The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ouch - $4.2 million spend and debut yielding 7th place

Not every premium purchase will be a Royal Delta (although she was defeated today too) yet this really was/is a head scratching investment: Mr. Besilu (acquired at Keeneland's 2010 September Yearling Sale) for $4.2 million.

Owner Benjamin Leon (Besilu Stables) dumped Todd Pletcher as the trainer for Bill Mott before this colt made his debut today at 4-yrs old with Mike Smith up. He looked in all honesty less than impressive from the opening of the gates. Obviously it isn't any horse's fault someone paid perhaps too much of him/her but still its make you wonder what the buyer was thinking.

pdf - race chart Race 4, CD June 15, 2013

I wouldn't say it was a head-scratching investment- By AP Indy out of Balance? Not exactly a shabby pedigree. Of course, you have to wonder why the Amerman's decided to sell him if he was so spectacular as a foal.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/novak...ars-Debut.aspx

1 members found this post helpful.

Many good horses have less than impressive first races. It's early days..

He does have a great pedigree and is a very nice looking horse.

As one of the comments to the blood horse article mentioned, Malibu Moon had one start. So the breeding could pay off in the end.
    At least he was cheaper and better bred than the Green Monkey!

2 members found this post helpful.

Malibu Moon had 2 starts, a second and a win. I feel badly for Bill Mott having to train this slug. Talk about pressure. I felt sorry for Todd when he had the Monkey too.

Looks like Besilu needs to back off a little, I think the owner is wasting his money at a rapid rate... Sponsoring Gulfstream, commercials, overpaying for horses at every sale...

Just sit back and enjoy the races man.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Isn't Balance out of the same dam as Zenyatta? If so aren't her foals known for being late to develop?

It definitely wasn't impressive but I wouldn't shut the door on him just yet.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Plus he was carrying 123 to most of the field's 116/117.
    Actually the field was simply applying weight for age: Three Year Olds = 116 Lbs.; Older = 123 Lbs. Everyone else was 3-yrs old.

Admittedly plenty of horses haven't impressed in their debut, but he's already been given time to mature. He could turn it all around, maybe try the grass, maybe he could become a great steeplechaser, or above all else he could just remain a nice horse. I just was surprised at the dollar amount and the hype pre race by HRTV (you'd think he was going to be something else) only to see him doddle along with Mike up.

I remember seeing him at Keeneland as a yearling, and he was impressive; his page and his physical looked every bit of $4M.

But, after seeing him run, I REALLY like him-- as a sporthorse prospect! IMO, he does not gallop like a racehorse at all. He has nice uphill movement, not unlike my nice AP Indy grandson who's turning into a fabulous eventer. But mine couldn't outrun a fat man at River Downs, and cost considerably less!

Mr Besilu is 4, I think his gallop/way of going pretty much is what it is. While athletic, he isn't a classic head-down, neck-out, knees-out mover with an effortless ground-covering stride. But I'd take a dozen like him as an event horse-- that uphill gallop says a nice mover for dressage, and great balance coming to a fence. Hopefully this race was just a learning experience and maybe he does have some speed; it would be nice to see that pedigree realized and eventually passed down. Kudos, though, to Besilu Stables for racing him at a late age, rather than just quietly sending him off to stud in a statebred program.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I was reading a book on Northern Dancer and his descendents recently, and it said the all-time record yearling, 13-odd million, was pretty much a loss, too.

On the other hand, I remember an article from Blood Horse many, many years ago (before FuPeg) which hypothesized that you had bought the highest priced yearling at auction each year for the last 30 or so. It added track earnings and what you would have made at stud to see if these $$$ yearlings were really profitable in the end on ROI.

Unfortunately, while their sample proved that in fact most of the yearlings were a loss, there was one year that they said skewed the results as a whole statistically, that being 1971, when the highest-priced yearling of the year was Mr. Prospector.

Yeah, I think the folks who bought Mr. P at auction probably made a profit at the end of the day between racing and stud.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    Malibu Moon had 2 starts, a second and a win. I feel badly for Bill Mott having to train this slug. Talk about pressure. I felt sorry for Todd when he had the Monkey too.
    I didn't see him run. Is there video on the net?

Did he look like one of these? http://www.horseandcountry.tv/celebr...ire-horse-race

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I was reading a book on Northern Dancer and his descendents recently, and it said the all-time record yearling, 13-odd million, was pretty much a loss, too.
    Seattle Dancer may have broke even for Coolmore. They more than likely recouped millions in stud fees. They probably got several million more when they sold him to the Japanese.

He was G1 placed on the track, so he wasn't a shabby racehorse.
    He wasn't a complete flop as a stallion either, he sired a G1 winners on both side of the Atlantic, including a Kentucky Oaks winner and his progeny earned over $30m in earnings.

Was he worth a $13m gamble? As a half brother to a Triple Crown winner and by a hot sire who the following year would sire the winners of both Espom and Kentucky Derbies .. then, yeah he probably was worth the gamble.

John Magnier and Coolmore have hit so many home runs with top stallions that a $13m here for a Seatlle Dancer and a $16m there for a Green Monkey are peanuts compared to the $100s of millions they make every year.

2 members found this post helpful.

It was his first start. He was very green. He lost, so what. Let's see how he does in his next start.

As for Besliu (the man) - he bought Royal Delta for a hefty penny. She's won a few decent races for him (and an Eclipse award). While she didn't win yesterday, I bet she bounces back.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Actually the field was simply applying weight for age: Three Year Olds = 116 Lbs.; Older = 123 Lbs. Everyone else was 3-yrs old.
    I'm aware of how weight for age works. Point remains he was the only four-year-old and therefore the only horse carrying more than 117. Age doesn't necessarily make up for weight as that's just the assumption three-year-olds are automatically weaker than four-year-olds. I wouldn't have bet a heavyweight where EVERYONE in the field was getting spotted that much weight-odds are way too good that someone is going to be faster carrying a lighter impost. Not a good spot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm aware of how weight for age works. Point remains he was the only four-year-old and therefore the only horse carrying more than 117. Age doesn't necessarily make up for weight as that's just the assumption three-year-olds are automatically weaker than four-year-olds. I wouldn't have bet a heavyweight where EVERYONE in the field was getting spotted that much weight-odds are way too good that someone is going to be faster carrying a lighter impost. Not a good spot for him.
    As a 4yo, HE was getting a break in the WFA scale. An older horse should have been spotting 3yos 10lbs going a Mile in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Seattle Dancer may have broke even for Coolmore. They more than likely recouped millions in stud fees. They probably got several million more when they sold him to the Japanese.

He was G1 placed on the track, so he wasn't a shabby racehorse.
    He wasn't a complete flop as a stallion either, he sired a G1 winners on both side of the Atlantic, including a Kentucky Oaks winner and his progeny earned over $30m in earnings.

Was he worth a $13m gamble? As a half brother to a Triple Crown winner and by a hot sire who the following year would sire the winners of both Espom and Kentucky Derbies .. then, yeah he probably was worth the gamble.

John Magnier and Coolmore have hit so many home runs with top stallions that a $13m here for a Seatlle Dancer and a $16m there for a Green Monkey are peanuts compared to the $100s of millions they make every year.
    It was Snaafi Dancer at $10m who was a real bust for the Maktoums. He was so slow on the gallops that they shipped him off to Oz for stud duty rather than risk the ridicule that racing him would've caused. He failed as a stud, too - I think he was infertile.

The horses don't know what the numbers on the auction board mean, that's for sure.