The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is right !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Seriously - at that point, why wouldn't you just have two rigs - one for the horses, and one for the people? That thing looks enormous, and I could not imagine how cumbersome it would be to tow.

4 members found this post helpful.

Looks like it's a pop-up. Tall, but not like it looks all popped up!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm trying to figure out why you could ever possibly need two kitchens in a horse trailer.

3 members found this post helpful.

they're going to use it as a camper too... i'm thinking: get a horse trailer, and then get an airstream. this combination vehicle--well, "eggs in one basket" comes to mind...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow.

The lower level comprises room for 14 horses, finished in stainless steel, and accommodation for two strappers.

Upstairs, the truck boasts two bedrooms and a lounge-kitchen area...

...The third level, which can be accessed by an attic ladder, comprises a viewing platform, complete with stainless steel fold-up handrails. There are also anchor points for large umbrellas to provide spectators with shade.

In all, the semi-trailer can sleep six.

There are no problems with ablutions – there are two bathrooms – and it even has a second kitchen.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Awesome! Like a horsey toy-hauler! Remember, horse hauling and camping differ greatly around the world. If you read the article, it clearly "pops up" to increase head room, and the top is a viewing area. I'm astounded that it holds 14 horses! Clearly a semi-sized rig.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

must be for 14 small horses... I can't imagine fitting my mare in the space...

Rigs similar (though smaller) to these are the norm here. We call them horse trucks or trucks - but they are not like your trucks!!!! Mine takes 4 large (17 hh+) horses easily, plus has living area with kitchen, gas oven, fridge etc. Storage space to carry enough feed and hay for a week away. I usually need to top up the water tanks if I've got a full load and am away for more than 2 nights. My truck is very, very basic compared to some. Mine is all one unit, with a 12 tonne tare (empty) weight. This unit looks as if its a semi - so the body of the truck attaches to a cab / engine unit. On a station in Australia the unit probably also tows sheep or cattle transporters.

And False Impression - I think that the picture may be mis-leading. There is usually heaps of room for horses. They also travel well in the trucks, usually angled facing slightly back, although this one looks like they might be angle forwards.

A truck I recently looked at had a pop up top like this. Manufacturors found that the pop up top got very hot on sunny days, so they installed a heat transfer system!!

What is "Camp Drafting?"
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I think it's not nearly as scary as it looks.

First, the top half pops up, so when you're actually driving it, it is significantly shorter and not as unbalanced as it looks here. Second, the "third story" is just the roof. It has some extra amenities like pop-up hand rails, but doesn't add any height.

I still think it's a little (lot) over the top, especially if their goal is camping. However, I think the photo makes it look much worse than it is for driving purposes.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Not camping - camp drafting is a sport.
    Now there is a person who knows where to spend his money - on horses.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

interesting...Camp drafting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campdrafting

So, basically, it is like going to the rodeo in the US - except one event over the week of competitions. The important similarity seems to be the money involved at the top levels allows for people to get fancy trailers like the ones above.

At least that's my take on it.

Years ago there were stories of the larger stations in Australia, days away from the cities in the coasts, had extremely large cattle hauling triple deckers, the truck pulling sometimes two or three of those, a whole convoy of those, to move the cattle those immense distances.

They either also took food and water for them, or had designated stops where they had access to them.

Here, in the early 1900's, many cattle from the SW were moved by train cattle cars, that had mangers and water troughs, for several days to the Chicago area.
    Someone went with them as attendants.

It is interesting to see how others do things, is it.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why you could ever possibly need two kitchens in a horse trailer.
    one for your grub and one for the horses...or the grooms..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

That would Not fit under any local overpasses...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Further to phoebetrainer's post, the following links shows a good cross section of what people use to transport their horses in New Zealand. Prices and degrees of flash (or not) vary considerably.

Trucks =
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

Floats (what you call trailers I guess) = http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

Would love to see some examples of how folk in the US and Canada transport their horses.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse with No Name View Post
    Further to phoebetrainer's post, the following links shows a good cross section of what people use to transport their horses in New Zealand. Prices and degrees of flash (or not) vary considerably.

Trucks =
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

Floats (what you call trailers I guess) = http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

Would love to see some examples of how folk in the US and Canada transport their horses.
    I've always wondered why no-one (that I've heard of) in the States uses horse trucks (or lorries/horse boxes as per the UK). I get the impression that everyone over there uses either a bumper pull (normal float) or a goose neck trailer (which are starting to show up here now). Is that right? Can anyone shine light on why there's no horse trucks in the States? Seems like it would be right up the alley of the richer people in the sport .

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    I've always wondered why no-one (that I've heard of) in the States uses horse trucks (or lorries/horse boxes as per the UK)...... Can anyone shine light on why there's no horse trucks in the States? Seems like it would be right up the alley of the richer people in the sport .
    Its because there is sooooo much more money in it - so they go and stay in motels / hotels whatever. Grooms sleep in a spare stable or tack room. And they pay people to plait their horses and ponies too! Oh and someone to "train" and someone to walk the course with the competitor and someone to sign the entry form and someone to tack up the horse and someone else to warm it up.