The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freedom Feeder vs Cinch Chix Free-Up feeder

The new boarding stable is working out well so far.

Unfortunately, the only open paddock for night turnout has barely any grass. It's essentially a dry lot.

I bought 2 Freedom Feeder Extended Day nets (http://freedomfeeder.com/store/produ...ed-day-hay-net), anticipating having one in use in her stall, and one extra full one that the barn staff could hang when the other is empty. But since there's no grass, we've been using one inside and one outside, which means there's no extra full net, and I have to refill both every time I go out (every other day usually). These nets seem to last about a day and a half, and they're working just like I wanted. She eats about the same as before, but spread out all day instead of hoovering it up and standing around.

I need to have a back up net, because I missed 2 days in a row recently, and got there to the one in her stall almost empty, and the other one completely empty. I know it's a pain for the barn staff to have to refill them too!

Does anyone have experience with both? There are other horses (4, I believe) in that paddock on day turnout, and their owner throws loose flakes when he turns them out in the morning, so I don't want to leave a net (like the Free-Up feeder) out there all day where they might tear it up.

I'm not sure how much the Free-Up feeder (http://www.cinchchix.com/online-catalog.html, half way down) holds compared to the extended day net. I emailed the Cinch Chix company to ask their opinion.

Right now I'm thinking a Free-Up feeder mounted in her stall would be easy for the barn staff to put hay into whenever it's empty, and then I can keep the two Freedom Feeder nets I already have for turnout.

By the way, I am VERY pleased with the Freedom Feeder nets so far, if anyone else is looking at them!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I have the Free Up Feeder as well as their small bale nets. The free up feeder holds at most 3 flakes of hay (from a small, 45 lb. bale). They are incredibly easy to use; it really would be no trouble for the barn staff to put a couple of flakes in.

(The small bale nets I have take about five minutes to open up, get the new bale in and close -- vs. the Free Up Feeder which takes about 20 seconds).

Cool. That's what I'm leaning towards. I didn't want them to have to constantly be refilling it if it only held one flake. I guess they could do it once in the AM when she comes in (or night before when she goes out) and once later at lunch if she needs it.

What size netting do you have? I'm torn between the SF and SFX.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    What size netting do you have? I'm torn between the SF and SFX.
    I can't remember the size; probably the largest size hole they have b/c I have some very old horses here and I'm not trying to slow anyone down, just want to have hay in front of them at all times without any waste.

Okay. I was just curious.

we use the chix feeders with the bar the goes in a rectangle
    it will hold one large 2x3 flake or 3 or 4 flakes of a normal size bale

we find them easy to fill we just rest the lip on the edge of our hay cart and fill and then clip shut

Perfect! I think I'll order one this week.

I've just started using the Nibble Net hay bag in my horse's stall to make his two flakes last for most of the day. Success! I love it.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I've seen those, but I'm looking for one like the Cinch Chix one with the metal frame that stays mounted in the stall to make it easier for the barn staff. Also I'm not sure those holes are small enough.