The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ticker -- I think we are in agreement. Your link says CCC pays for injuries for which youare legally obligated to pay. You aren't legally obligated to pay for an injury a horse sustains in the normal course. You'd be obligated if something were your fault.

Of course, if you are dealing with valuable horses you wouldn't want to take a chance that someone might sue you, for cause or not.

I board retired horses and I choose not to have CCC insurance. In the very unlikely event that something happens to a horse, it would be unlikelier still that it would be my fault. However, if that happened, I could always choose to just pay the vet bill. I would not be liable for other damages as the retirees have no monetary value.

In the OP's case, since she is not legally obligated to pay the vet bill, the CCC insurance would not kick in.

Entirely too many people on here voicing loud opinions who have little or no long term experience handling multiple horses, or operating a boarding facility.
    Taking it day by day!

9 members found this post helpful.

OK OP, with the added info my opinion is changed. Since you contacted and worked with the owner regarding this injury, plus the horse has been in work for 3years, you are not liable for the vet bills. However it would be a good gesture to compensate the HO in some fashion. What you do is between you and her, a private treaty. Other boarders have NO NEED TO KNOW.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1 members found this post helpful.

For those crucifying the BO for the horse pushing its way into the barn, be glad you don't have one like this. I do...and I'm no slouch in the ground manners department. If she sees a chance, she exploits it. The barn may not have an ideal set up for most, but it works and this seems to be the first episode.

Carry on.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    OK OP, with the added info my opinion is changed. Since you contacted and worked with the owner regarding this injury, plus the horse has been in work for 3years, you are not liable for the vet bills. However it would be a good gesture to compensate the HO in some fashion. What you do is between you and her, a private treaty. Other boarders have NO NEED TO KNOW.
    Agree with this. Especially as this is a long distance owner there wont be any gossip about it as long as you keep quiet which obviously you will lol.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

[QUOTE=stonzthrow;7034842]To address a few issues mentioned:

2. Bacardi - aka Breezy Knoll under which name you were banned and now hiding under a new alias, we all know what a whackjob you are. I'm not even going to consider your comments. Stick to freaking out over your caviar and bitching at FedEx and leave the horse care to people whose barn is cleaner than your house...
    [QUOTE]

You poor poor thing. First off, I have no idea who "Breezy Knoll" is. Have never used that name anywhere. Perhaps you're thinking of "Breezymeadow"? If you're going to trash someone to make yourself feel better, best to get the name right. LOL!!!! Makes you sound sort of angry/guilty regardless, since it has ZERO to do with the subject at hand. Maybe you should think about that. Folks who feel guilty or have something to hide are the first ones to try to drag out stuff re: the folks who don't agree with them. Gee, does anyone besides me see that here? Lol!!

And I'd invite you over to eat off the floor of my house or my barn, but frankly, I'm kind of particular about my guests - lol!!!

And how VERY sad that your only response to my posts is to simply rave about subjects from years ago. How VERY very sad.

Good luck to you, your barn setup, & your poor boarder's horse.
    Last edited by Bacardi1; Jun. 15, 2013 at 09:54 PM.

Oh - one more separate point here.

The OP asked what was bound to be a virulent question on a public board. As such, she should have been prepared for less than "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" answers, & should have been prepared to think them through & not take them personally.

Go figure.

Well, I'll throw my vote in. IMO the OP is NOT responsible for any part of this vet bill. The owner chose to board at this facility knowing full well the set up. The owner has accepted this boarding situation for their horse for 8 years--plenty of time to notice the set up and complain about a safety issue. Is the set up ideal? No, but there are many, many not-so-perfectly set up barns out there.

In this instance, there was no negligence on the part of the OP. The OP did not leave a gate open or fail to respond to or repair something dangerous. Other than redesigning her facility, there was nothing she could have reasonably done to prevent the incident. She responded responsibly after the accident by notifying the horse's owner and following their wishes with regards to care.

The injury to the horse was unrelated to the OP's use of the horse. The OP is using the horse for lessons but has not assumed ownership of it and is not leasing or part leasing it. There is no agreement in place whereby the OP has agreed to cover vet bills.

In sum, this was a freak accident. The owner is responsible for all vet bills. The OP should not feel guilty about this. I will add however, that over the years I have become increasingly cautious about riding other people's horses (or letting others ride mine) for issues such as this. Sometimes people aren't on the same page about who should be responsible for what in the event that something unexpected/bad happens.

4 members found this post helpful.

Cool

by stonzthrow - Bacardi1 aka Breezy Knoll under which name you were banned and now hiding under a new alias, we all know what a whackjob you are. I'm not even going to consider your comments. Stick to freaking out over your caviar and bitching at FedEx and leave the horse care to people whose barn is cleaner than your house...
    by Bacardi1:

You poor poor thing. First off, I have no idea who "Breezy Knoll" is. Have never used that name anywhere. Perhaps you're thinking of "Breezymeadow"? If you're going to trash someone to make yourself feel better, best to get the name right. LOL!!!! Makes you sound sort of angry/guilty regardless, since it has ZERO to do with the subject at hand. Maybe you should think about that. Folks who feel guilty or have something to hide are the first ones to try to drag out stuff re: the folks who don't agree with them. Gee, does anyone besides me see that here? Lol!!

