WWYD - I have a breeding and not sure of broodmare suitability
I recently reacquired my old 22 year old Children's hunter who is a very nice Hanoverian mare, but is a maiden broodmare. I did all the checks with the vet to test that she could get pregnant and carry a foal full term and was given the OK by the vet. I purchased semen for Westporte and had her AI'ed twice. Both times were right when she was ovulating and the perfect time to inseminate. Neither time she took and the vet said if she didn't take the past two times, she likely will not take at all.
The ladies at Country Lane Farm have been very helpful and said I could breed another mare to him if my mare did not take; however, the only other mare I have is a 16.3 Paint/TB APHA registered 4 year old mare that is just now at the trainer's place being broke out. I was really looking forward to riding her this year and I don't know how suitable she really is to be bred to a Hanoverian. My MIL breeds a few AQHA and APHA mares every year so we have a full scale breeding operation here, but all the broodmares are quarter horses or paints, some of which are TB crosses.
What would you guys do in this situation? I'm heartbroken that my mare will not take, but I did know this was a possibility.
There are a ton of broodmares around. You could find a lease or pick a really nice mare and try an embryo transplant. It is such a crap shot when you off breed. It might work out or it might really not with the odds being it won't.
If it were me, I would find a really nice mare and try with an embryo transplant or lease. He looks like he crosses well with Tb's.
Or ask if Country lane has any foals this year you might be interested in and ask if you could put the money towards one of those. Depending on the prices, it may be just as cheap to buy when all is said and done.
Plenty for lease, I would contact Rosebud Ranch (I think that is her SN on here) and ask if she is willing to lease Suburbanite xx, I know she was for sale. That mare has had some lovely Hunter offspring.
Agreed with trying to find a lease. There's some really nice mares available for leases right now...I know my sister is trying to find someone that would be willing to take her mare on while she finishes college and I KNOW she's not the only one.
Thanks everyone! I'm thinking I will hold off until next year and do a breeding lease. I knew it was a long shot on my older mare, but when the vet said he didn't see any reason why she couldn't get pregnant and carry a foal I really got my hopes up. At the end of the day, I have a breeding to a very nice stallion so I'll still end up with a nice foal