The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fedex NIGHTMARE!!!!

So.... this morning, a client orders semen. We collect, package, and I wrestle the Equitainer taping the HECK out of it, so that it could not POSSIBLY open without extreme effort, due to a taped up Equitainer arriving open to a client last week.....

My husband drove the semen to Fedex, waited in line, and the person working at the counter moved aside some packages so he could set down the Equitainer. She thanked him, told him to have a nice day, and he left.

I ALWAYS get the "Tendered to FedEx" e-mail within just a couple of minutes of the package arriving at FedEx. I didn't get one when I thought I should, so I called my husband to see if he had dropped it off yet. YES, he did. He told me that the lady working was not the usual one, and so I figured it would show up in the system soon.

An hour later, still no e-mail, and still nothing showing on tracking. Feeling that was weird, I called Fedex, and was informed that certainly it would show up in their system in a few hours. That was at 2pm when I talked to them, and our cutoff time is 3pm.

At 4:20, I realized I STILL had not received the tendered e-mail, and I called again. Again I was assured that it would show up at some point. I asked for the number to my local Fedex office, and they would not give that to me, but transferred me to them.

After a very long time on hold, I finally get a lady on the phone that is the person usually working when I drop off semen. She knows who I am and what I ship, and she told me that "Oh, I saw that go out on the cart this afternoon. Don't worry! It will show up when they scan it at the next stop."

I was feeling relieved, though still concerned that it hadn't showed up in the system.

I had a friend come over to see foals shortly after that, and we wandered all over the farm looking at ponies. When I came back in, I checked the phone machine, and discovered, to my horror, a message from the Fedex lady saying that she talked to the other lady that was working and "nobody brought in that kind of container while she was working today".

OMG.

I am having a HEART ATTACK here!!!!

WHAT did they do with my Equitainer?????

I've had problems before with shipments arriving opened or even with the entire contents missing, but since I started taping ALL the heck out of them with Gorilla tape, that has not been a problem -- until last week's shipment.

I don't know what to do. I don't have any proof that I actually DID give the package to FedEx -- so that means my Equitainer is GONE -- and worse than that, my client may not receive their shipment tomorrow! UGH!!!!!

ANY advice on dealing with Fedex would be MOST appreciated.

I plan to go there in person tomorrow -- and I'm hoping that they have surveillance tape -- does anyone know if they normally would?

So upset!!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Can you do down to the FedEx store you mailed it from and look around with them? If it wasn't scanned and shipped out, it must still be there, right? Unless someone stole it, but that seems unlikely.
    When your hubby dropped it off, he didn't get any kind of slip with the tracking info? You have an account and they bill by your address....or something? I'm confused about the shipping protocol. Ah wait....you must have an account and print your own labels! I guess in the future I'd want some kind of paperwork in hand when I dropped it off.
    I hope this gets worked out for you!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I have taken over 50 containers to fedex just recently. I take it to the fed ex facility myself. I stand there and watch them type the into into the machine, I watch them take the one copy off and just leave the last one with the equitainer. I wait until they give me the receipt so I can let my customers know what the shipping cost is. I check that receipt before I leave and read it all. When I get home I go to the computer and check to make sure it is all punched in (if it is not at this point something is very wrong)......then I check it about 2 hrs later to see that it is moving and when it says it should be arriving.
    Did your husband just leave without his receipt? Just wondering. If so.......why?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I am definitely going down tomorrow!

We have a Fedex account, and we print our own labels and drop off the package either at Fedex, or a little local mailbox type place. We've been driving the 50 mile round trip to/from Fedex lately, because I want to be SURE the packages get there. So this was one of those times, and since we have an account, we just give them the package and leave. They have never given us (or even offered) any kind of receipt. And since this has never happened before, I never even thought of getting one!

I've sent 100's of shipments this exact way -- and I can't figure out WHAT caused this problem this time.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com

I've been "on" this thing all day, and would have driven there this afternoon, except that everyone involved with Fedex kept telling me everything should be fine!

Oh my - one can only imagine what your client is thinking.

Fedex lost my semen shipment - but the next one made it in time so I did get a baby - they paid the extra collection AND sent me a basket of fruit.

That was 11 years ago and I have the lovely mare to prove it
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I go to the main fedex facility for drop off. A few years ago i started making sure i got a receipt. Now they just type it all in and give me the receipt.

Judging from what our facility looks like it could have gotten moved into the background without a lable. It is prob. right there and its just a shame you could not have gotten there to check. I am just hyper about dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's........
    well have to go.......need to re-check the shipment from today. I check them all the way to the finish line. LOL.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

My shipments arrive at Fedex with labels ALREADY on them, Sandy. Fedex has to do nothing, but take the shipment -- which they did.

