The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Any other entrepreneurs out there making/selling horse items?

Just wondering.

Hoping to touch base with others and swap advice/ideas.
    PM me if interested.

I sew, and awhile back I posted in a couple of sections (H/J and western IIRC) asking if there was any interest in custom-made riding clothes, especially for folks that were hard to fit. Nobody seemed very interested. I don't know what you had in mind, but good luck!

2 members found this post helpful.

I haven't officially "launched" yet, but I'm making beaded/crystal browbands. I'll be doing a giveaway as soon as I get everything locked down, my logo is finished, & my Etsy store is open for business. Hopefully, I'll be able to announce that here on COTH. Feel free to PM me, I'm always interests in swapping ideas. And, while I don't have much on there yet, you can check out my Facebook page -- just search for Topline Leather (sorry, I would give you a link, but I'm on my phone!).

Zipperfoot, Can you make apparel for Fox hunters? Jackets and vests and such?

Frizzle, I can sell your brow bands here.. especially if they're reasonably priced.
    What's etsy.. I'll have to look that up. I have ecommerce business (in a totally different industry) and I use Godaddy's quick shopping cart.

If you want a good cheap easy to use site builder that integrates with Paypal, try Weebly. I did this using their template system: http://www.abraxasequine.com/index.html

We developed a rich, concentrated herbal liniment that's really booming right now. Way more potent than SNM.

Question: I didn't think you could "announce" your small business on COTH. Don't' they see that as advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
    I sew, and awhile back I posted in a couple of sections (H/J and western IIRC) asking if there was any interest in custom-made riding clothes, especially for folks that were hard to fit. Nobody seemed very interested. I don't know what you had in mind, but good luck!
    I'd LOVE a custom coat without having to spend $700+ to get a custom Grand Prix or similar. Or even just someone who could tailor to measurements and KNOWS riding clothes (unlike the local tailor, who wants my coat to fit like a men's suit jacket...)

2 members found this post helpful.

I will, one of these days when things settle down again, be making organic horse treats. They're delicious.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

1 members found this post helpful.

I make wall hangings and quilts out of show ribbons. if I had more time to be able to sit and stitch, I could easily stay busy full time with them. the last one was so big and difficult to manage, it almost put me over the edge, LOL so I'm not actually taking any orders right now.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/101_1814.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...95IMAG0124.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...quilts/006.jpg

8 members found this post helpful.

I make custom stained glass equine items (suncatchers, window panels, nightlights, etc) that I do from photos of people's horses - also do barn signs, logos, etc. Also can do dogs.

www.equiglas.com
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Eventer View Post
    Zipperfoot, Can you make apparel for Fox hunters? Jackets and vests and such?

Frizzle, I can sell your brow bands here.. especially if they're reasonably priced.
    What's etsy.. I'll have to look that up. I have ecommerce business (in a totally different industry) and I use Godaddy's quick shopping cart.

If you want a good cheap easy to use site builder that integrates with Paypal, try Weebly. I did this using their template system: http://www.abraxasequine.com/index.html

We developed a rich, concentrated herbal liniment that's really booming right now. Way more potent than SNM.

Question: I didn't think you could "announce" your small business on COTH. Don't' they see that as advertising?
    SE, I'm planning on selling through Etsy (you should check them out--awesome site!) & FB for now, but I appreciate the offer! I'm going to keep things small-scale at first, especially since I can't "mass produce" them--every single browband is hand-strung, hand-woven, and hand-sewn by me and even an average one takes around 8 hours to complete.

I am very interested in your liniment! I signed up for a free sample and I look forward to trying it.

I appreciate the website advice, too. I don't have a website yet but I know I will need to get one eventually. I am very much technologically inept, lol. So, for now it's just Etsy & FB.

No, I don't think I can necessarily "announce" my business here. But, for example, have you seen the Bensmom saddle soap thread on the eventing forum? I'm hoping for something along those lines, and I would be thrilled with even a fraction of the replies/glowing reviews that she has received. Once I get going, I'll be doing a browband giveaway on my blog, so maybe I can have someone post a link to that.

To everyone else--can you post links to your Etsy stores, FB pages, etc.? Let's start a COTH "We Make Horse-Related Stuff" Clique/thread! Here's my FB page -- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Topli...965397?fref=ts

I make blaze orange horsewear for hunting season
    www.protectavest.com

and in my "spare" time make leather bound photo albums and portfolios with horse themes.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Mac-Mountain-Tack-Repair
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
    I make custom stained glass equine items (suncatchers, window panels, nightlights, etc) that I do from photos of people's horses - also do barn signs, logos, etc. Also can do dogs.

www.equiglas.com

I LOVE your glass creations!
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

You guys are all making me want to buy stuff! Who knew we had such a multi-talented group here?

Frizzle, I just 'liked' your page.

ETA: I tried to start a "small business" thread a week or so ago but got maybe 1 reply. I was really surprised - I thought there would be more people who would want to share the "hidden gems" that they had found.

Thanks, Jo! :-) So, what is your business? Post here! Maybe we can get some momentum rolling.

I make custom saddle pads and horse theme soaps :-)

I have an etsy store, but I get tired of all of the fees. Most people shop with me through my FB page and then I can avoid to fees.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

4 members found this post helpful.

LovelyBay, your soaps look so good I almost want to eat them!

Foaling Around.. I just liked your FB page.

Really nice stuff!

DOES anyone make custom boot and saddle bags? I'm being OCD about the colors I want.....
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by horsey nurse View Post
    DOES anyone make custom boot and saddle bags? I'm being OCD about the colors I want.....
    Yes! I remember reading a thread about saddle covers a few months back (I believe in the dressage forum) and a COTHer posted a link to her company -- she made really gorgeous custom saddle covers, boot bags, etc. Unfortunately, I can not for the life of me remember the company name, and have had zero luck finding the thread. Maybe someone else will be able to find it?

Get ahold of Bensmom here on COTH. She's come out with a line of Saddle Soap & Conditioner that are DA BOMB and I'm sure she'd be glad to offer Etsy, etc. assistance
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.