The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen eyes

This morning as I was turning horses out of the barn for the day, I noticed gelding's eyes are swollen, one a little more than the other, that one also had a little discharge. Not swollen shut but definitely obvious. I've never had an eye problem before. My first thought was maybe some allergic reaction to something, but nothing is different (hay, field, etc.), of course I suppose he could have got bitten by something. Otherwise he seems to be fine, everything looked normal in stall and he went to the back of the field to graze like he does every morning.

I will call the vet when they open but does anyone have any thoughts/advice? Does this tend to be something serious? Thanks.

Maybe try a fly mask...this time of year and the flies can irritate a horse's eyes.

Do not hesitate to call your vet if the eye seems painful or swells shut.
    friend of bar*ka

My horse periodically has a swollen eye in the springtime, I think due to pollen and her rubbing it. I usually use a cold compress on it a few times a day (wet towel) and it goes down. I also use saline to wash her eye a bit.

Eyes aren't something to mess with, if the compress doesn't help I'd call the vet.

Could very easily be something environmental, or some kind of irritation that got into the eyes when rolling. My guy will do that on a semi-regular basis and it always freaks me out. My first line now is to flush with saline, then hot compress, and give it a reasonable period of time to improve while keeping a close eye - 12 hours or so.

If the eye is painful (instead of itchy) or if the swelling or discharge gets worse, or if the eye seems cloudly or isn't reacting to light properly - blinking is slow, dilation is slow - call the vet immediately. Eyes are not to be messed with.
    An Eventful Life
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

We took him to the vet and the vet did find an abrasion on one cornea, the eye that was worse. Vet did not feel there were any signs pointing to uveitis so didn't do stain. Banamine for 3 days (vet says he uses that to get eye inflammation down) and antibiotic cream we have to get in his eye 3x a day. That'll be fun. The first application was when he was a little sedated, so I'm guessing it's going to be a bit more difficult later today. And also keeping him in now during the bright sunlight for a few days, and will use flymask. Vet said he'd like to check it again in 7-10 days. My guess is he rubbed his head too much on fence post or stall or something, it was hot a few days ago, not terrible flies around but it's starting to be that uncomfortable time of the year for them.