The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

My OTTB has been called:
    Quarter Horse
    Morgan
    Arab (?? - Really??)
    Breeding Stock Paint
    When I say it's a TB I get This look and get asked what is he crossed with.
    When I show the tattoo they shut up.
    He's not very tall for a TB at 16 hands and fairly big boned.

My lip has been mistaken for an andi before, which isn't that weird. Normally what she gets mistaken for is pregnant!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    Everything with spots = Paint. Doesn't matter if the horse is gaiting when they see it, or if it's the half-arab (NSH) that's so typey he won on a National level in halter. The shetlands are "paint" minis.

If I actually liked Paints I'd probably be aggravated less by it.
    UGH...I had a friend (at the time) INSIST that my PUREBRED REGISTERED ARABIAN mare MUST have a Paint in her lineage because she has two belly spots (she is also registered as a Pinto). I nicely explained that Paints are a breed, and that not just Paints can have "spots" and such, therefore, when its a breed other than a Paint that has them, that horse is still it's own breed, it's just said to have PINTO markings.

Nope, she INSISTED that my mare had a Paint in there. I have her papers; you can barely pronounce any of the names in her pedigree...trust me, they are all Arabians!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

One of us, the mare: Vet (not THE vet but a vet who works for him) thinks she is a QH. So does the farrier who owned QHs. She's a WB. And has a pedigree and papers to prove it.

The other, the big stud: Every draught horse imaginable. Duh, he's got a TB size head, and just cause he's big boned, and over 16 hands, he's not a draught. He's a WB. And has a pedigree and papers to prove it.

I was informed at a Combined Test that my Appendix QH "must" be a WB because "that is the only type of horse that would have a trot that springy!" Ermmm...no.

Shortly thereafter, my OTTB was called a QH, which made me crack up. Yes, he has great leg bone, but at 16.2 with pinfired front shins, a classic TB head and a big swinging trot, that's a bit of a stretch!

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to lease a 14.3hh (on a tall day) bay mare with high whites and lots of roaning. She was by a Hanoverian stallion out of a QH. One of the little lesson girls asked me one day if she was a Clydesdsale like the Budwiser ones on TV. Uh, nope

My Anglo-Trakehner has been called a QH twice that I know of. The first time, when told what she actually is the person who said it replied "she too quiet to be a Trakehner." The second time, I think it was her size (15.3) more than anything. I'm not bothered by it as I happen to like QH's as well.

My 16.2 hand Anglo-Trak had to go to a respected vet clinic for a NQR exam last fall. I told them she was a Trakehner but when I got there they had her listed as a TWH. Guess the clerk had never heard of a Trak. The assistant took one look at her and said that is NOT a TWH. The vet at one point started talking about "these horses come off the track and..." Um, so not a TB either (although I loved her TB dam). She's built like a tank. Apparently he hadn't heard of Trak's either as when I mentioned the breed the response was something like "oh, so that's some kind of warmblood." Most people just look at her 16.2 built like a tank body and ask what she is. Oh, and after a couple of weeks, she was fine. Whew!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I am often asked what breed of warmblood is Louie? He's not - he is an unraced 100% Thoroughbred whose lineage can be traced to Man O' War. http://www.pedigreequery.com/legal+moves Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutie Lou.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	38331
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

My bay Arabian mare looks like a Welsh Cob.
    My OTTB looks like a WB
    My 1/2 Arab mare looks "otherworldly"..
    and my Andalusian colt was accused of looking like a deer when he was 6 months old..LOL

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    and my Andalusian colt was accused of looking like a deer when he was 6 months old..LOL
    OOoo, someone once said one of my newborn IDSH fillies looked like a pink calf

My mare has been called Arabian, QH, Morgan.

She's an OTTB . I need to train her to flip her lip .

(She is only 14.2 with a stocky build and refined pony-cute face so I can see why she's been called lots of other things - NO one has ever guessed OTTB )
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I had a lovely very typey bay arab gelding. He was a Khemo grandson which made him very typey, and Silverdrift grandson on the bottom which made him quite stocky.

In the summer time (he was really slick coated, and very muscled up from endurance riding) I pulled him off the trailer for a local poker ride. A guy came up and said, "that is a really nice looking mustang you got there". He believed my gelding was a mustang by his freeze mark. He had a Kyro Kenetics freeze mark and thought he was a mustang. He did think he had a nice head for a 'stang.

My black Rocky mare gets mistaken for a TWH, a QH, or warmblood. I ride in english tack so people think she is a warmblood of some sort. She has never been called an arab though.

My horses have never been mistaken for any other breed.

They're clearly Arabians to anyone who knows horses, although the German clinician kept referring to my usual mount as the "pony."

At 15h, he's technically too tall to be considered a pony, herr doktor. But since he is ~2 hands shorter than any other horse here, I'll give you a pass on that one.

3 members found this post helpful.

OTTB frequently mistaken for a WB. Moves like one too )
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

My guy is a 3/4 TB 1/4 perch draft cross. If I was going to mistake him for anything, it would probably be some brand of quarterhorse cross. But I was riding once, and a local dressage trainer was insistent that not only was he a Hanoverian, he was a specific Hanoverian that she knew from another farm, even though I told her I'd bought him as a weanling several times. "Are you sure?" Yes, I'm pretty darned sure!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The strangest guess was not a horse breed, but parked in the grocery store, my italian greyhound looking out the window, a family walked by, the kids asked what he was and the father explained that was a FERRET.
    We went camping with our full sized greyhound one summer and had a couple of kids ask us why we had a goat on a leash.

9 members found this post helpful.

I had a Morgan mare in a part of the country where Morgans are not very common. People used to guess just about every breed except Morgan. One clinician who came to my barn frequently (not one I rode with) swore up and down she was a small Hanoverian, which I found rather hilarious.

She had a foal by an Oldenburg sire (before I knew her) which I'm told was registered as an American Warmblood. I don't know the breeder, but I imagine it was one of those folks who think warmblood = $$$, unconditionally. That said, I did track down the baby and he is a nice horse.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    We went camping with our full sized greyhound one summer and had a couple of kids ask us why we had a goat on a leash.
    Our small animal vet has three greyhounds off the track, two are blood donors, although they all are his pets.
    Those have at times also been called goats at some of the Muttfest days we help with for the local shelter.

Guess it is the long legs?

Years ago when out in the trail some dudes insisted that my husband's 2000+ lb BelgainxQH to be a Morgan, completely missing the "real" Morgan I was riding. They were quite miffed when we informed them that, "no, that one has no Morgan in him - though this one, about half the size, is a pure bred, registered Morgan."