The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Super dumb question about Adequan loading dose schedule....

OK, so I totally suck at math, but since the 10 dose vial that I just bought was not cheap, I want to make sure I get the dosing schedule correct. I am giving my horse 1 shot every 4 days, for 28 days, for a total of 7 doses - though the vial contains 10 - as recommended by my vet and the Adequan website.

The first dose was given yesterday, so.....does the next dose need to be given Sunday, or Monday? and in, either case, I am not coming up with 28 days?

I know this should be obvious to me, but I want to make sure I get this right - I have never been so scared of breaking a vial in my life! (and yes, it's in my house, in a bubble wrapped package, lol)

I'm no math major either.....but when I figured it out on my calendar, it comes out to 29 days. But yes, 7 x 4 = 28

The way I've always done it is 3 days between doses, so you're giving it on the 4th day. If you gave it on Thursday, your next dose will be Monday.

And yes, I hate having something so breakable & expensive. I always watch the temperature guide too - trying to remember not to leave it in the car when it's 80 degrees & I'm going to the barn after work.

My vet said to count the first dose as day zero and give the next dose on day four. She says this method makes it easier for people to remember.

jnel - thanks, that does make it easier. Like I said, dumb question, but I know I can't be the only one!

Just out of curiosity, where did you find Adequan? I have been trying to get it for my horse for the last few months and no luck until the company starts making more again...

I bought some from a sweet friend. .

I thought I had read recently (possible COTH) that by August the supply would be returning...am I crazy, or does someone else recall this?
    "It is the tragedy of the world that no one knows what he doesn't know--and the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything." Joyce Cary

I just bought a 50cc bottle from my vet yesterday. He said the small bottles are on backorder but not the 50cc bottles.

My vet to make it easy, do Sunday and Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    My vet to make it easy, do Sunday and Thursday.
    Years ago when I gave Adequan to my horse I too was confused on what was day 1 and day 4, so I emailed Luitpold. They clarified it for me (can't remember of course) but also mentioned that some vets had seen good results when using a similar schedule to the one Summit Springs Farm mentioned. (The days of the week don't matter, just pick the same two days each week for the 4 weeks.) They of course couldn't officially recommend it.