The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Allergies/Hives and Supplements

Has anyone had any success with supplements helping horses that have seasonal allergies? My horse is getting hives from the bugs. I have heard things like flax can help. Thanks!

Sorry no on the supplements. But my horse was covered in hives earlier this year and my vet gave me Dex... a steroid to use as needed. I used one dose and it helped almost immediately. After that I went on a craze trying to figure out what caused it. Eventually figured out it was a combination of tick bites and the fly spray we were using. I switched him to Farnam equispot, which has worked miracles for him. So the bugs stay away including ticks and no more hives. So maybe this will help keep the bugs away from your horse too?

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Has anyone had any success with supplements helping horses that have seasonal allergies? My horse is getting hives from the bugs. I have heard things like flax can help. Thanks!
    I had good luck with quercetin, garlic and flax, but when the reaction got out of hand, I still used Dex.

I don't know about supplements for allergies, but I've done Vetalog shots that seem to help a lot with a couple different horses.

Thumbs up Email the vet at Curost

I spoke with him (he actually answered my email on a Sunday!) and he gave me 2 products to feed my 2. So far, it is working!!! And they are still out at night which usually can NEVER happen. I have only been using it about a month, but typically by now with our hot days & nights, they are one huge scab.

Things high in Omega 3s can help to a degree (flax, fish oil, etc), but the thing that helps the most is prevention. Easier said than done if flies are the issue, unfortunately.

Sometimes Garlic will keep bugs away. Cheap and easy to get too.

I've had pretty good results using the Smartpak SmartBreathe supplement.

I had used some of the listed ingredients before for myself. The combo of Quercetin/Bromelain is an excellent anti-inflammatory and is a favorite with many people suffering from allergies. It helps a lot with arthritis pain also. Many of the SmartBreathe ingredients are anti-inflamnatories which do actually help with allergic reactions.

Ingredients:
    Active Ingredients per 30 g:
    MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) 5,000 mg
    Citrus Bioflavonoids 4,000 mg
    Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 1,200 mg
    N-Acetyl Cysteine 500 mg
    Quercetin 400 mg
    Grape Seed Extract 300 mg
    Pancreatin 8X 250 mg
    Supplying:
    Amylase 50,000 USP
    Protease 50,000 USP
    Lipase 4,000 USP
    Fenugreek Seed 250 mg
    Curcumin Extract 125 mg
    Bromelain 125 mg
    Super Oxide Dismutase (bovine) 100 mg

chicamuxen

I had a gelding that would get hives from bug bites every spring. We got Azium powder from the vet and it cleared right up. I have heard that Chia seeds are good for prevention, but I have only recently become exposed to their use as a supplement and have not, as of yet, used them for this use.

My chestnut was getting hives, I thought, from bug bites. It turns out it was from the bug SPRAY with oil. Try an oil free spray before you try any drugs. It worked for me!

I have one horse whose registered name should be "Ultra's Prime Allergy" instead "Ultra's Sky Gazer"

Putting him on a grain and soy-free RB helped the part of his allergies (he's an allergy train wreck).

Tri-Hist used to make a nut case out of him for his environmental allergies.

"Allergy Herbal Blend" worked miracles on him and kept the allergies well under control, on a seasonal basis.

^^^past tense because, this year, I know this horse has the beginnings of insulin issues so I started him on Remission in mid-March.

Long about May (I'm slow) it dawned on me that he had not had one iota of an allergy attack. No coughing/sneezing/hacking, no itchy/mattery eyes (he doesn't even itch his head anymore) or white snot dripping out of his nose.

I am not anywhere near smart enough to understand why Remission has put his environmental allergies in check but, it has.

I'm also not saying Remission would work for every horse with allergy issues, I'm just sayin' for some reason it worked on my horse and thought I'd pass it along

His A.D.D. disposition has disappeared for the most part. Even the vet asked what was wrong with him, when he did physicals last week He couldn't believe the Remission made that much difference in this horse's personality AND his allergies

I feed him the maximum dose of one ounce, daily; I'll cut that in half when November gets here, or maybe I'll cut it out completely until the next Spring.

I have my guys on Smartpak Omega and the TLC anti-inflammatory. My older TB gets hives and so far he is hive free. We have had several other horses with hives at the barn.

I am crossing my fingers since his hives were getting worse every year. The dex and azium gives him very running poops so I only want to give him drugs as a last resort.

Only an anecdote but my TB who had hives never had them again after putting him on omegahorseshine

Bye Bye Itch from Hilton Herbs, as well as their Coal Tar, Neem and Tea Tree shampoo. Here is my testimonial:
    http://calypsofarmeventers.blogspot....d-miracle.html
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    I spoke with him (he actually answered my email on a Sunday!) and he gave me 2 products to feed my 2. So far, it is working!!! And they are still out at night which usually can NEVER happen. I have only been using it about a month, but typically by now with our hot days & nights, they are one huge scab.
    What 2 products did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ByTheBook View Post
    I had a gelding that would get hives from bug bites every spring. We got Azium powder from the vet and it cleared right up. I have heard that Chia seeds are good for prevention, but I have only recently become exposed to their use as a supplement and have not, as of yet, used them for this use.
    Azium is dexamethazone, which is a DRUG. Just to be clear that this is not something people should be looking into or giving daily. Dex helps in relieving hives, but you still need to find out why the horse is getting them and try to avoid them.

Thanks everyone! My horse is not that bad that I would put him on Dex or anything. I think I will start with some flax seed and maybe try him on SmartBreathe, which my other horse has gotten in the past.

How much flax do you add?