The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    If you have a pressure washer, they usually help quite a bit.
    Just take care not to spray yourself - I learned just how quickly water shot into a bucket can return back at you.

I have a hunch that these hard water stains are yet another item that coca-cola will dissolve. Just kidding, kinda. I'd still use vinegar.

David

I just always scrub with a vinegar and baking soda paste with some sort of brush on a stick. I generally find the brush on a stick in the auto care type aisles.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Thanks all, some really good ideas to try. Esp like the power washer idea, but have visions of shooting buckets across the paddocks.
    Ha, ours isn't that powerful. I use it for everything; even did my turnout blankets this year and they came out great!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I kind of cheat and use The Works, which is a bathroom hard water and scale remover. It's hydrogen chloride 20%. Yes, it's a corrosive and you need to wear gloves but the SECOND you squeeze a little bit into the bucket and swish it around, the rust, scale, and stains instantly dissolve. So then I rinse and rinse and rinse and wipe and rinse some more to make sure it's all gone from the buckets, but those things are clean as new. Brand new.

I have insulated buckets with a white 5 gallon bucket inserted in the bucket holder. I had the same problem with hard water and rust stains until I started to use Iron Out and bleach.

I first put the powdered Iron Out in the bucket, add a little water and then add maybe a 1/2 cup or so of bleach BUT STAND UPWIND as it produces a rather noxious gas. Let it stand about 15 minutes, use a long handled brush to swipe around and the buckets come out as white as the day I bought them. I also give them a good rinse and let them air out before using them for the horses. I've been on the farm 23 yrs and some of the buckets are that old and still come out white.
    Last edited by msj; Jun. 16, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Changed typo of 115 minutes to 15 minutes...
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Where do you get white water buckets? I have never seen such a thing.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Where do you get white water buckets? I have never seen such a thing.
    Have you never seen a white 5 gallon bucket? I get my insulated buckets from County Manufacturing.

http://www.countrymfg.com/thermo_bucket.htm

See white bucket inserted into black metal frame that has Styrofoam inserts to keep water from freezing. Works like a charm.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Oh, you mean pickle buckets! Of course. For some reason I was envisioning those flat-backed Fortex water buckets that I've only ever seen in blue or red or whatnot. If those things came in white it would be awesome.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

You can get white Fortex buckets, but I think only in the small size.
    Quarry Rat