The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OVAL helmets

I need one. I have a CO J3, which is okay (still rocks side to side a bit but my forehead isn't squashed) but still not oval enough. I used to ride in the Lexington low profile velvet, which was great. I don't have any stores nearby where I can try some on. Any suggestions?

Oh, I also have problems with the fan-dancy harnesses that are padded at the back. I guess my head is more straight up and down in the back?

And where is the world did removable/washable sweat pads go?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

IRH makes helmets in a long oval - I have the Elite Ultra or Extreme - whichever is the leather covered one - it is as low a profile as my GPA speed Air (at half the price) and probably a lower profile/less bubble than my old CO GR8, which is pretty shocking considering the old IRH was the king of bubbly bubble headedness.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Try the CO 4 star. I have long, very oval head. The 4 star is the best fit in any helmet I've had so far. However the sizing is one where I would make sure to try on first as I was in a 73/8 J3 and went to a 7 in the 4 star... The IRH speed air knock off also fit pretty well (had to borrow a friends) and I have a samshield that I was able to get narrow enough in way of padding. The samshield padding does come out for washing.

I have an IRH and its about the only thing that fits my oddly shaped head
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I have an oval (and big! lol) head. The best helmet fit i've found in my budget is the Charles Own JR8. I got mine for $150 at Dover, and that really was the top of my price range. Best money I could've spent though. My previous IRH fell over my eyes constantly and just generally rocked all over the place when I did more than a walk.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an oval head that is also somewhat flat in the back. I have ridden hunters and jumpers my whole life so I can't offer but so much input in eventing (seeing as I have had 1 lesson with an eventing trainer so far). I LOVE my ovation. I'm not sure if it is okay for eventing but it fits well and has the dial system so I can wear it with m hair pulled up or down.
    "As you get older, the hardest thing about riding is the ground"- anonymous

IRH in a long oval, and I've also heard the OneK helmets are very oval.

(Also a member of the egg-head crew)

Another with an oval head wearing an IRH Elite in Long Oval. The CO 4Star fits my head if you're looking for a skull. And, strangely, the Tipperary Sportage also fits and is my every day helmet these days.

Oval here too wearing the IRH Elite>

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    Another with an oval head wearing an IRH Elite in Long Oval. The CO 4Star fits my head if you're looking for a skull. And, strangely, the Tipperary Sportage also fits and is my every day helmet these days.
    LOVE the Sportage. Easily my every day helmet; ventilation is a godsend in this horrible heat. I too have an oval head and have been shopping for a "fancier" helmet to show in.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    LOVE the Sportage. Easily my every day helmet; ventilation is a godsend in this horrible heat. I too have an oval head and have been shopping for a "fancier" helmet to show in.
    The IRH Elite comes in a suede covering that looks pretty snazzy. And goes awesome if you have a suede collar on your show coat like I do (pictures). I splurged during last years Helmet Awareness Day and got it in navy (this year's helmet awareness day is next saturday.) I also have it in the black without the suede for when I'm wearing something else. And yes, if you've been keeping score I have 4 helmets. I decided for something as important as protecting my head I could have many.

Ditto to what everyone said about the IRH. If you want something inexpensive but just as good for schooling, the IRH Air-Lite runs around $60 and is way less bubbly headed than it could be. Still not great, but for everyday schooling $60 is the way to go, imho.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone! Now to start looking...

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

my only suggestion would be to work with someplace good on shipping. When I bought mine I went through several similar IRHs in the store (no LOs in brown leather) to check sizes, then based on how th enot LO fit, we ordered a 6 7/8 (since that was what my old IRH LO was). It came, I tried it on... HUGE! The tack store ordered the next size down and that worked, although it needs to compress a bit to really fit well.

Helmets have turned into the new jackets, they are just making up sizes as they go. After years, decades, of reliably being a 6 7/8 all of a sudden I'm one size up in a GPA and one size down in an IRH and who knows what in today's CO (not that I intend to find out, I think 5 helmets is excessive and I'm not to proud to admit I appear to have a problem! )
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

OneK Defender helmets are definitely not oval. I have a bowling ball for a head and the OneK is the only helmet that fits me perfectly without creative padding. Btw, a close runnerup is tge J3, so I'm not surprised that it doesn't fit you, OP.

Anything Charles Owen (with the exception of the J3) fits oval heads well. My husband has a long oval head and the Ovation helmets fit him well. HTH!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    my only suggestion would be to work with someplace good on shipping. When I bought mine I went through several similar IRHs in the store (no LOs in brown leather) to check sizes, then based on how th enot LO fit, we ordered a 6 7/8 (since that was what my old IRH LO was). It came, I tried it on... HUGE! The tack store ordered the next size down and that worked, although it needs to compress a bit to really fit well.

Helmets have turned into the new jackets, they are just making up sizes as they go. After years, decades, of reliably being a 6 7/8 all of a sudden I'm one size up in a GPA and one size down in an IRH and who knows what in today's CO (not that I intend to find out, I think 5 helmets is excessive and I'm not to proud to admit I appear to have a problem! )
    Yipe@ I have an IRH Elite 6 7/8 that I need to replace today because it has a manufacturing date of February 2008. And I won't have much time at home to mail things back and forth. So what size now fits you?
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

CO J3 helmet is quite round. Try the AYR8 or the Pro II, both are much more oval (I have the same issue!).

Quote Originally Posted by Equisis View Post
    CO J3 helmet is quite round. Try the AYR8 or the Pro II, both are much more oval (I have the same issue!).
    Does the Pro II fit like the Pro? Because the CO people told me the pro was round and the J3 was more oval. Actually, oval in the front fitting more round in the back was the quote, whatever that means. I know the JR8 is too round, and the GR8 is as well. I tried on someone's ultralite jockey and it fit pretty well except the back cam down really far on my head and hit me in the neck if I looked up. I wish I had a place to try on some of the newer brands on the market. We seem to be getting more European manufacturers testing their helmet to ASTM standards. But with many brands I can't justify spending hundreds that I don't have when the helmets all meet the same standards. I really get peeved when people tell me that X helmet is "safer" than Y helmet, usually because they think the higher cost makes it better. Until I see well designed comparative studies, puh-lease.

The Pro II is fairly similiar to the AYR8, and fits differently than the Pro (at least on my head).