The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I may have the dumbest question of all time...

This week was the first week of horse camp. At the end of every week, we have a costume contest for the kids and horses. The kids are allowed to bring props, ribbons, scarves, etc. They are also allowed to bring spray-in washable hair dye and paint the horses' bodies. We are super strict about checking all the dye and only allowing counselors to spray the horses...but I think you can see where this is going. This year, someone brought in a homemade spray bottle of permanent human hair dye! They sprayed a (palomino) pony's legs and put a splotch on the white part of a paint before we caught it. The BO is at a horse show, and while I know he won't be pleased, I'm not concerned about getting in trouble so much as being exposed for the big idiot I quite clearly am. We washed each horse 4-5 times with Ivory and I applied blueing and left it on for an hour and rinsed it out. Nothing. I plan to body clip the pony anyhow, but I'm at a loss about the paint. Is there anything that will take hair dye off of a white horse?

maybe rubbing alcohol? I think that's what the hairdressers use to get stray hair dye off your forehead.

What about hair bleach? Like the stuff that people use to get blonde highlights in their hair or to go from a dark haircolor to a lighter hair color by bleaching and then re-dying?

I'm definitely nervous about applying anything to the skin of this white-haired, pink-skinned paint. She sunburns easily and has thin skin. I was thinking a bit of hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing a few times a day. I am afraid hair bleach will irritate her skin. Thankfully the hair dye did not cause irritation.

I'll try a bit of rubbing alcohol, although it's probably too late for that to help.

You won't believe this...but crush a bunch of vitamin C tablets (preferably white) mixed with a tablespoon or two of shampoo..make a paste...and leave it on for 45 minutes and then suds it up and rinse it out. Google it. I used it to get dye out of my hair, and it worked like a charm. You could do a test spot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    You won't believe this...but crush a bunch of vitamin C tablets (preferably white) mixed with a tablespoon or two of shampoo..make a paste...and leave it on for 45 minutes and then suds it up and rinse it out. Google it. I used it to get dye out of my hair, and it worked like a charm. You could do a test spot.
    I wonder if this might help get stains off of 2 grey ponies in my back field....

Prell shampoo (the super super cheap stuff, you might have to even look at the grocery store) is well known for stripping hair dye.

Try some QuikSilver- whitening for horses...takes all kinds of stains outta tails.

They actually sell hair dye remover. Called "oops" or something. I doubt it will turn a brown spot white again, but it may at least lighten it enough to it blends/grows out better.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

5 members found this post helpful.

Peroxide. Apply *lightly* with a cotton ball - you want to try to NOT get it into the skin if you can, so just glide it lightly along the surface of the hair.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

This is not the dumbest question I've ever heard...but it's definitely one of the funniest! Best wishes getting it off, I'll second the rubbing alcohol recommendation!

6 members found this post helpful.

How big is the spot? You could clip most of it out, if it didn't get to the roots.

I went to my friend's kids' "pageant" last year. THe last day of camp they demo'ed what they learned (walk, trot, stop, turn, etc) & they did it in costume. too cute!

I had a bit of a hair catastrophe when I was in college—Boones Farm Apple Wine may have been involved—and the Miss Clairol Hotline representative told me to use liquid Tide detergent. It did come out (sort of), but to nowhere near my natural color. I looked like I had mange for months, and my grandmother actually cried when she saw me!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

5 members found this post helpful.

That's why at my boarding barn's horse camps they supply the non-toxic fingerpaint to use on the horses. :-)

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Wonders12 View Post
    They actually sell hair dye remover. Called "oops" or something. I doubt it will turn a brown spot white again, but it may at least lighten it enough to it blends/grows out better.
    Color Oops. It worked for me.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Color Oops has LOTS of chemicals in it. I would hesitate to use it on any animal.

Fordtraktor has the best suggestion. The Vit-C paste has worked for me on just about anything, animals, carpets, furniture, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Besides Prell, the plain Suave shampoo might work. In case you can't find Prell, Suave is another option. It WILL strip color.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    That's why at my boarding barn's horse camps they supply the non-toxic fingerpaint to use on the horses. :-)
    Indeed. Lesson learned!

I think we need photos of the cute costume associated with this problem.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think we need photos of the cute costume associated with this problem.
    I was too busy smiling while silently cursing to take many pictures this camp. Here are a couple photos of the pony in question from spring break camp.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?...00004926100571

https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?...00004926100571

Sorry for the long urls, doing this on mobile!