The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2000
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    7,170

    Default Emotional Reunion Between Owner and Horse Lost in CO Fires

    It's not often you see a grown man cry. I would have too.

    http://www.kjct8.com/news/video/Man-...z/-/index.html
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier


    7 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2002
    Location
    The horse country of VA
    Posts
    3,328

    Default

    I saw this earlier, and I had to wonder why he left the horse in the barn? If I were him, I'd have let the horse loose if I couldn't load it up and take it with me.

    Very glad they were reunited. Can't imagine having to leave a horse behind like that.
    Equus Keepus Brokus


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 28, 2003
    Location
    Dundurn, SK
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    I saw this earlier, and I had to wonder why he left the horse in the barn? If I were him, I'd have let the horse loose if I couldn't load it up and take it with me.

    Very glad they were reunited. Can't imagine having to leave a horse behind like that.
    I was thinking the same thing. Why would you leave your horses in a barn?
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

    Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    I think I'd have turned 'em loose, too, although, thank the Lord I've never had to decide what was best to do in a situation like that.

    I've often wondered if you could drive out could you ride the horses out if no trailer was available?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Glad it worked out!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,535

    Default

    Since the horse was able to leave the barn and get lost, I'm going to guess his barn was an in/out set-up.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte


    6 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 3, 2012
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Since the horse was able to leave the barn and get lost, I'm going to guess his barn was an in/out set-up.
    The reporter, not the owner, said the horse was left in a barn. I wouldn't assume the reporter knows the difference between a barn and a corral. Until you've been the subject of a news report, you don't fully respect how much the media mess up.

    Both those cowboys state so simply and perfectly the whole "thing" about horses. There it is!


    7 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2012
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    He loved his horse so much he left it behind?

    Unless the fire was at his front door, I don't see how he couldn't have had time to hitch up his trailer and load the horse. Assuming of course the trailer in the video is his. I would have walked my horse away in hand if I had to before I would just drive away.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    He loved his horse so much he left it behind?

    Unless the fire was at his front door, I don't see how he couldn't have had time to hitch up his trailer and load the horse. Assuming of course the trailer in the video is his. I would have walked my horse away in hand if I had to before I would just drive away.
    I've wondered this too when hearing someone say how much they love their pet, yet they don't have an emergency plan and at the first hint of trouble the pet/animal gets left.

    I have driven my pick up loaded with supplies and led my horse from the drivers window. Not ideal, but I wasn't going to risk not being able to get back for her.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    6 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2008
    Location
    Greeley, Colorado
    Posts
    3,869

    Default

    Sometimes there isn't enough time. Fires move FAST and are often unpredictable. He could have been getting prepared to move the horses when he had to move NOW or risk his own life.

    So glad they're back together. I definitely cried.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate


    5 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2005
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    I believe that you cannot judge what happened because all the facts were not reported and because until you've had mere minutes to leave or risk being killed you just don't really know what you would do.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeHorseNight View Post
    I believe that you cannot judge what happened because all the facts were not reported and because until you've had mere minutes to leave or risk being killed you just don't really know what you would do.
    You really are right but I honestly do not think I could just go leaving horses locked in a barn. I'd have to do something even if it was just turning them out.
    Not because I'm brave but because I don't think I could live with myself any other way but as you say you don't know til it comes. I hope I never have to find out for sure what I would do.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2005
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    I agree with you pj - it has always been my plan to turn them loose in an emergency if I can't take them with me. In this case we don't really know if the horse was locked in or not and what other events transpired. I live not far from where this fire is burning and have thought repeatedly through the years about how to evacuate with my dogs and horses (and even the barn cats, and I am so not a cat person). It is my nightmare that my horses or dogs will be locked in the barn, house, or kennel and not be able to escape a fire. I know firefighters will do what they can to save animals, but sometimes things happen so quickly that they can't be saved. I know it wasn't the case in this story, but many people have more horses than trailer space - they've got one trailer that hauls two or three or maybe four horses but they own five or six or seven (or more) horses. It's scary because in a sudden emergency there isn't time to call around and see who has space in their trailer for one of yours. I'm glad he was reunited.