And I'd invite you over to eat off the floor of my house or my barn, but frankly, I'm kind of particular about my guests - lol!!!

And how VERY sad that your only response to my posts is to simply rave about subjects from years ago. How VERY very sad.

Good luck to you, your barn setup, & your poor boarder's horse.
    Sorry, I got my whackjobs confused. And as I've seen pics you've posted of the inside of your house...and I've met you in person, I'll pass! "Breezymeadow" may have been from a few years ago, but you haven't changed a bit. Still off your meds after all these years...

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I also chatted with a lawyer friend and they agree that it would set a bad precedent to pay the vet bills unless I planned on doing it for every horse in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
    Suppose the BO did have gates on the barn aisle.

Would this have stopped a horse from bolting through as a boarder led her horse through? We have all dealt with the "getting one horse out of the pasture" often enough to know it can be a challenge. One that sometimes the horse wins.

I think HO pays the bill,although I can understand that all BO and BM are upset when an accident occurs in their barn.
    While having a gate or another form of barrier across the barn door MIGHT have prevented this accident, I agree that it wouldn't have necessarily prevented it.
    I have a similar arrangement in that one of my pastures is directly outside my barn. We do have a steel chain that we have hooked across the back of the barn door to prevent horses from entering the barn at will, however, nothing is foolproof. The horse still could have squeezed by the other horse while it was led into the barn by another boarder and still fallen down on the aisle. Horse do stupid sh*t all the time.

I've known several people whose horses have managed to impale themselves on a board fence (one had to be put down). My own mare managed to escape out of the front paddock when the pony (pony is a four letter word) popped the gate open, ran down the driveway and into the barn, JUMPED the steel chain across the back of the barn door and ran out the barn.

My point is that horses manage to hurt themselves even in the safest conditions.While it sounds like the current arrangement is an accident waiting to happen, I don't feel that the barn owner is responsible or at fault. If I owned this facility I would immediately try to fix the conditions by installing a gate or other barrier to the barn, but doing so still doesn't guarantee that a horse won't hurt itself in the future.

The insurance premiums required to be able to pay for horses being stupid would put all BOs out of business and then all you people can keep your own stupid horses in your back yards.

4 members found this post helpful.

Prime Time, I think you missed my later comment where I clarify that I do have doors on both ends of the barn and they are in use. We used to have a chain as well so we could leave the doors open, but the ponies kept going under and one horse kept leaning on it and pulling the screw eyes out and breaking through. Now it's doors closed all the time when horses are out.

Oh and my plan is to give the horse owner a board discount for a month or two (if the horse is still out of commission) based on his average monthly earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by stonzthrow View Post
    I also chatted with a lawyer friend and they agree that it would set a bad precedent to pay the vet bills unless I planned on doing it for every horse in the barn.
    As a HO who has boarded at a lot of barns, I agree.
    I really don't think that any "normal" boarding barn can be labeled as 100% safe. What's the saying... 2 horse people, 3 opinions? I'm sure all of us can find at least one practice we consider "unsafe" in every barn.

The only question I would ask of the BO is: What have you changed so that this can't happen again? This time a horse was injured (hopefully not seriously) but next time it could be much worse or it could be a student or border down on the concrete.

I would seriously look at your process and see what you can do to make sure it can't happen again, or at the very least make it near impossible. A second time would be negligence.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    I'm sure all of us can find at least one practice we consider "unsafe" in every barn.
    Ain't it the truth! But I'd go one further and suggest that the practice of even trying to keep horses at all is unsafe. I speak as a woman who, not 20 minutes ago, narrowly escaped being squished into a fence by a horse who spooked -- and I'm not even kidding -- at a cigarette butt!
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    As a HO who has boarded at a lot of barns, I agree.
    I really don't think that any "normal" boarding barn can be labeled as 100% safe. What's the saying... 2 horse people, 3 opinions? I'm sure all of us can find at least one practice we consider "unsafe" in every barn.
    I think the main two unsafe factors in most barns are the horses and the people.

If you want an accident free barn, it will be the empty building, with empty, well mown pastures.

As a horse owner, I don't care what horsey did, they are MY vet bills to pay. By this boarder being there for 8 years, they are familiar with how things are run, and have essentially agreed to your management practices. This was purely an accident, so it is the owner's bill to pay. If you feel bad, I can't imagine the owner would be upset if you offered to help, but I don't think you're obligated, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    As a horse owner, I don't care what horsey did, they are MY vet bills to pay. By this boarder being there for 8 years, they are familiar with how things are run, and have essentially agreed to your management practices. This was purely an accident, so it is the owner's bill to pay. If you feel bad, I can't imagine the owner would be upset if you offered to help, but I don't think you're obligated, either.
    This.