The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mouth ulcer?

So after having again getting off after a fantastic ride, I noticed a little bit of blood on Bro's bit. This ONLY happens when I ride him in a one piece kimberwick (2 different bits, same mouth piece)! His Myler D ring doesn't cause any issues. Neither of the kimberwicks have any sharp points and I'm not hauling on his mouth in any way, he's not jerking the bit/reins. Floated by an equine dentist in Jan and he's coming back out to take a look. I DID worm with ZG this week, but he's had this issue intermittently before I wormed him.

I opened up his mouth without the bridle on and found a largish (size of a dime) ulcer on the left bottom side of his mouth right before the molars. A very small one, not bleeding, but irritated, was found on the right side, same spot. The bar(gums?) area looks very irritated/swollen around the ulcer spots.

After next week, he'll be getting a 3 week "vacation" while I'm gone so hopefully they will get a chance to fully heal. But I need to prevent this from happening again! And what to do in the interim?

We use salt or mryhh for cuts/ulcers in the mouth. Works great, sometimes a pain in the neck to apply though because it does sting at first!

Ok, number 1. Don't EVER use Zimectrin Gold. 2. Mouths should never bleed in any bit, something is wrong. 3. He gets a 4 week vacation starting now unless you can ride in a hackmore or a halter with lead ropes. Were you able to determine if it was in fact the ulcer that was bleeding? If so then you may be ok once it heals up. If not then you obviously have two problems.

Does it look like this?

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/sim...9a952.jpg.html

Posted a thread about this last year, about the same time. Search is still broken, but I think the consensus was it was related to a plant she ate. It healed up and went away with no issue.

This horse isn't under saddle yet, so we had no interference with a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Sort of. Except it's on the actual bars of his mouth, but perfectly circular from what I could tell. It was pretty "spongy" looking from all the inflammation surrounding it.

I wonder if it's the alloy of those bits that are causing a reaction with his saliva? I've used a few different ones, he goes best in the kimberwick over fences, but if he's bloody afterwards it's not worth it... Like I said haven't had an issue with any of the snaffles I've put him in, but 2 separate kimberwick bits have produced this result.

And ya, no more ZG after this. Friggin' tack shop was out of Equimax with none on order!

I missed that the sore was actually IN the mouth, on the bars. It sure sounds like it was caused by the bit, especially if this has happened before. I'd throw away your kimberwicks and take a good, hard look at your hands. Either the bit is an absolutely terrible fit, or you're not as giving in the hand as you think.

If the Myler D doesn't cause issues, why not just stick with that, and ditch the Kimberwicks?