The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which brand of fly spray is working best for you this year?

Or at all. I've been using Pyranha and it seems to have some small effect.

I really like the Absorbine Ultra-Shield Sport (in the blue bottle). For me, it actually does seem to work and last for several hours. It does exceptionally well against the terrible hoards of gnats we've had this year.
    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Talking

Original Wipe works great but doesn't last long enough. Flysect wasn't even making the flies mad and Repel works but fades away even faster than the Wipe.

I ordered some Zonk It - hopefully it will work. Maybe I should just be happy the Wipe works and reapply more often.

I've been using Deo Lotion (7:1) with a small amout of permethrin 10 (about 1cc) in it. The Deo Lotion on its own doesnt repel ticks as to why i added the permethrin, not my tick issue is gone. And when needed Fly Rid Ointment. All have worked well so far this year.

Angry

I have used Absorbine Ultra Shield for a long time but it does not seem to work as well this year. So I will be trying Farnam Bite Free as other boarders at the ranch have said that works well.

I hate that producers/manufacturers of these items can state that they last 7 to 14 days. It would be nice if they lasted 7-14 hours. I am thinking we are lucky if they last that many minutes!

Are flies able to evolve to become immune to fly sprays? I am guessing if worms can become tolerant of de-wormers than flies can do something similar. I know they serve some sort of purpose in our ecosystem but I wish they didn't like horses or their manure at all!
    Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

I used Equispot by Farnam and it is working wonders. I don't need any extra fly spray when I ride for the first week and a half. Right when it is almost time to put a new dose I do need some fly spray but it still repels the ticks.

None. I stopped buying fly spray a long time ago. My mare wears a fly mask with ears, fly boots, and SWAT along her belly. She has access to shelter so she goes inside when the bugs are bad. I got tired of wasting $$$$. I think bug spray companies run a huge marketing scam especially with their ridiculous claims .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

3 members found this post helpful.

No matter what brand you use, it only lasts about 24 hours max.

Doctors Foster and Smoth have the tritec for a good price per gallon. Plus if you order 2 gallons, you get free shipping, no FOB or additional charges for the weight.

Endure is also a good spray but not found at the price that F&S has tritec for.

Absorbine UltraShield Ex. $$$ but it WORKS.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Pyranah seems to be working really well this year. That said, *knock on wood* the flies aren't that bad.
    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

I spray this on the stall walls inside which horsies spend the day with their fans. The repellent and fan wind seems to do the trick. They go out at night when flies don't bother them. Having barn swallows by the hundred does not hurt either !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I love the Equicare Flysect Citronella spray, and it seems to be working well this year, but I'm also on my 2nd year of fly predators. I'm not sure if its the fly predators, or the cool weather we've been having so far this year, but I seem to be having NO fly problems this year.

I do put fly sheets on mine if its in the low 80's and also for night turnout. So far, so good, hopefully whatever I'm doing keeps working.

Last year was horrible, and I got so desperate that I finally bought the really bad fly bait granules and put that around places in the barn where I knew none of the animal could get into it. That stuff is nasty, but I found a LOT of dead flies under the bait stations!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    Absorbine UltraShield Ex. $$$ but it WORKS.
    That's what I've been using since last summer. Lovesit.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Fly paper. On the horse I use what I have, which is Horse and Pony Spray from TSC, but I'd rather not use too much pesticide so the fly paper it is. Or captivator traps but the stanky stuff isn't always consistent.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    That's what I've been using since last summer. Lovesit.
    Me, too! My horse is kept on a farm surrounded by thick brush, forested areas, and swamp. The bugs are horrendous, but this product is the only thing that actually gives him some temporary relief. It definitely doesn't last 24 + hours like it's supposed to, but we can go for a ride without him being eaten alive.

Endure is working great for my sensitive skin Appy mare.

Absorbine Ultra Shield in the black bottle. It's the only thing I've found that works at all. I'll also do a light spray of Deep Woods Off before I ride if the bugs are really bad.

Also Off sprayed onto one of those crocheted fly bonnets helps keep the bugs off. I prefer not spraying it directly on his face.

Absorbine Ultrashield in the black bottleis still working for me and doesn't irritate my gelding's skin. I found great no-name fly spray at Runnings that killed flieson contact, but it bothered my horse's skin. The two geriatric cowhorses with skin of iron get that, and it does quite well for them.

Yep, the black bottle is UltraShield Ex.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Apple cider vinegar. About $4 per gallon. Works against everything including bees. Ferment some garlic in it and you're golden I only use it when I ride.