The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bridle ideas for young gelding

Hi all,
    What sort of bridle do you think would look good on my 4yo WBXTB? He has such a lovely face I was thinking a thin strapped one with billets as opposed to buckles. Brass instead of stainless? Also what colour would suit? He doesn't need a hanovarian.

Thanks in advance!

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...ash/tanny2.jpg
    http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...jash/tanny.jpg

Gorgeous face! I have a Trak mare with a very delicate face and I put her in a Schumacher horse-sized bridle (thinner widths that accentuated her face). Her double bridle is an Anky rolled bridle and looks great on her. I currently have young Westphalen gelding with a very dishy face and a small muzzle. He's in a Kavalcade crank bridle (which I prefer, because the crank is wide and cushy and comfy). He does go at the "near ends" of the buckles, though. Both horses are very dark bay, and the bridles are all black.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Thanks for your input! I think black, too. Would love to see a pic of your mare wearing them?

I've recently bought a Schockemohle Ashford for my mare - same colour as your gelding, similar head.

I love it. It looks lovely, and is attracting quite a few comments from people who see it saying how much they like it. I've never been a fan of rolled bridles, though this one is half rolled and I think it looks lovely.

This is the bridle, though mine came with a wider noseband than in this picture.
    http://bit.ly/155Y6gz

Whatever you go for, I'd definitely choose black for your boy. Either brass or stainless - I love brass on my mare, who as I said is the same colour as your boy, but really like this silver/stainless on her as well.

Thank you! That bridle looks nice not sure if we get them in Aus. but I will look!

Are you in Australia too?

I bought mine online and had it shipped over... couldn't find it in any of the saddleries here!

Ha! Didn't even see that you were from Sydney, me too! Small world I googled them & there's a few online saddleries that show them on the website but whether or not they actually have them might be a different story! Have you seen any Mal Byrne bridles in person? They look so nice on the website (I'd imagine super pricey tho).

Very small!

I haven't seen any Mal Byrne bridles, though people always rave about them. They do look nice, though!