I do go to my main Fedex facility, and that was where this package went. It's not a mailbox store or anything else -- it's THE FedEx location. The next closest ones are an hour and twenty minutes away (one way) in either direction.

I've used this facility for more than 10 years.

They have never offered me a receipt, and until you mentioned that you get one, I didn't even know that was an option. I have a Fedex account that I have used for years, and I've always done my own labels. I also have never had a package just *disappear* into thin air before, so it's hard to know how to proceed.

No help here, I ship stuff from FedEx all the time and always stand there to get a receipt before leaving. Please let us know what happens, hoping it is resolved easily and quickly!

I'm like Sandy, I always wait at the Fed-Ex facility until they scan it into the system and then I get a receipt that they've accepted it. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, I've got no proof and no way to go after them. Hopefully it turns up soon!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

The receipt is basically the tracking number. I too am OCD about it all. We either have the delivery guy pick up the container from the farm, or we drive it into town to the main FedEx store to send it out. I have my own account number, but either from driver or from the desk clerk I always have gotten a copy that they tear off and give to me. It has the tracking number on it so that I can "track" my shipments. We try to also call the MO and tell them the track number and they can track it as well - this had helped a couple of times as the driver on the receiving end has not thought that the equitainer needed to be one of the first stops of the day but one of his last stops instead and with the abilty to track the shipment we were able to "see" that, call and complain and get the shipment to the mare owner in a more timely manner.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

AND.... I was just getting ready to collect and re-ship, and the mare owner called home (he's on the road) and his wife just reported that the semen was just delivered!!!

The tracking STILL only shows that I printed a label. It at least saves me having to go to Fedex and wringing their necks! I guess (?????) their tracking system must be broken, because nobody I talked to yesterday had any different information than I could see via the tracking page.

So, so weird.

But I'm SO relieved that it is there!!!!!

11 members found this post helpful.

It still does not explain the person saying nothing like that came in that day.

Glad it was delivered safely.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It still does not explain the person saying nothing like that came in that day.
    I agree.

I have NO idea what, exactly went on here.

You'd think driving it TO the Fedex hub, handing it over the counter to a uniformed Fedex employee would be just like it had been hundreds of times before!!

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    AND.... I was just getting ready to collect and re-ship, and the mare owner called home (he's on the road) and his wife just reported that the semen was just delivered!!!

The tracking STILL only shows that I printed a label. It at least saves me having to go to Fedex and wringing their necks! I guess (?????) their tracking system must be broken, because nobody I talked to yesterday had any different information than I could see via the tracking page.

So, so weird.

But I'm SO relieved that it is there!!!!!

YAY!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Yeah, we've already had at least one Fed Ex snafu. Semen delivered 8 days late, Fed Ex said "whatever." Among everything else, we've completely missed a cycle.

I had this same problem with Fedex this week, but not with semen. I shipped a bridle that I was returning. The person sent me a shipping label and I took the box to drop it off, it was all set to go.

I never got an email that I dropped the box off at the shipping place, the package looked like it had never been received by fedex and was never scanned. I called fedex and they told me it was still at the shipping company. I call the shipping company and they assured me it was shipped out. It did arrive at its location, but the entire time the item was never scanned.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    I had this same problem with Fedex this week, but not with semen. I shipped a bridle that I was returning. The person sent me a shipping label and I took the box to drop it off, it was all set to go.

I never got an email that I dropped the box off at the shipping place, the package looked like it had never been received by fedex and was never scanned. I called fedex and they told me it was still at the shipping company. I call the shipping company and they assured me it was shipped out. It did arrive at its location, but the entire time the item was never scanned.
    That is so weird! Sounds like they must be having some kind of problem with their system. Really nerve wracking though, and it makes no way to follow along with the shipment to make sure it is where it is supposed to be.

Glad your shipment got there also!

Glad all ended well. I had to take a shipment after your ordeal....on our end there was no problem with scanning it in and tracking it like usual. Don't know whats going on at your end of the country.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

FedEx are having problems - their fiscal year starts 1st June, so that was the date when the new business model rolled out. Originally, FedEx was set up as an Express delivery system, but costs have made people opt more and more for ground (consider Amazon whose plan is to have next day shipping all over the country) - so they re-organized and this is how it has panned out - they don't have enough personnel or enough infrastructure left to do a proper job of express delivery.

(I overheard a conversation while I was waiting for them to find my semen at the airport - I had to pick it ip because it was delayed on the tarmac somewhere else and there were not going to be any deliveries that day)