The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Help me find...

Thought this could maybe become an all-purpose thread...

I've got an older stable blanket that has an open front. There are 2 big grommets on each side and they have no buckles. I used to have the buckle straps to keep it closed, but they seem to have disappeared. The straps were like a tiny dog collar - nylon webbing with a buckle. I CANNOT for the life of me figure out what they're called and I need to order a couple of new ones before our first show in a couple weeks. My horse lives at home with near constant outdoor access so he lives in turnouts so the stable blanket hasn't been used since last show season.

I've tried Schneider and Smartpak, but they don't seem to exist in the "blanket accessories" section. What are they called? Where can I get two of them? If I can't find them I'll have to use leather thongs or shoelaces and I can already feel my trainer rolling her eyes at further evidence that I just don't care enough about "presentation" at shows.

Help?!?!

Contact Big D? I think they're the guys who really have blankets like that right?

http://www.bigdblankets.com/blankets...a-options.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHennery View Post
    If I can't find them I'll have to use leather thongs or shoelaces and I can already feel my trainer rolling her eyes at further evidence that I just don't care enough about "presentation" at shows.
    Ha, if that was my trainer she'd show up to find I'd used duct tape to secure the front closed. Otherwise....
    ZIPTIES! if you don't mind a closed-front. Strong and neat. Otherwise, yes, Big D can send you some. You could probably go to a leather guy and have him make your some straps cheaper.
    (Is it really blanket weather there right now? Yikes.)
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Simkie - thanks! I don't know what brand this one is (I got it used and the tags are gone), but it looks different from a Big D closure. It looks like the strap in the lower left corner of this picture and is, in fact, a quilted blanket like that one.
    https://rainbowsendtack.com/product%...2013/QHB36.JPG

CD - yeah, I mentioned in passing tonight that I'd remembered to have the damn thing washed, but that I'd had to toss the buckle things because they were toast and I thought I'd just use some extra shoelaces and I got "the look". So funny. I'm totally the client that doesn't really care, but thought if I could find them it would be worth the few bucks to not be that client this time.

As for weather? It's down into the high 40s here tonight and the show barn is notoriously cold. He won't need it during the day, but will likely appreciate it at night. Also, I brought him home this spring from my trainer's barn after I bought him (where he'd been under lights). The result, since I'm a lazy show horse owner and didn't blanket well enough? He's sporting a slightly out of season coat (he fuzzed up last month) and I'm keeping him a bit warmer in hopes he'll shed it before summer arrives July-Sep or he's gonna be hot or I'll have to have him clipped.

Thanks!

ps. The pony in question
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...34925994_n.jpg

Could you use something like a leather curb strap?
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

What's wrong with dog collars? At least not baling twine. How about sewing the front closed?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    What's wrong with dog collars? At least not baling twine. How about sewing the front closed?
    I agree, just get a couple of collars that match.

I would look on Etsy for people who make dog collars and the like and contact one of those crafty people--they can probably make you something custom.

Etsy is like a treasure trove of people doing clever things, a lot of sellers are really responsive to questions about custom work and generally the prices are pretty darn good.
    Click here before you buy.