The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For the past 3 or 4 years I have carried Gordon's "Horse and Pony Spray" on my shoeing rig - only available at Tractor Supply. Same active ingredient as Pyranah (Fly Away) at half the cost. It smells like baby oil and it makes a horse really slippery - so don't put it under your saddle pad.

Other brands that my clients use that seem to be effective when I am working on their horses;

Ultrashield
    Mosquito Halt
    Endure
    Pyranah

1 members found this post helpful.

Anything with Permethrin (Repel-X, Ultra Shield EX, Pyranha, etc.) is effective, since Permethrin is a pesticide. Use caution when using these products, however, because they can be highly toxic to dogs and barn cats. It's a neurotoxin, and while it's most harmful to frogs, fish, etc. it can be really bad for other pets as well.I have heard horror stories of dogs eating hoof trimmings from horses sprayed with Repel-X and then having symptoms of toxicity. Permethrin products should also not be used on pregnant or nursing mares, which is a big red flag for me. I'll take some bug bites and foot stomping, thanks.

I use the fly predators and Freedom 45 spot-on until the big black flies show up and then I spray with either Super Shield Red or Endure. One suggestion: if you are going to spray your horse, ride and then hose the horse off you might as well use something cheap because they'll usually last for a couple of hours; on the other hand, if you are spraying a horse that isn't going to be ridden for a few days it's worth the extra money to use the more expensive 7-14 day sprays.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebaypony View Post
    I use the fly predators and Freedom 45 spot-on until the big black flies show up and then I spray with either Super Shield Red or Endure. One suggestion: if you are going to spray your horse, ride and then hose the horse off you might as well use something cheap because they'll usually last for a couple of hours; on the other hand, if you are spraying a horse that isn't going to be ridden for a few days it's worth the extra money to use the more expensive 7-14 day sprays.
    Seconding fly predators. They do wonders. I take for granted how few flies we have until I go to other barns in the area. The fly predators really make a difference.

grayarabpony is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Haven't really had to use any yet at home, HOORAY! I think I finally have the fly-control system tweaked just right.

At the barn where I take lessons I have a can of the Centaur aerosol (picaridin stuff) from last year that appears to be working well for about the duration of a lesson.

The bombers are out a month early this year.
    Click here before you buy.

for the past 15 years our farm has used white vinegar and blue dawn dish soap
    put vinegar in bottle and add enough soap till sky blue , the soap does not need to be exact. I understand the soap dish soap suffocated the flies and they are repelled by both ingredients. you spray horses till they are wet with it .

we used it daily on our school horses and they have never had a reaction to it. it lasts as long as commercial sprays and maybe longer. The flies also don't get immune to it either. Not useful for showing but sure cheaper and works for home
    dark horses will bleach out though

2 members found this post helpful.

FLICKS...have not used it this year but last year it definitely beat all the others.

I use Repel-X with some Lemon Grass Essential oil in it.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

I used to use Endure, but I just could not handle the pesticides in it anymore. So this year we are using Ultrasheid Green. Works just as well as the Endure and the horse's coats aren't all sticky. The horses don't mind being sprayed with it and when it ends up on me instead, I actually like it.
    I was riding in the arena and there was a fly that kept landing on me and then going for the horse but just could not find a place it liked. Kept coming back to me, then would try for the horse. Never landed on the horse at all. It was hilarious.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Or at all. I've been using Pyranha and it seems to have some small effect.
    I personally had used permethrin 10 (about 1cc) and i found it good in terms of keeping the flies way from the dwelling. You may also try Absorbine Ultra-Shield Sport. They are good too.

Well, I can tell you that Clac Deo Lotion isn't working for me. I have tried it in the past with no results, but got swindled to try it again by the good reviews at SmartPak.
    $20 I could have spent better elsewhere.
    My guys have fly sheets/neck covers/leg wraps/masks with ears. I use Repel-X lotion on the spots that get bitten in between. UltraShield and TriTec work well, but I avoid pesticides as much as I can, and its a huge money drain. I use them when I ride in our outdoor because the HORSE FLIES come out. That ruins a good ride in a hurry. :x
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    FLICKS...have not used it this year but last year it definitely beat all the others.
    Agreed. The price is also fantastic.
    I also use Pyranha because I buy Flicks in the concentrate so I buy Pyranha for the spray bottles. I've found those generic spray bottles you can buy last maybe a week.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    None. I stopped buying fly spray a long time ago. My mare wears a fly mask with ears, fly boots, and SWAT along her belly. She has access to shelter so she goes inside when the bugs are bad. I got tired of wasting $$$$. I think bug spray companies run a huge marketing scam especially with their ridiculous claims .
    I have to agree with you... From now on I am investing in fly sheets; I think I'll save in the end. Maybe a spritz of something before a ride but I won't be buying more than a bottle a month.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester