The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can these Dress Boots be Salvaged?

Is it possible/worth it to try and salvage a 30 year old pair of dehners?

About 4 years ago I got a pair of custom pre-owned Dehners for a good deal. The seller listed that the boots were cleaned and placed in storage for several years. Once I unwrapped them I realized that "several years" was 1984. Amazingly the boots were in wonderful condition and looked basically unworn.

I wore them for 6 months and broke them in as much as I think is possible. In all, they are tight through the ball of the foot, wide in the heel, loose in the lower leg, and painfully tight in the calf.

I am wondering if it is worth it to have a cobbler stretch the upper foot bed, put in a heel lift, and have a front zipper added (and take in the lower calf at the same time). I imagine this will run $200-350? Will a cobbler even touch the leather at all?

For $300-350 I can get a lower end pair of off the rack dress boots but I can be harder to fit and I know that the quality of leather will not compare to the Dehners. On the other hand a cobbler might destroy the boots and then I am out the money.

Has anyone tried something similar? Is it better to just cut my losses?

Spray the boots inside and out with stretching spray and put them on with thin socks. If that works, then dampen and do the same thing again. (IF there is a cobbler with forms (very rare today) they could be stretched there.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda