The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

How about someone mistaking a 16.3 h.h. near-leopard bay roan Appy - regular spots, peacock spots, etc. for an ARABIAN?!?!?!!? Happened to me on a trail ride once. (Obviously not horse people, but funny nevertheless).

2 members found this post helpful.

Nobody has ever mistaken my horse for anything but what he is - a Paso Fino. I board at an "A" Arabian and Half Arab show barn, the BO/trainer calls him their "token" Paso Fino.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

My girl is racing bred TB on one side and Impressive QH on the other. She is 16h and 1,350 so not exactly a light-boned dainty little thing. People guess TB or WBx (that one comes up when she's overweight).

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...es/canter2.jpg

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Tip (shown here standing for conformation and trying to eat my sister) has been mistaken for a Thoroughbred (don't see it,) top of the line large Welsh pony cross (he's 15.2 1/2,) and Welsh Cob. He is an ISH.

My first horse, John, was a Thoroughbred who was often mistaken for a Hanoverian. A very strongly-built horse and an understandable mistake.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

[QUOTE Registered Morgan (lippit lines) ... I was at a local show, showing him in hand in an open halter class, and the JUDGE asked me "Is he full QH or just part?" and I laughed and said "He's a registered Morgan..." and she gave me a funny look and just said "Oh, he's so thick..." QUOTE]

This happened to me last year with my Lippitt. Two gals came up to ask what he was, sure he wasn't Morgan because he's so thick. Which is sad.

He's also been mistaken for a Friesian. Twice. LOL

I've been asked if my other Morgan is a Saddlebred. Fair enough - he does look a little SBy - and has a few ancestors waaaaaaay back.
    Last edited by Tee; Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Wrong quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Since there are no Saddlebreds in my world except mine, every one of my trail ASB's is a TWH. Chess piece head set, leg wavin' TROT be damned.*sigh*

My previous horse was a black, 14.3 MFT, with thick wavy mane and tail. He had a little bit of 'shag' going on in his fetlocks and I never clipped him. I would get asked if he was a Fresian, typically by those who assumed all black, hairy horses must be.

I even had someone tell me while I was gaiting that 'my Fresian was lame'. Ok, thanks buddy! My miniature Fresian and I are going to foxtrot home now...

My 16.1 h zangersheide was guessed to be a Clyde cross. He is buff but not bulky like any draft cross I've ever seen. The justification was " but he has so much white on his face he has to have draft in him" since when does a white face mean draft?
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I leased a 17.2 apendix qh. Always got warmblood of some sort or people guessed tb sometimes as well.

My 21 yr old tb who is doing the low hunters with a girl now is almost always mistaken for a wb of some sort. I always correct and say he is a full tb which usually gets the response "wow, really?" or "he's thicker than my wb (insert type here)."

My current younger horse is a tbxtrak and he has horrid skin allergies which make him look more like a backyard qh then a well bred gelding. Eh well, he gets tb or qh or any other combo which makes me laugh. He does clean up well, but in the field he looks like a cow horse rubbing against a tree, not my novice event horse who can jump the moon.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I've had my senior TWH mistaken for a Morgan a few times. He's only 14.3H, has very refined head for a TWH, is built similar to a Morgan but, I didn't think he was THAT similar - lol

After he matured out pretty good (that means gained weight), I had someone, on a big organized ride, ask how I taught that Quarter Horse to gait so well

1 members found this post helpful.

Luckily my girl is branded so to other horse people, it's pretty obvious that she's Danish. Although I have gotten a few Oldenburg guesses. My BO asked me once when the group was infected with a case of the zoomies how much Arab she had in her.

My grandmother (who is 110% non-horsey, but likes to look at pictures) saw this gem and asked why our mule was so mad!

I had someone ask me at a show if my boy was a QH. Nope, he's a 17hh+ Trakehner. His dam is Trak/TB (sire is full Trak), but I still can't figure out why someone would think he was a QH.

I love that unicorn guess.

For a while I was using a mousy grey arabian for my main cowhorse, so helping the neighbors on him.
    Invariably, when I first pulled up somewhere with a new crew, they always asked, as if that was incredible, "is that an ... ayrab"?

Yep, he looks like one and is one.

No one made fun of him after we were working.
    He may not get down on a cow like a cowhorse, but not one got past him either and could outpull a dozer.
    He also did flag his tail.

I had before him an already turned white arabian of the old lines, heavier set type, that was always assumed to be a quarter horse, some even insisted they knew how he was bred, Hollywood Gold.
    Didn't really look like those lines, either.

The strangest guess was not a horse breed, but parked in the grocery store, my italian greyhound looking out the window, a family walked by, the kids asked what he was and the father explained that was a FERRET.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have a 16.2 branded SF gelding. He's lighter than some german bred WB's, but still looks very WB.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...12914023_n.jpg

I get asked all the time if he's QH (I do live in cowboy country) or TB. The most random have been Morgan and Arabian?! When I tell the average non-horsey or slightly horsey person what he is, they have no idea. I just call him a French Sporthorse for jumping and they kind of get it.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

My TB is petite and fine-boned and often gets accused of being an arab . . . I suppose because where I live there are lots of trail/endurance riders with arabs so people just lump him in that category when we're out on the trail.

With my mustang's big head and brand I don't think there's a chance of confusing him with anything else!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Living and riding in the land of hunter, jumpers and dressage, both of mine are often mistaken for warmbloods of some ilk...either full WB or GRP.

One is a 15.1hh 1/2 Arabian, 1/4 QH, 1/4 Belgian.
    The other is 16hh Welsh Cob/TB cross.

Go figure.

Mustang Zephyr has been mistaken for a:
    Arabian
    Morgan
    draft cross
    quarter horse
    small warmblood

I'm sure Xena will be mistaken for a TB when we're out and about. She's about the most un-mustang looking mustang I've ever seen.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

People always think my ottb is my Oldenburg and that the Oldenburg is the ottb.

This despite the fact that the Oldenburg has the "Oldenburg O" branded right there on his butt.

The tb is legitimately fatter though, so, I guess I can see where the confusion comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I have a 16.2 branded SF gelding. He's lighter than some german bred WB's, but still looks very WB.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...12914023_n.jpg

I get asked all the time if he's QH (I do live in cowboy country) or TB. The most random have been Morgan and Arabian?! When I tell the average non-horsey or slightly horsey person what he is, they have no idea. I just call him a French Sporthorse for jumping and they kind of get it.
    My hubby has a picture of Willow and I on his desk at work, and people ask him all the time what kind of horse she is. Not a single person understands Danish Warmblood (or even Warmblood....for that matter) so he's started calling her my SUV.

G is fully a TB and her Coggins last year came back marked "QH." She's a thicker build and WAS overweight then and they were not the most flattering pictures, to be honest.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?