The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post

With my current TB I was asked if she was full TB or Appendix QH at a trail ride last weekend. People were very surprised she was only 18 months off the track, though I was trail riding her last summer as well.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...l/DSCN0123.jpg

and decked out western:

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps80ddb891.jpg

Christa
    I think the confusion is not that your TB looks like a QH, but that some of the Appendixes are so heavy on the TB characteristics that people start to just assume that if it looks like a TB and has a pretty, refined head it may be an AppendixQH! She's very pretty.

My Oldenburg filly was mistaken for a Canadian horse this winter... Okay with the dark winter coat and all those hairs (she has double mane and curly tail) Still funny!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...05341101_n.jpg

But I don't think the same thing would happen in summer...
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...63457330_n.jpg
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Hm, interesting. Mine has similar breeding, with a little bit of older show horse lines (e.g. her paternal grand-dam was a well-know Park Harness horse, and a double granddaughter of Kingston).

Here is a conformation shot from the fall.

Under saddle at a show, and unbraided She was having a "day" and I could not get her to stand still!)
    She's pretty! I don't have anything closer to a confo shot of my Morgan, but her overall shape is close enough to yours that in a lineup you'd pick them out as similar in breeding. Mine has a weaker hind end and a lower-set tail though, and a less refined head. Once she's back in work (well, once I'm back in work -- I'm the injured one) I'll have to take confo pictures -- right now she's as likely to be mistaken for a piggy as for another breed of horse.

Yesterday, my farrier asked if my Haflinger was half Belgian. To be fair, he's 15.1hh and 1150 pounds of muscle and thick bone on feet the size of dinner plates. Don't really know how he got so big...

My purebred Arab causes people to scratch their head and ask if he's purebred because he's an honest to gosh 15.3, nearly 16.0. No mistaking he's got Arab blood, but people usually think he's a 1/2 Arab or a Shagya. Nope, just a big lanky Arab that probably got his size from his Russian ancestors.

ETA: I've given up trying to guess specific warmbloods. I'm usually pretty good at breed ID, but trying to tell a Hanoverian from a KWPN - well, more than I can figure. So I just ask straight up or look for a brand!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monty confo shot 081510 cropped.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	38338  
    Last edited by oldernewbie; Jun. 17, 2013 at 07:47 AM.

oldernewbie, that's a nice looking horse! I can see, with the height, how some people might wonder whether he's purebred. Same thing is true for Morgans.

I kind of wonder if there is even any point to guessing the different WB breeds. There's so much cross-registration. (Obviously Trakehners are their own breed -- and are stereotypically lighter and hotter than other WBs -- but I'm not sure if any of the other registries are closed-book.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowmaple View Post
    I think the confusion is not that your TB looks like a QH, but that some of the Appendixes are so heavy on the TB characteristics that people start to just assume that if it looks like a TB and has a pretty, refined head it may be an AppendixQH! She's very pretty.
    I had no complaints about it and can see why they might have thought that, especially on a very large organized ride where TBs are uncommon. I will say my girl did a good job showing how nice a TB can be for that activity .

As for the Chesnut mare being confused for a QH, that one we laughed about. She was truly a classic TB.

Christa

1 members found this post helpful.

Barn owner's daughter, watching my trainer ride Sam up to a new jump, at which he promptly tries to go sideways/backwards: "Is Sam a TB?"
    Me: "Nope, quarter horse."
    BO's daughter, clearly shocked: "Really? Quarter horses are normally so..."
    ::Cue Sam leaping into air above jump like antelope::
    BO's daughter: "Are you sure there's not some Arab or something?"
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Default Thoroughbred mistaken for a warmblood

I had a dressage clinic at my farm and I rode my OTTB in it. One of the gals that was auditing asked what was the warmblood breed of my horse. I said he was a thoroughbred and she said, "No he couldn't be, he's built much to big-bodied for a TB". I tried to explain that I had his papers to prove it and she again told me I was wrong. When I finally said, ' would you like to see his first win picture and his tattoo?" I think she finally believed me.

Now, admittedly my OTTB is built like a brick outhouse. He's got a chest on him and barrel and butt that is BIG! Talk about a full-bodied horse! He also does not have a particularly lovely, elegant, refined head either as well as a pig eye (god I hate that term!). He really does look more like a warmblood that a lot of warmbloods.

I also had a little QH that was mistaken for either a 1/2 Arab or Connemara because of the cute dished face, and refined build.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Several years ago one of my relatives leased a registered Quarter Horse for their child to take lessons on (they let me ride him too!). The first day we were all together at the barn watching child's lesson, my relative turned to me and said, "OK, I know he's a Quarter Horse, but what exactly does that mean? ... Is he a quarter horse and three quarters ... ?"

She didn't finish her question and I was laughing too hard to answer it anyway.

I did finally tell her the truth, but three quarters of my mind were making up so many other answers ... !
    Rack on!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackonteur View Post
    Several years ago one of my relatives leased a registered Quarter Horse for their child to take lessons on (they let me ride him too!). The first day we were all together at the barn watching child's lesson, my relative turned to me and said, "OK, I know he's a Quarter Horse, but what exactly does that mean? ... Is he a quarter horse and three quarters ... ?"

She didn't finish her question and I was laughing too hard to answer it anyway.

I did finally tell her the truth, but three quarters of my mind were making up so many other answers ... !
    Several years ago I got a call from a relative. She'd purchased a Missouri Foxtrotter and wanted to know how to get the horse registered.

We went back and forth for awhile before I figured out she wanted to know how to register her horse in Kansas, where she lives ... not Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    My TWH has been called a few things over the years...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ws/final/2.jpg

QH
    Morgan
    Saddlebred
    TB
    Belgian (still scratching my head on that one)
    Warmblood (riiiiiiight)

and I'm sure others....
    I am not surprised re Saddlebred.

I haven't been paying attention to TWH for *decades* but like the COTH rescue TWH Roy, yours definitely - at least in my opinion - has more than just the "yes, these breeds share foundation sires" look of ASB.

Are we absolutely sure that some ASB blood didn't sneak into the TWH breed at some point in the last 40 years, kind of like it did with the Morgans?

Meanwhile, here's mine: 17.2 hands of full-on TB-tude if ever there was... and mistaken for a warmblood every. single. time.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

This was my TB stallion. I had a hard time convincing people was a full TB at times. 15.3 and solid. People thought has was taller as well, I think that was the high set neck.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...atrick6yrs.jpg

Christa

I had a cobby, straight-profiled Arab gelding who was mistaken for a small Lippizzan, an Andalusian, and once, a guy walked past us and remarked, "Nice Appaloosa"!

My admittedly small (14.3) WB mare was ALWAYS mistaken for an Arab or Arab cross. She did have a pretty little dishy face, so it was understandable.

I'm starting to confuse my bay Thoroughbred mare with some other breed... ...what is it called? Oh yeah, Hereford:

http://www.cowpictures.co.uk/ssi/gra...s/hereford.jpg

Years ago, we were at the track watching a friend of ours' horses race at the track. They were his two best sprinters, Kona Gold and Son of a Pistol, and they both happened to be in the same race.

Watching those two in the paddock and saddling enclosure, I could not get over how BOTH of these horses were the same breed. They looked NOTHING alike. Kona was a big, beefy, QH-looking bulldog of a boy. Pistol was more like your typical long and lean TB.

Let's see if I can dig up photos...
    Wow, I found a conformation shot of Pistol as a yearling!

Closest I can find to a conformation shot is Kona Gold in the winner's circle after winning the BC Sprint.

I know, these aren't a whole lot of use to compare, but I swear! They were hugely different in person!
    Last edited by Lauruffian; Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

This purebred Welsh pony I part-leased was mistaken for a Keeshond dog either here or on the UDBB (I forget which), based on this picture of his ears. I think the mane is pretty obvious, but I guess the way the bridle-path grew out just made it look like a ruff.

When I was in High School, kids and the occasional adult mistook my purebred Chow for a bear cub all the time. One of them, around 2-years old, reached *INTO* the dog's mouth and pulled on his tongue, while going "bear! bear! bear!"

The dog whimpered, set back for a second, then remembered his "give to pressure" training and stretched his neck out, shifting his weight forward. His sister and I had to pry his fingers off one at a time, and the dog just stood patiently through it with his mouth wide open.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

I live in Quarter Horse country. Most are ranch horse types.

Horse #1 Old Style Morgan - That's not a Quarter Horse! (Oh really??)

Horse#2 Half Arab/DHH cross - Is that a quarter horse? (nope)

I don't mind the confusion. In fact, discussing our horses' breeding is a great icebreaker.

What a GOOD doggie, Whisper! Poor guy!

My TB mare has been mistaken as a QH. She's fine boned and not stocky, but maybe it was because I ride her in a hackamore and she is pretty been there done that.