The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tonto doesn't "fall off". He was thrown.

2 members found this post helpful.

There was a trailer of the making of the film at the Superman movie- definitely did not look like a cushy fall and then they showed a brief shot of his abdomen/chest with at least one hoof print (if not two). Hoof prints are NEVER fun -
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Tonto doesn't "fall off". He was thrown.
    Actually, I thought Depp specifically mentioned that he *decided* to drop, because he couldn't get back on, and didn't think that he could hang on until someone caught up with them. I thought he was pretty fair about not blaming the horse.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    Hoof prints are NEVER fun -
    I can attest to that. Luckily I have misplaced the photographic evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwalker View Post
    Add me to the drama llama crowd. I hate falling. I also have the distinction of falling off a stationary horse; I mounted and kept going right over That knocked the wind right out of me, so I definitely don't feel all 'holier than thou' and diss as minor a fall from a galloping horse.

Thought I was the only one that did that. Ruined a perfectly helmet I did.

I noticed the same thing! I wondered if they all get laid off if he can't work.
    i suspect it would depend on how much of the principal photography had been completed at that point; when brandon lee was killed on the set of the crow they continued with a double and CGI'ed his face in.

I also have the distinction of falling off a stationary horse; I mounted and kept going right over
    i distinctly remember a poll on here surveying the gaits at which ppl have fallen off horses; "halt" and "i've fallen down while standing next to my horse" were two of the choices.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I can attest to that. Luckily I have misplaced the photographic evidence.
    umph...34 years later and I still wear a hoof print on my arm/elbow (nerve damage and all)... from a little Arabian who bucked my ass off and trampled me, no less.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

As a horsey person, I really appreciated depps letterman interview. I think he spoke well to the non horse people about how the incident occurred and howeverybhorses different. He could have been less diplomatic

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, we'll stick with Johnny Depp, no matter what his riding skills. Turns out the tabloids have a lot of information on the dude playing the Lone Ranger, and he has a somewhat kinky past based on his interview in Playboy. We'll stay with Depp, and hope the movie is entertaining. Watching old western movies and tv programs and seeing all the horses has always been fun.

Huh. Maybe they should have had a real Native American riding.
    Johhny Depp..ick. What an idiot. Amazing that in 2013 we still have to have someone who may have had one tenth of one percent or something Cherokee play a Native. Would we watch a movie of Harriet Tubman with Wynona Ryder in black face or something? Or a movie of Rosa Parks starring Meryl Streep?
    Not likely.

Ouch. At least he was smart enough to have his heels down and let go of the reins. I've been dragged before and it ain't pretty.

Any dude who can fall off a horse and look that good is alright in my book

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Johhny Depp..ick. What an idiot. Amazing that in 2013 we still have to have someone who may have had one tenth of one percent or something Cherokee play a Native. Would we watch a movie of Harriet Tubman with Wynona Ryder in black face or something? Or a movie of Rosa Parks starring Meryl Streep?
    Not likely.
    Well, the movie has to get made before we can decide whether or not to watch it. I doubt it would have been made without Johnny Depp (or someone like him) as one of the stars. I think it barely got made even with him involved.

Well, it was pretty demeaning for Jay Silverheels to have to talk like he didn't speak english well. If Depp portrays Tonto as an intelligent, articulate person, abet one who cannot ride so well,, then good for him. Not many of us are cool enough to live "the Navajo Way." We value material things while Indians value spiritual things and being one with nature. We can learn a lot about native americans by watching movies. And debating issues of race and discrimination.

Without Johnny Depp, the movie would probably not have been made. And we don't know any 100% native american who is a super star.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Johhny Depp..ick. What an idiot. Amazing that in 2013 we still have to have someone who may have had one tenth of one percent or something Cherokee play a Native.
    Hey now. Remember when Chuck Connors played Geromino? At least Johnny Depp doesn't have blue eyes.

I've heard an interview with Johnny Depp where he said his mother was Cherokee. Then I've also read he had the apocryphal Cherokee grandmother. So that may be a whole lot of BS.

From the trailers, it looks like they're going to give Tonto a back story like Sand Creek, so at least it will be a big name star letting people know about the kind of things that happened back then. The last movie I remember that covered that was Little Big Man - a whole lot of kids have been born since 1970.

Anyway, I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan, so I'm going to go see it. Horses and Johnny Depp? Not since Sleepy Hollow have I been so excited.

To the OP - wow, you must be one tough cookie. That fall looked bad to me. I thought Johnny Depp did well to laugh it off and keep working. Last time I came off like that, DH was feeding for me for three days.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Anyway, I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan, so I'm going to go see it. Horses and Johnny Depp? Not since Sleepy Hollow have I been so excited.
    Don't forget, Depp bought or adopted his horse from Sleepy Hollow afterwards to make sure it had a happy life, IIRC.

3 members found this post helpful.

Whatever his vague heritage - grandma may have had a drop or something of Cherokee in her, how 'bout making a movie and letting a real Native play Tonto? He could have played LR. Its not like LR is some kind of gift to the Native Americans. And here's an idea - Native Americans THEMSELVES are pretty good at being intelligent, articulate and so forth; they don't need a white guy to do it for them!

I mean, we would probably not do a story on George Washington starring Denzel Washington, right? Nor a story on Che starring Brad Pitt. But...hey, with the Natives, sure! We can just throw a white guy (oh wait- he does have some billionth bit of Native blood) in there, cuz hell, white folk won't notice or care (and they don't!) and who cares about how Native Americans really feel about it? Maybe the reason people don't know about any Native American superstars (but there are Adam Beach, wes studi, eric schweig) is because we keep PUTTING IN WHITE GUYS!!!

Just a sore topic for me - husband Native and hates this, always hate to see the same issues coming up even in 2013...
    Last edited by lilitiger2; Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM.

Has this been posted yet? It includes a cute little video of Silver being trained with Depp and the other guy.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...allion-silver/

"Little Big Man" was a great movie. No one complained about a great Jewish actor playing a Native American. Can't remember if he was a good rider though. He was a great actor in that movie, especially when doing that "contrary" part.

Without getting into an argument about who is part Indian or whatever, who was the Indian or part Indian who played in the movie made from one of Tony Hillerman's novels about the Navajo policemen? We don't think he's as good an actor as Depp, and his movie wasn't very successful, but he's the only Indian actor that comes to mind. If Depp does his job, he will show that the Native Americans are intelligent and resourceful and brave. Whether or not Depp is "part" Native American.

And oh yes, our owner has a friend who is 1/2 indian and 1/2 black, married to a black guy who is actually multi culture black and white. We'll ask her what she thinks of Depp playing Tonto. Hopefully not the old Tonto of olden times.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Has this been posted yet? It includes a cute little video of Silver being trained with Depp and the other guy.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...allion-silver/
    Oh that is so cute! Silver and Depp. Uh well, Silver 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, and Depp.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post

Without getting into an argument about who is part Indian or whatever, who was the Indian or part Indian who played in the movie made from one of Tony Hillerman's novels about the Navajo policemen? We don't think he's as good an actor as Depp, and his movie wasn't very successful, but he's the only Indian actor that comes to mind.
    adam beach?

hmm, imdb says:

http://www.imdb.com/list/2eje60Y5XLk/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique