The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Omega Horseshine or Nu Image?

Looking for people who use either/both and can share their opinions on which one can really bring out the uber shiny coat.

This is horse in question on neither supplement:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...6d5e04d82d59a7
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

omega horse shine

I started using Omega Horseshine about 2-3 months ago. My boy's coat is now uber slick and shiny and the flaky skin issues he had have completely resolved. I haven't used the other product, but have been very happy with the results I have seen on the OH.

Ground Flax - a 50lb bag lasts forever, and it works great.

2 members found this post helpful.

Love omega horseshine. Good stuff. Only product I've seen that compares is cocosoya oil, but that can be messy.

Omega horse shine.

I've had my OTTB on Omega Horseshine for almost 3 years now. He has a really nice coat, and it doesn't get dry or flaky ever. Love the stuff.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I will say SmartOmega 3. Works better than Omega Horseshine. I've not used Nu Image.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

One more product to consider is Nutra-flax by Horse Tech. I used Omega Horseshine
    with good results but was surprised by how much deeper and richer the shine was after the switch to Nutra-flax. You can order directly from Horse Tech and they ship free.

I just feed whole flax seeds, about one cup per day. Easy peasy, horses like it and they are glowing.

Quote Originally Posted by besthorsever View Post
    One more product to consider is Nutra-flax by Horse Tech. I used Omega Horseshine
    with good results but was surprised by how much deeper and richer the shine was after the switch to Nutra-flax. You can order directly from Horse Tech and they ship free.
    This is my vote as well. I have used Nutra-Flax for over a decade with great results. When I moved Louie to the new boarding stable last year many folks asked me what I was feeding him since his is so shiney.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

I use omega horseshine- it took about 4 months to fully work, but my cushings mare is 90% shed out and sleek all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    I just feed whole flax seeds, about one cup per day. Easy peasy, horses like it and they are glowing.
    This is EXACTLY what I do and have super shiny coats with no skin issues (mare with recurring scratches hasn't had one instance since being on whole flax seeds, 1 cup daily)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Those feeding whole flax seeds, where do you buy them? And do they have a shelf life once the bag is opened?

Triple Crown Omega Max - not the cheapest out there but extremely easy to use - just measure out what you need and that's it (and it has a 2-year shelf life). Took literally only a few days to see a difference .

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/suppl...s-horse-health
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb722 View Post
    Those feeding whole flax seeds, where do you buy them? And do they have a shelf life once the bag is opened?
    I buy the flax seed from a local organic flour mill. Most feed stores would also carry it. Mine comes in 25 pound bags for about $20. I don't take any unusual precautions with it, just the basics of keeping it in a cool dry place (i.e. don't store it in the car, keep it out of direct sunlight). If they go bad you will be able to tell - they will stick together and smell like old oils/french fries. I've never had this happen to me and they're just stored in the feed room at the barn along with everything else.

1 members found this post helpful.

I buy my whole flax seeds right at my local grain provider, where I buy Triple Crown. It's a 50 lb bag, costs $32.00.

I don't take any unusual precautions with it, just the basics of keeping it in a cool dry place (i.e. don't store it in the car, keep it out of direct sunlight). If they go bad you will be able to tell - they will stick together and smell like old oils/french fries. I've never had this happen to me and they're just stored in the feed room at the barn along with everything else.
    Same here.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I've used both OHS and NI - my horse has been on NI for oh 9 years or so now. She gets one scoop twice a day. The thing I like most about the NI is that it's a wet crumble as opposed to the OHS, which is really just a powder. My mare won't eat powder, so NI it is. I can say, her coat is super shiny, mane and tail in great condition, and is cheap.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I buy my Flax already ground - I think it was $34 for a 50 Lb. bag. I DO keep it in a dead chest freezer to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

I have used Nu Image and had great results.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation