The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default chewed Nathe bit: Can I sand it to smoothness.... or what?

How do you all take care of your nice, expensive Nathe bits once some ungrateful horse has chewed them and left rough spots?

I'm determined to fix mine. No way am I having the tender-mouthed horse for whom I bought the sucker (and who chewed it) now tell me it's too rough for him.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Shh i did when just a small spot on my happy mouth had a chew mark, just cuz it was a bit sharp, other than that little fixable spot why would i buy a new one since its useable? And the spot was in a place that wouldnt actually rub or anything..
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

There is that stuff you can buy to wrap around the bit....I'm sorry, for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. Ask at the tack store, they'll know.
    Adding in: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-to-this-stuff
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

^^^

That stuff is Sealtex.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Pony got a good grip on a happy mouth once and I tried sanding it, but he'd actually punched a hole in it and bent it- (how? no clue) so I tried wrapping it with Sealtex and I couldn't put just one and a half wraps on it without him chewing that off, more than two and he really fussed with it, I guess it was too large. Just do it, you can't ruin it can you?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I would try heating up a small metal rod (do you have a heat puncher for nylon straps?) and *very* lightly rubbing it over the surface to melt it smooth. Sanding will result in a rough finish, unless you use a very light grit, which may work...? or may not be strong enough to get it smooth.
    The Nathes are so fat anyway that I think Sealtex will make them obnoxious.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Yanno, that melting it back to smoothness is a right cool idea. I hadn't thought of that.

I think Sealtex would make it too fat and that stuff is always a PITA to use plus nasty-looking in short order.

Heck, I have a gas range in the place I rent... and the bit isn't good for man or beast as it is, so what do I have to lose by getting all melty?

Maybe I should undertake the experiment for the benefit of all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Trying to think which would be wiser - the sandpaper or the heat - to use first.
    I had a horse that had a hook and it chewed the Nathe and we sanded it down almost perfectly. Heat might melt or cause a ridge, dunno.

And before all the COTH'ers jump all over me, it was a new horse and had not had its teeth done in a while, which I fixed.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Dremel? With their sandpaper attachment followed by jeweler's rouge? I tried this on a couple of happy mouths and it seemed to work pretty well. At least the horse didn't complain.

But Happy Mouths, at least mine, aren't as soft as Nathes.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Good ideas - my mare chewed her bit pretty quickly and I didn't do anything because she had a different rubber bit and chewed that one to the same "specs" I figured she likes it that way. But if I want to use it for another horse I will have to smooth it up.

You have to post if melting it works!

When my mare grabbed a bite of hay from a friends hay net in her nice duo ring snaffle (brat) she chomped a huge chunk out all the way to the cable.

I just wrapped once with the sealtex and it didnt' add much bulk at all and covered that nasty gap, Its been on there now about 2 1/5 years without any issues.

I have the same issue as Jumper_girl221 with my Nathe bit. I was think about filling in the chewed space with some sort of epoxy. I have wrapped it with Sealtex to try to fix it but it made it spongy and even more chewable.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

OP, I will be curious to see what works...

Quote Originally Posted by INoMrEd View Post
    I have the same issue as Jumper_girl221 with my Nathe bit. I was think about filling in the chewed space with some sort of epoxy. I have wrapped it with Sealtex to try to fix it but it made it spongy and even more chewable.
    I only did one loop around...it is spongy, but I cut the wrap narrower and wrapped the entire bit so its only slightly thicker but the pressure is uneven.