The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: What Breed Has Your Horse Been Mistaken For?

Just finished reading the Strangest Cross thread and it got me thinking... has anyone else's horse been mistaken for a completely different breed?

I have a German Riding Pony who has been assumed to be a QH, Paint, and a Welsh cross (at least that one was close!). He's kind of a "rare" breed where I am, so people don't automatically guess GRP.

Anyone else have horses with mistaken identities?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

1 members found this post helpful.

The most common error is to call a Mangalarga Marchador an Arabian or a Paso Fino. Correction is usually fairly simple.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Thoroughbred. He is roughly 1/2 TB though so fair enough, easy enough assumption, though he doesn't look full TB to my eyes. ISH mare x Anglo Arab sire.

I've had a dentist/farrier/saddle fitter referring to him as a nice little TB, and a friend we were cantering next to XC schooling ask me if he's been in training.

When I had my old horse, a Welsh Cob x TB, as a yearling I had some passersby to his field asking me if he was a Clydesdale foal...lol

My favourite though, was when my grey (as in pure shiny white) RID mare came cantering out of the woods in her field, in view of two ladies walking on the footpath that goes by her field, one of them exclaimed to her friend 'OMG IT'S A UNICORN!! ...oh no it's a horse".

16 members found this post helpful.

I have a reining quarter horse that is very lightly made and some think he is an arabian cross when he is very fit.
    Many Doc O Lenas are very lightly built, but that doesn't mean they are not tough as nails. He is in his mid teens and still completely sound.
    While being very light of bone can be a fault, if the rest of the horse's conformation indicates the horse should be more substantial, for some horses being light is not a weakness, just as it is not in many so built arabians.

All of my welsh cobs, unless the person looking/inquiring is familiar with the breed, automatically are assumed to be morgans. I'm sure part of it's the color because I have all bays or buckskins though even the chestnuts I've had in the past were most often assumed to be morgans as well. Now the crosses (welsh cob x), well the guesses are all over the map. QH x is probably the most common unless I get a cross with a lot of feather.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

People always used to ask me if my old Morgan who was chestnut with flaxen points was part Belgian. And many people (who should know better) insisted that he had to be because of his color.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My TWH is never confused for anything but, however my mother owns a Racking horse (Breed registry, not gait registry) and nobody ever knows what the heck he is. Most of the time they don't even try to guess, they just ask, "What IS he?"

Here's my TWH:
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ssHighLine.jpg
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...uinnessNMe.jpg

Here's Mom's 'Mystery Horse':
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...82/Beezley.jpg
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...omnBeezley.jpg

A neighbor of my BO thought my B/W Pinto ASB was a TB. And this while atop his own horse, so not a complete newbie.

Love the Unicorn one!

My TB is very large boned, and he is often mistaken for some kind of warmblood. I personally still think he looks like a TB more than anything in terms of his head and how he is put together, but I can see why people might think he is a warmblood.

Registered Morgan (lippit lines) ... I was at a local show, showing him in hand in an open halter class, and the JUDGE asked me "Is he full QH or just part?" and I laughed and said "He's a registered Morgan..." and she gave me a funny look and just said "Oh, he's so thick..."

My blue roan QH gelding has been called a gray (not really a breed confusion but that one always gets me) and at one show, I had a guy ask me if he was a registered appaloosa because of his "spots" ... He has no spots, BTW
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

People usually guess that my horse is at least half QH (which he is - his dam is a daughter of Doc O Lena), but that leaves the other half of him open for discussion. They usually either guess that he's full QH or that his sire was an Akhal-Teke, a saddlebred, a TB, a Morgan, or a WB.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Had someone ask me if my TB was an Appaloosa once because she had developed a few white hairs on her rump.

My 17.3 hand Oldenburg had his breed listed as QH on his coggins....uh, no. Had that fixed.

I have a beautiful mahogany bay Connemara mare (14 hands.) Nobody seems to know what she is. Suggestions range from quarter horse to well, we just don't know. Everybody likes her, but they all have to ask what she is.

I have a leggy, 16 hand solid paint. He has been mistaken for a walking horse(????), a warmblood, and several times an Arabian (he is over 16 hands and bulky)!

The funniest one was when we were at a hunter pace and a girl was convinced he was a ottb she took lessons on. She argued with me that it was the same horse and preceded to tell me I just did not know his history! He as APHA papers, no lip tatto and I have owned him since he was a yearling! Weird!

My first horse was mistaken for an Arab cross (she was registered AQHA but carried her tail proudly).

My large standard donkey gets called a mule all the time. People azzume an azz is supposed to be little. Not my azz. It's big, brown, and very hairy.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Registered Morgan (lippit lines) ... I was at a local show, showing him in hand in an open halter class, and the JUDGE asked me "Is he full QH or just part?" and I laughed and said "He's a registered Morgan..." and she gave me a funny look and just said "Oh, he's so thick..."

My blue roan QH gelding has been called a gray (not really a breed confusion but that one always gets me) and at one show, I had a guy ask me if he was a registered appaloosa because of his "spots" ... He has no spots, BTW
    I have a Blue Roan QH with incredible cutting lines. In the middle of my ranch pleasure class, a guy on the rail asked me if he was a mustang!

Everything with spots = Paint. Doesn't matter if the horse is gaiting when they see it, or if it's the half-arab (NSH) that's so typey he won on a National level in halter. The shetlands are "paint" minis.

If I actually liked Paints I'd probably be aggravated less by it.

4 members found this post helpful.

My ISH are often thought to be WB -even have a comment from a dressage judge - nice oldstyle WB, we need more like him
    My Irish Draughts have been many types of drafts or draft X
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Ha, my mare is so clearly Appaloosa that I don't think she could be mistaken for anything else. She does do the snorty-floaty trot-tail flagging thing quite well at times -- that's when I call her my imitation Arabian.

I have a 14.2 Kentucky Mtn Horse who is flea-bitten gray. He is often mistaken for an Arab... of course I do distance riding, where it seems like 90% Arabs and 80% of those are gray. I have surprised some people when we start gaiting - they still think he's an Arab, just can't believe he gaits!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.