The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Michael Corcoran saddles? Any experience?

I hated to start another saddle thread, but I do need a bit of advice. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Michael Corcoran saddles? A friend has one, and has raved about it...but I'm uncertain. I don't know anything about this saddle maker, and his website doesn't give much information.

I heard he is coming to the area soon to do some saddle fittings, and I would like to get as much information as possible before I attend.

Thanks a bunch.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I used Mike as a saddle fitter before/just as he launched his own line. I haven't ever ridden in one of his saddles so I can't speak to that directly. As a saddle fitter, he was more than competent.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks nhwr.

I am starting to look for a new saddle (again), and I'm trying to decide what direction to go this time. I have heard good things about his saddles, but I don't know many who have one and I'm not finding much about them online.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

One of my friends had one - it was a nice saddle. He came out to try to fit one of her client's (hard to fit) horses - he knows what he's doing. I haven't personally ridden in his saddles, but the ones I've seen were well made.

1 members found this post helpful.

A good friend has two of them. They are very well-made. I rode in one of hers while Mike had my mare's Black Country out for re-stuffing. Mare and I found it very comfortable, but my trainer didn't like where it put my leg. It had more padding on the thigh than the BC Vinici I usually ride in.

However, it was made for a different horse and rider combo, might not have been a problem if it was built from scratch for me.

Mike is the saddle fitter at our barn & has been for years. I have a MC saddle that I got with my horse & it is great. I haven't worked with him (yet, but saddle needs to be reflocked & my horse has lost weight, so we are due), but when he comes into town ppl drive from all over.

The chiro that treats horses at our barn commented that they all had better backs than any other place she has been, so she switched fitters & now uses Mike & recs him to her clients.

They are wonderful saddles and Mike is a fantastic saddle fitter. And on another note, he was kind enough to use his thermographic camera on my horse and help me discover what was ultimately wrong with her...after vets for YEARS told me I was crazy and I was imagining things.

fwiw, the saddles he sells is also sold as "Masters".

I have always found Mike to be honest and a very knowledgable saddle fitter.

Wow! Thank you all for your comments.

I talked to a few people at the show about him and his work...nothing but compliments. I found out that a friend purchased her western dressage saddle from him and just loves it.

I am definitely going to attend his saddle fitting session when he comes out. I think I will have him take a look at my current saddle and see what his saddles cost. A friend is going to let me try hers out too.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Mike is a close friend--I ride with him and his wife, Shasta. He's in the process of re-doing his website, but he is very knowledgable and kind. You will love him. The saddles are super quality and well worth it. I've been riding in one of his western dressage prototypes and it is amazing. Puts you in the sweet spot and makes your job as the rider so much easier. His dressage saddles are that way too. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. I meet with Mike this afternoon. I am looking forward to seeing what he has available, and what he suggests. I rode in a Custom saddle on Tuesday, and it made a huge difference...so the hunt for a new saddle is now definitely on.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Update!!

I met with Mike on Friday and he was absolutely wonderful!!!! Gorgeous saddles and a fantastic eye for fitting the rider and the horse. He happened to have a very lovely consignment saddle that is a perfect fit for both myself and both of my horses, so I feel like I have just won the lottery, lol!!! I test rode 4 or 5 different saddles, all that were just fantastic.

I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a good saddle. His new saddles are pretty $$, but definitely worth it! He has put a lot of time into developing them, and they are fantastically made. I know I'm going to have this saddle for years to come.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

That's great to hear! What area of the country is he in?

Am I correct that he once designed saddles for Black Country? I have one of his from about 16 yrs ago and it's a fantastic saddle. Everyone who sits in it loves it. I've since bought another from Black Country which is okay but not nearly the same quality (or design, despite their assurances beforehand).

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    That's great to hear! What area of the country is he in?
    I'm sure he travels, but he's based out of the Dallas area.

Mike goes on tour. He comes to our barn in MN every year. He will be her in mid July.

He's based out of Dallas. I'm in OK. But, he does travel. I'm glad to hear that he's headed up North to MN.

I'm not sure about his experience with Black Country. Once I officially "met" him on Friday, I remember him working with Horse of Course a few years back. He's been in our area for quite some time.

He rides Dressage as well, and he has made some Western Dressage saddles in the area too...and I have heard nothing but great things about those saddles as well.

He did fittings at 3 different barns this trip, and had to turn away business. He will be back up our way the beginning of July and then back again in the Fall.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

There are currently a couple of his saddles listed on Ebay for a pretty good price. Since he had a used saddle available, that is what I went with, but would not have hesitated to have purchased one of the ones on Ebay.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle