The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I paint saddle pads, draw animal portraits, make custom clay ornaments of your horse, and design logos. I also photograph weddings and other events. What can I say, I make the most of my fine art degree

Link to my FB page is in my signature.

I sort of have a leather cleaning business so my range of customers would be limited to my area SW B.C. Because I stupidly have no clue on how to promote a business, it is stagnant. That is a shame because the whopping two customers that I have had were thrilled with my work. I don't limit the service to just tack. It can be furniture, leatherware (general leather goods.)

Does anyone have an idea on how to promote a business that is area-limited? I don't do Facebook but I can put it up on LinkedIn if it serves the promoting purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Get ahold of Bensmom here on COTH. She's come out with a line of Saddle Soap & Conditioner that are DA BOMB and I'm sure she'd be glad to offer Etsy, etc. assistance
    Agreed! I have the Fox's Vanilla Lavender soap and it is AMAZING! And I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my conditioner, which from all the accounts I've read is equally awesome. I love supporting small businesses and it's a bonus to also be supporting a COTHer--plus, Libby seems like such a doll. :-) Link to her Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HigherStand...f=pr_faveshops

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm currently in the process of doing up custom spurs/spur straps! I did up a pair for myself, but I want to see how well they will wear before I start selling anything!

Is there still a thread hanging around from Christmas time, from the Secret Santa? Lots of people tried to buy from COTHers for their giftees!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Eventer View Post
    Zipperfoot, Can you make apparel for Fox hunters? Jackets and vests and such?
    I could, with the appropriate patterns. Obviously I wouldn't be able to do fittings in person, but I could tailor the garments to a person's measurements.

Sorry it took awhile to get back to this--I've been on foal watch with one of our mares. Day 344 and no baby yet...[sigh].

Do I count? I make custom model horse tack for younger collectors. Realistic, but not the crazy stuff that looks 100% like the real thing.

I sell through a combination of Facebook, a Website, and a YouTube Channel. I average about 1 order every 2-3 weeks

3 members found this post helpful.

Man this is great!
    Glad to hear that we're not the only ones.

I might actually make enough to pay for some lessons this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    I make blaze orange horsewear for hunting season
    www.protectavest.com

and in my "spare" time make leather bound photo albums and portfolios with horse themes.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Mac-Mountain-Tack-Repair
    I've been looking at your orange items for a while. Once we move I'll have to order some as we are buying property surrounded by prime hunting land. :-)
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Yes! I remember reading a thread about saddle covers a few months back (I believe in the dressage forum) and a COTHer posted a link to her company -- she made really gorgeous custom saddle covers, boot bags, etc. Unfortunately, I can not for the life of me remember the company name, and have had zero luck finding the thread. Maybe someone else will be able to find it?
    I actually started that thread but COTH is being weird and all of my posts from june 2012-April 2013 are not showing up

awesome stuff!!!! how hard is doing stained glass horses? I'm so not artistic! but I love it!

Question... how is your stuff selling?

Stained glass horse suncatchers take about 10 hours each to complete. It is a four step process - 1st you cut and grind the glass to fit the pattern, then each piece has to be wrapped and burnished with copper foil, then the pieces are fit together and soldered. Stained glass is fun, but you need good equipment - a good glass cutter, a good grinder, and a good soldering iron for starters. It is quite an expensive "hobby" - glass runs anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 (wholeseale price) for a 12" x 12"; solder is up to $14.00 /lb. a good grinder is about $250.00, and a decent soldering iron will run you about $75.00. That is why it is also expensive to buy - I get about $100/sq foot for panels, and I work cheaply! Luckily, I can do a lot of it watchng tv, so it makes it go more quickly.
    Have to admit my sales have been down this year, partly due to the economy, I'm sure. Also not helping that we are trying to sell our place and move to Aiken.
    I am taking orders with no problems, but I think some people are leary to place an order at this point, but we are far from selling, and all orders are easily getting done. Thanks for asking!!!!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I am SOOO bookmarking this thread so I am ready for Christmas!

What a talented and creative group of people!

Quote Originally Posted by lifeishorsesarelove View Post
    Do I count? I make custom model horse tack for younger collectors. Realistic, but not the crazy stuff that looks 100% like the real thing.

I sell through a combination of Facebook, a Website, and a YouTube Channel. I average about 1 order every 2-3 weeks
    Post your FB link &/or website so people will be able to find you! Same to anyone else who has posted but doesn't have a link up--we won't have a way to buy anything from ya if we don't know where you are!

I believe I have "like"d everyone who has posted a FB link, but let me know if I've missed anyone.

I would post the website but don't want to get banned.

Maybe I could fly under the radar if I suggest you Google Abraxas Equine

SE, have you noticed that people have their websites in their signatures? For example, on this page, look @ post #21. Having your website in your sig line is perfectly "legal", it will not get you banned. Blatant advertising, spam, etc. is what is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Yes! I remember reading a thread about saddle covers a few months back (I believe in the dressage forum) and a COTHer posted a link to her company -- she made really gorgeous custom saddle covers, boot bags, etc. Unfortunately, I can not for the life of me remember the company name, and have had zero luck finding the thread. Maybe someone else will be able to find it?
    Tracy Michelle Designs (tracymicheledesigns.com/) makes saddle covers, boot bags, really nice show ties and grooming skirts (I particularly like the ones with the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique logo, of course!).

Here's a listing of some of the folks who have posted on this thread, as well as other CoTH artisans, that I put together for Secret Santa shopping last holiday:
    http://www.mightythoroughbredclique...._artisans.html
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: grammar, grammar, grammar and correcting Tracy's link (thanks, axl)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I am a photographer and artist and also design equestrian T-shirts and other gift-y horse stuff along with posters and prints of my photography. My pony also paints and I sold his paintings but we haven't painted in a long time because we had a baby and so my pony has had a break from that but here is my website: http://thepaintingpony.com/pages/gifts/gifts.htm

I'm really enjoying seeing all these cool horse-related items! Thanks, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I actually started that thread but COTH is being weird and all of my posts from june 2012-April 2013 are not showing up
    It isn't just you; there was a glitch in the system during that time and everything got posted to an alternate CoTH site which still exists. I don't recall the site, but it has been posted several times, I think somewhere in the Off Topic forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Tracy Michelle Designs (http://traceymichelledesigns.com/) makes saddle covers, boot bags, really nice show ties and grooming skirts (I particularly like the ones with the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique logo, of course!).
    YES! That is the site I was thinking of. Thanks.