag her tail so hard that it wiggled her whole body. She got so excited we thought she would have a heart attack. We had to be very careful not put our breeches on until just before we were ready to walk out the door. Somehow she knew the difference between breeches and any other type of pants! She had a great five years drunk off her butt then we buried her at the barn so she could be there forever.

4 members found this post helpful.

Both of my schnauzers have been good alert dogs late at night when they hear doors open or strange noises. I appreciate the heads up but usually I know it is a roommate coming home or a loud neighbor. When my first one would keep growling after I told him to knock it off I would say "come snuggle or get in trouble. Your choice." After a while all I had to do was say "snuggle" and he would grumble his way up to the top of the bed and let out a dramatic sigh and flop his head on my chest.
    I always joked that when I lost the first one he moved into the body of what would become my second schnauzers. Dexter from day one understood "snuggle" and does the exact same behavior. Somehow he just knew.

I taught my rather enthusiastic Irish Wolfhound puppy to sit for treats, then raise one paw up to "say please" before he would get his goodie. Enter the Wire Fox Terrier puppy, who watched this once or twice, and when I would offer a treat, he would sit and say please, too. I never taught him this, but big brother did.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

BIL's dog goes and gets in her crate as soon as she hears the eagle call at the end of The Colbert Report. To Sophie, that sound is the signal that it's bedtime.

5 members found this post helpful.

My dog knows the difference between get in your bed(crate) and let's go to bed. On the nights I work, she sleeps in her crate. On my nights off she sleeps in my bedroom.

My husband and I have differing ideas about dogs on the couch...I'm all for it and he is not. Our dog figured out herself that if I'm the only one home, the couch is fair game...but when she hears the garage door open, she hops off the couch and goes to her bed. In the evenings, she hangs out on her bed if my husband and I are downstairs together...but if he goes up to bed and I stay up to finish up some work, as soon as she hears the upstairs door close, she pops up and snuggles up on the couch. This has been going on for 6-8months or so and hubby is none the wiser
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

5 members found this post helpful.