The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

My tb/westphalian mare frequently gets mistaken for ottb, she can be hot and will put on quite a show being led in/out and is REALLY convincing! It was really bad when I first got her and she was underweight by a lot. We boarded at a place that was filled with racing trainers and they all asked me how long she'd been off the track for :/ I now joke that she channels her mother lol
    The other thing I've had people mistake her for is Appy!! And it's happened more than a couple times by horse people! I'm assuming it's because she's flea bitten, but seriously? Appy? She has the thickest tail...go figure!
    Stealing her pictures from another thread because it's easier lol
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...ps95e347ed.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...pse1cc62dd.jpg
    If you think I am high maintenance, you should meet my horse!

I have a blue roan (as mentioned prior in this thread) and I have people ask me all the time if he's the same horse I've always had because each season he seems to be a different color: black in the winter (you can only see the silver hairs if you fold back his coat to see underneath), then a white frosty gray in the spring, summer he is a steel gray, and then going into winter he is black again.

"Is that the same horse you had last year?"

Me: "Yes"

"Are you sure?"

Uh...yes...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an Icelandic horse (in the US, where they are NOT common). I've been asked if my pinto was a Shetland pony ;( (he's over 14 hands). But I also have a palomino, with huge leg feathers, and someone asked if he was some sort of dwarf, palomino Friesian... I know...

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a sorrel, sabino/overo Paint. The sabino gene gives him lots of spots and speckles and many people think he's a Appy. I suspect that the same gene may give both breeds some of their spots. However, he has the overo "frame" down his topline, chest and backend. Also a lot of blonde highlights in the mane and tail. Hidalgo looks a lot like him, but my guy is much more handsome....

I had a QH that I evented (the only QH I've ever owned), and I had 2 different dressage judges ask me if he was a Trakehner.

Had a Trakehner yearling in the cross ties at a boarding barn and the BO's husband ask me if he had ever raced. Not really sure if he actually thought he was an older TB, or if he just thought all horses raced

The TB I have now is pretty "stout", and while no one has ever asked is he a "such and such", I just get "what is he?"
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

People often look confused and ask me the breed of my horse--QH, some kind of warmblood? Hey, he's a Kentucky-bred TB!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

My non-horsey brother comes over to see my 14.2, rat-tailed, mohawked, spotted appaloosa mare. "Hey, nice Clydesdale!" he says.

"Huh? Clydesdale? Why do you say that?" I ask.

"Well, because he's stocky."

In all fairness, my mare was overweight at the time.

I've had people ask me if my horse is a Gypsy Vanner (Spotted Draft: PercheronXPaint) and I've always laughed and said he doesn't have enough hair.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Okay, this isn't a breed mistake issue, but it's pretty dang funny so I wanted to share anyway.

Our 36" mini gets a winter coat like a mammoth. As we live in SoCal (where winter is decidedly not mammoth-appropriate), sometimes I'll do a trace clip on her so the hottest parts of her body aren't covered in 6" of hair. I can't find a pic of her in that clip, but it's like this one. Considering how shaggy she gets, the difference in the clipped and unclipped areas is ridiculous.

I had someone ask me if her hair grows that way. Wonder if it was the same person who asked my hubby--who decided to dye his hair blue one summer--if it was natural.

BTW, here she is the other day in her summer coat. Quite the difference, eh?
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

My 15.1 OTTB is built like a little tank and everyone insists that he's a QH. Have to show them his tatoo and his JC papers to prove he's not.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pacificprima View Post
    The other thing I've had people mistake her for is Appy!! And it's happened more than a couple times by horse people! I'm assuming it's because she's flea bitten, but seriously? Appy? She has the thickest tail...go figure!
    Stealing her pictures from another thread because it's easier lol
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...ps95e347ed.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...pse1cc62dd.jpg

Not all Appies - even Foundation bred ones - have rat tails. They don't have to be "Quarterloosas" to get a good tail. It depends on the bloodline. I had a Toby-line App and he, his sire and his grandsire all had full, long tails. The great grandsire had a short tail, but it was thick.

