The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tips for creating hay storage area under barn eaves.

We have a 3 stall barn and normally use one stall for hay storage since we only have two horses. DD's dressage horse is coming to live here for a month or 2 so we need to make new arrangements for the hay. Previously we moved pallets into the aisle and tack room (NOT ideal but we made it work over Christmas) but the mess is awful.

We don't keep more than 10 to 15 bales at a time so we thought about creating a hay storage next to the outside barn wall under the elongated eaves. Other than putting down crushed rock then pallets and draping a tarps to keep the rain from blowing on it-- will this work or am I whistling Dixie here?

Thanks for any advice

I've had to do it when we had more hay than storage. Suggest you put tarps under the pallets for vapor barrier, because you can get moisture seeping up. Also make sure you really secure the bottom of the hanging tarps. Cement blocks can even been blown with a strong wind.

I was worried that a tarp would "sweat" but it sounds like that wasn't a problem for you. Thanks. I will re- think the gravel then.

Could you get a smaller, older cheap bumper pull utility flat trailer and store the hay on it, with a tied down tarp over it?

Most trailer places have some such around for little.
    You can store the trailer under the eaves also.
    The advantage, you can move the trailer around if you need the hay somewhere else.
    Easy to load the hay from your pickup or the delivery trailer right onto it, no more hay than you store.
    If the trailer is roadworthy for hay hauling, you could even go get your own hay.

Some smaller feed stores here will lease such trailers for a minimum amount and trade trailers when they deliver one full one to you, taking the empty one with them.

We stored hay under our barn eves successfully for years. Gravel (or screenings base), pallets and a tarp shold keep your hay dry. We finally enclosed an area under the eves to create a permanent hay storage area, and it works great.

We stored hay under our barn eves successfully for years. Gravel (or screenings base), pallets and a tarp should keep your hay dry. We finally enclosed an area under the eves to create a permanent hay storage area, and it works great.

If your eaves are not protecting much space, could you extend the roof line in a handy spot to make more of a storage overhang?