The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best poultice?

For drawing out an abscess? I have a 3 yo who I sent off to the cowboy for 10 days. He is barefoot and came back off in L front. He was ridden over pretty rocky terrain, so I'm thinking stone bruise and/or abscess....Farrier cannot come for a week. So I thought I might poultice the foot to see if I can draw it out...

My friend suggested sugar mixed with betadine and epsom salts? Any other great ideas,,,TIA..

Our farrier swears by Magic Cushion and it has worked on all outs. I have also used Animalintex poultice and thermapak thinks and that has also been quite successful.

Quote Originally Posted by galloping-gourmet View Post
    For drawing out an abscess? I have a 3 yo who I sent off to the cowboy for 10 days. He is barefoot and came back off in L front. He was ridden over pretty rocky terrain, so I'm thinking stone bruise and/or abscess....Farrier cannot come for a week. So I thought I might poultice the foot to see if I can draw it out...

My friend suggested sugar mixed with betadine and epsom salts? Any other great ideas,,,TIA..
    First of all I'll try not to be critical, but here goes: Why not call your vet and get a real diagnosis instead of guessing? Did you actually find a sore spot with hoof testers?

Second, I have to say if I sent a horse out for training and it came back lame I would be calling the trainer. How do you know it's an abscess, it could be something much more serious that you are not seeing and time is not your friend if it's swelling in a tendon. I hope this is nothing serious, but really he came back from the trainer lame and the trainer didn't say anything?

I hope this works out.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

3 members found this post helpful.

Animalintex. Is there any heat or swelling in the foot or leg? I too, would be pretty ticked if I had a 3 year old come back sore after only 10 days of training.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Call you vet and get a diagnosis.
    I knew there was something I liked about you

Any other great ideas,,,TIA..
    A good examination of the horse and application of hoof testers. Well within the capabilities of any horse person.

It's a good guess, but why not make sure before wasting your time (potentially) on messy poultices and so you can make sure nothing else (potentially) much worse isn't going on?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I knew there was something I liked about you
    Your likey me typogfikal errars?

Your likey me typogfikal errars?
    I chose to ignore it as the subject at hand seemed more relevant. Still wondering if anyone called a vet yet. . .

Planning to call tomorrow...

I would also politely call the trainer and tell him your horse came home lame and you want to know what happened. He will of course say your horse was fine when he left bla,bla, bla, this is where the vet can say yes it is an old injury or nope, a new something or other. And now I will give you my FWIW . . . Why is a 3 year old going barefoot over rocky terrain? Did you okay this? Just curious. Let us know what the vet says and hope it's just an abscess.

A stone bruise is a different situation than an abscess. Like another poster said, a vet can help you make that determination.

If it's a bruise, then I tend to use Uptite poultice, changed daily.

If it's an abscess (taking a the digital pulse is also key in assessing) that is deep and cannot be opened by the vet, then soak, soak, soak in a hot water bath of espsoms salts. 3 x day ith water as hot as the horse will tolerate ( not to go above the corornary band). Hopefully that will bring it to a head and your vet or farrier can find the spot with testers and create a small drainage hole. Of course that would need to packed with cotton/betadine, wrapped and continue to be soaked until it has drained out. After that? A shoe and a pad until the sole has grown out and the tract has grown out.

Anything involving the hoof is not worth guessing about. You know..."no hoof, no horse".

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I would also politely call the trainer and tell him your horse came home lame and you want to know what happened. He will of course say your horse was fine when he left bla,bla, bla, this is where the vet can say yes it is an old injury or nope, a new something or other. And now I will give you my FWIW . . . Why is a 3 year old going barefoot over rocky terrain? Did you okay this? Just curious. Let us know what the vet says and hope it's just an abscess.
    Yes, this.

My 3 year old does just fine barefoot, over rocky terrain, FWIW. Make sure that you keep records of everything, in case it turns out to be more then just a stone bruise. One nice thing about AnimaLintex is that it helps both bruises and abcesses. Can you find a sore spot on the hoof?

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    My 3 year old does just fine barefoot, over rocky terrain, FWIW. Make sure that you keep records of everything, in case it turns out to be more then just a stone bruise. One nice thing about AnimaLintex is that it helps both bruises and abcesses. Can you find a sore spot on the hoof?
    Lots of horses do fine barefoot on rocky terrain, but this sounded like it was the first time. Like any kind of conditioning it should be gradual.

Thanks for all your input. Called the vet. Horse is doing better. With the history, vet said to watch and if gets worse to bring him in...

So you don't have a vet that will do farm calls? Not examined yet? You have to bring him in if he gets worse?

I'm not getting that.

Trainer rides horse on rough terrain without hoof protection - sends lame horse home. - CHECK!

Farrier blows off lame horse for 2 weeks. CHECK!

Vet diagnoses over the phone. CHECK!

HEAD DESK! HEAD DESK! HEAD DESK!

1 members found this post helpful.

Trainer rides horse on rough terrain without hoof protection - sends lame horse home. - CHECK!

Farrier blows off lame horse for 2 weeks. CHECK!

Vet diagnoses over the phone. CHECK!

HEAD DESK! HEAD DESK! HEAD DESK!

Yep, I definitely like you although her horse bills are waaaaaaay lower than mine.

Fire trainer-CHECK
    Fire farrier-CHECK
    Fire vet-CHECK

Does your head feel better now?