I've had non-horse people think a dappled grey was an Appy, but they've never mistaken my friend's flea-bitten grey Trakhener for an App, and he has a LOT of "flea bites." I did have a cowboy come up to me on a trail ride when I was riding that horse and opine that he was "the biggest darn half-Arab I've ever seen." I told him 1/16 Arab was more like it: He did have Inschallah in his pedigree.

Now, I have more fun at dressage shows with people trying to guess WHAT the non-Appy part of my horse's pedigree is. He's a big mover with good suspension in his gaits. He's 16.2. He's chestnut with a blaze, snowflake blanket, hind socks, and some roaning. Mostly they guess TB, Hanoverian, Trakhener, etc. When they say "Trakhener," I tell them "close:" He's half Arabian, sired by a Trakhener-approved stallion (Aul Magic). I guess his size pretty much throws them off, but he is (relatively) base narrow from his Arabian sire, though he'd need size 3 shoes were he shod, so he's far from fragile looking. While he doesn't have a noticeable dish, he does have what a slight bulge over the nostrils as I've seen in some Arabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I had a QH that I evented (the only QH I've ever owned), and I had 2 different dressage judges ask me if he was a Trakehner.

Had a Trakehner yearling in the cross ties at a boarding barn and the BO's husband ask me if he had ever raced. Not really sure if he actually thought he was an older TB, or if he just thought all horses raced

The TB I have now is pretty "stout", and while no one has ever asked is he a "such and such", I just get "what is he?"
    Many, many, many years ago, before bloodtyping and DNA testing, a local TB breeder introduced some Trakhener into his horse's bloodlines and faked the papers. He thought the horses would have more stamina for the longer races. A stud groom ratted him out.

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    I have a sorrel, sabino/overo Paint. The sabino gene gives him lots of spots and speckles and many people think he's a Appy. I suspect that the same gene may give both breeds some of their spots.
    Some Appys might have Sabino, but generally their spots are from the Leopard complex gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    I had someone ask me if her hair grows that way.
    The same pony I linked above was trace-clipped. A couple of non-horsey people out on the trails complimented me on how pretty his 2-tone pattern was, and asked if his parents had the same markings. I explained that shaving them makes the hair look lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    What a GOOD doggie, Whisper! Poor guy!
    Yeah, I couldn't have blamed him if he'd bitten, but I'm really glad he didn't! He was always aloof with adult strangers, but adored kids.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

I had someone insist that my Lipizzan, who most definitely looks like a Lipizzan, was a mustang.

yep my horse which is a draft cross of some sort (perhaps percheron/tb?) he is always getting mistaken for some type of warmblood or an irish sport horse or irish draft, which I take as a compliment. When asked what his breeding is we always say what would you like him to be...its fun to hear everyone's opinion. His picture is on the bottom..that was 3 years ago, he is now going advanced.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh he is lovely!

My TB mare in her younger days was dark grey with white spots that are inherited from The Tetrach. People often said, "Oh, I love your Appaloosa."
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My Azteca just gets lots of attention and questions - he's buckskin tricolor pinto who was cut late, so huge neck which is flattered by his mohawk. He's like a celebrity with all the gawkers! My OTTB mare gets Appendix or some WB cross, mainly due to the myth that TBs must be psycho, and she's a saint. To whoever had the Andalusian-looking Standardbred, I now live in STB country, and that breed is all over. I saw one I swore was a PRE, and there are little scrawny ones all the way to "what WB is that?".

My gelding is a Lippit Morgan...Sometimes though I see a Mustang. I haven't taken him anywhere yet, so no one has really seen him in person. So no mistaking him for anything....yet.
    Chambermaid to....
    The Black Pearl (Lilly)
    Queen Anne's Revenge (Khione)
    My other hobby http://darkwingimages.instaproofs.com/store/

I've had people think my Thoroughbred is a QH, and my Quarter Horse is a Morgan
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night