    A tip for those who might ever have to set their horses free rather than take them along - think about how to mark your phone number on your horse. I've been told to use spray paint, but I know many horses wouldn't stand still for that. I think that Swat might work - the kind that is bright yellow or pink. Or maybe a grease marker. You can also buy some of those livestock bands that go around a horse's neck and write your phone numbers on them. They should break if they get stuck on something. You might also be able to write on his hooves with a sharpie. There might not be time in am emergency to mark the horse, but keep that idea in mind. Also, keep a set of photos of your horse on your phone (which you're likely to take with you if you evacuate); take pictures showing a close up of his face, markings on his legs or body, scars, etc. That will help if you need to be matched up with your horse when he ends up at a shelter.

    I hope there are more happy reunions as people are able to return to their homes.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2002
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    You really are right but I honestly do not think I could just go leaving horses locked in a barn. I'd have to do something even if it was just turning them out.
    Not because I'm brave but because I don't think I could live with myself any other way but as you say you don't know til it comes. I hope I never have to find out for sure what I would do.
    As was already mentioned, the reporter talked about leaving them in the barn. But we can't tell from the report if the horse was literally locked in a stall in a barn. In the western US, the "barn" could be a large paddock with a run in. Since the horse got loose, my guess is he wasn't locked up tight in stall.

    Wildfires can move incredibly fast. Sometimes there is no time. Two people died in these fires. Apparently the garage doors and car doors were open, but they were not able to escape.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    As was already mentioned, the reporter talked about leaving them in the barn. But we can't tell from the report if the horse was literally locked in a stall in a barn. In the western US, the "barn" could be a large paddock with a run in. Since the horse got loose, my guess is he wasn't locked up tight in stall.

    Wildfires can move incredibly fast. Sometimes there is no time. Two people died in these fires. Apparently the garage doors and car doors were open, but they were not able to escape.
    Not implying that that particular horse/horses were locked in the barn, just saying I don't think leaving them in a barn is something that I could ever do.
    Couldn't leave them in a paddock either. If I couldn't trailer out or ride out I'd have to set them loose. Again..I hope I do not ever ever have first hand experience and I feel so sorry for those that do.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 9, 2012
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Many people were given a one hour notice to evacuate or very seriously risk dying. ONE HOUR. What if he had family he had to take care of? A sick elder, children, dogs that were easier to catch, not enough room or time?

    Who are you to judge how he handled the situation? Just be happy like the rest of us that he is reunited with his horse and see the beauty in that.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmmoran View Post
    Many people were given a one hour notice to evacuate or very seriously risk dying. ONE HOUR. What if he had family he had to take care of? A sick elder, children, dogs that were easier to catch, not enough room or time?

    Who are you to judge how he handled the situation? Just be happy like the rest of us that he is reunited with his horse and see the beauty in that.
    If this was directed at me you need to reread my post and stop judging
    on whether or not I am judging someone else....I was NOT. Simply saying what I thought I would do in a like situation.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2001
    Location
    Cullowhere?, NC
    Posts
    8,633

    Default

    This whole thing is so horrifying to think about. Any happy results are good to hear about, regardless of apparent mistakes or missing information.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

    Spay and neuter. Please.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 9, 2009
    Posts
    582

    Default

    The trouble with turning them loose as a last ditch effort is that they get in the way of emergency vehicles and evacuees. You have to do what you can when it's a last-minute evacuation notice.

    My farrier didn't have a horse trailer during the last big fire in our area, and the fire seemed stable for a while. His place was at the base of a bluff, with no view toward the fire, and the first warning came when a spotter plane dove over the hill and flew low over his farm, the pilot waving frantically at him. A travel trailer was already hooked to his truck, and he tied his two horses and a mule to the bumper of the trailer, not ideal, but it worked. The stock had better sense than to raise hell when hell was coming up behind them. He drove out at a slow jog, and got them all to safety, 5 miles down the road. They were a little sweaty and out of breath, but safe.

    I think I'd ride out rather than leave any horse in a fire, but only the person who's there knows exactly what can be done, and what can't.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: Dec. 31, 2010, 08:21 PM
  2. NJ Housewives reunion...
    By SarahandSam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep. 6, 2010, 05:37 PM
  3. Am I being too emotional?
    By Savoy 8 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Dec. 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
  4. UPDATE: Lost pony, CATLETT, VA - OWNER FOUND!
    By Liberty in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug. 21, 2009, 09:22 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: May. 4, 2009, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness